Windows 10: Bringing the USB used for Windows 10 boot back to it's normal state

Discus and support Bringing the USB used for Windows 10 boot back to it's normal state in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi guys I shall explain what I mean in the title of this post. While making a Windows 10 boot USB I made an error and selected my external USB disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by belinea, Sep 25, 2016.

1. belinea Win User

Bringing the USB used for Windows 10 boot back to it's normal state

Hi guys

I shall explain what I mean in the title of this post. While making a Windows 10 boot USB I made an error and selected my external USB disk instead of a USB stick. After Media Tool was done with creating the boot USB, the system shows the USB disk as bootable one, which was expected, but also showing it's max capacity at 30GB instead of original 500GB.

Two questions:
    1) Is there anyway to revert and/or get back the data from the disk from before making it a bootable USB
    2) If the above is not possible, how to format it to it's original form. Currently when going to format tool it only shows me an options to formt as 30GB drive

Thanks in advance for help

:)

belinea, Sep 25, 2016
  2. AnneYYYY Win User

windows 10 has problem with reset, and windows 10 can not be booted again.

Thank you very much for your time and your information indeed is very helpful.

the boot

the booting from usb flash driver has problem too. It will restart the computer only if secure boot state is set "other os" (my PC is only one month old with only windows 10 installed before). Thee PC then will restart by itself and reset booting option
    1back to window booting manager (harddriver).

I can still access windows 10 recovery menu, but this recovery menu can not bring windows 10 back because this PC can not be reset, nor restored.

AnneYYYY, Sep 25, 2016
  3. Rinna66 Win User
    Windows 10 login screen completely unresponsive

Nothing works at all. The computer is still in the same state, safe boot doesn't seem to change anything and restarting the PC normally brings her back to the same unresponsive loading screen. Let's hope that the service center will solve it without factory
    reset...

Rinna66, Sep 25, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

I believe that the MCT (media creation tool) formatted the disk as FAT32. It's possible to make a FAT32 drive larger than 32GB, but apparently the MCT went for the oldest, most compatible form.

If you lost data on the external HD, you may be able to recover some of it. I've never used it, but people seem to like the free version of Recuva:

Download Recuva | Recover deleted files, free!

If you wish to format the external drive and recover its capacity, format it as NTFS.

bobkn, Sep 25, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    I had the same issue when I had to a 64GB drive [didn't have a 32GB] and the issue I had was I couldn't create a new partition in the remaining 32GB. I believe the FAT32 is necessary to assure being able to boot to it. After I got a 32GB I booted to a GPARTED LiveCD and deleted everything from the Thumb drive then reformatted the whole thing as FAT32.

Berton, Sep 25, 2016
  6. sml156 Win User
    Looks like @bobkn and @Berton have conflicting answers I believe the correct answer to restore it to 500GB is to format it to NTFS

sml156, Sep 26, 2016
  7. spunk Win User
    Recuva may be able to recover your files, but I have found that it is only good for Deleted files not formatted drives that have been overwritten. You can try the free TestDisk program. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack. You will need another drive of the same size or larger to restore your files to. Since the data was overwritten, I am not sure you will be able to recover much
    Once you have recovered, then go to Start/Search and type diskmgmt.msc, right click the diskmgmt results and Run As Administrator, in the Elevated Disk Management window Right click the Partition (Volume) and choose to Delete Volume, in the Unallocated Space, Right click and choose to Create a New Simple Volume. Make it the full 500GB. Format it NTFS.
    In the future, unplug all USB device except the flash drive when creating bootable USB media.

spunk, Sep 26, 2016
  8. Berton Win User

The mention of 500GB certainly puts a different slant on the issue, thought it was about a 64GB drive.

Berton, Sep 26, 2016
  9. bobkn Win User
    No conflict at all. Read the posts again.

For Berton, the MCT created a 32GB partition (shows as 30GB for the usual reason) on a 64GB flash drive.

It's possible to format a drive larger than 32GB using FAT32, at least in newer versions of Windows. (I'm not sure that the default formatter will do it, but it's possible by other means.)

bobkn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Bringing the USB used for Windows 10 boot back to it's normal state - Similar Threads - Bringing USB used

2. How can I bring my laptop back to normal?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I bring my laptop back to normal?: I repaired my laptop's motherboard and placed a new battery last month. It worked perfectly for like 2 or 3 weeks & then one day it stopped turning on. My laptop now it only charges when I plug it in. But it doesn't turn even with or without battery or even when plugged...
  3. How can I bring my laptop back to normal?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I bring my laptop back to normal?: I repaired my laptop's motherboard and placed a new battery last month. It worked perfectly for like 2 or 3 weeks & then one day it stopped turning on. My laptop now it only charges when I plug it in. But it doesn't turn even with or without battery or even when plugged...
  4. How can I bring my laptop back to normal?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How can I bring my laptop back to normal?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How can I bring my laptop back to normal?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. How can I bring my laptop back to normal?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. What can I do to bring it back to normal?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What can I do to bring it back to normal?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/DGZ_BF [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/xcksjs/what_can_i_do_to_bring_it_back_to_normal/
  9. Issue With PC how do I bring it back to normal?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issue With PC how do I bring it back to normal?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Myshka91 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/en0j47/issue_with_pc_how_do_i_bring_it_back_to_normal/
  10. Bringing back the Windows 10 option in the dual-boot menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bringing back the Windows 10 option in the dual-boot menu: Hi! I have a problem. I have installed Debian 10 on my computer as second OS next to my Win 10. After this the Debian was my default system to boot into, but I wanted my Windows as default, so I went on and made some modifications after tutorials that I can't remember, and...