Windows 10: Brinks menu toggle program bug in it (build 9926)

Discus and support Brinks menu toggle program bug in it (build 9926) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there While the menu switching (start menu / start screen) is great - there IS a snag. Once you do this you lose the old re-sizeable start menu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, Jan 24, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Brinks menu toggle program bug in it (build 9926)

Hi there

While the menu switching (start menu / start screen) is great - there IS a snag. Once you do this you lose the old re-sizeable start menu (as build 9879). So if you applied Dave44's fix to get the OLD menu you lose it after using the toggle facility.The menu reverts back to the NEW one even after a re-boot.

So if you want to keep the old re-sizeable menu then another work around needs to be found.

Sorry Brink - but I can always "Break things" !!!!

To change back to the re-sizeable menu simply change the dword in dave44's fix for re-sizeable menu to 0. I think Brink's change sets it to 1. Reboot and old menu is back. You don't have to uninstall Brink's fix so you can simply change the value to 1 again and re-boot if you want to have the dynamic switching mode.

My main (and severe) beef with the new menu is the search does not work. On the old menu I type say word 2014 and I get the application without having to endlessly scroll to find it. The new menu - search doesn't do anything.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jan 24, 2015

2. Any tool to recover my Lumia 620 from QHSUSB_DLOAD mode?

Would you please check whether this problem really exists in Windows 10 build 9926 for PCs? I think it has a USB bug that can brick mobile phones.

Kagami Sascha Rosylight, Jan 24, 2015
  3. DeeKat Win User
    DeeKat, Jan 24, 2015
  4. Vladimir Win User

Start Menu after applying Brink's workaround.

Value set to "0"

Brinks menu toggle program bug in it (build 9926) [​IMG]

Value set to "1"

Vladimir, Jan 24, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    What I did wast to re-download his patch and re-apply it and it works just fine.

BunnyJ, Jan 24, 2015
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    did you toggle BACK again - re-toggle.

Mine changes to the new version.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 24, 2015
  7. Vladimir Win User
    Start Menu after applying registry hack.

Value set to "0"

Value set to "1"

Vladimir, Jan 24, 2015
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    don't know what's different but mine after toggling and toggling back I get the NEW menu.
    I'm on a Touch screen laptop - whether that makes a difference I don't know.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 24, 2015
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    I think I did the same thing.. Not sure what the heck I did but I know that I did re-install the VB script and then re-ran the registry change. And it worked after I performed a re-boot.

One thing I did notice, my desktop ICON is missing from the Start Screen. I need to try the suggestion that Shawn made in his thread and see what happens.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Jan 24, 2015
  10. davehc Win User
    I think I did the same thing.. Not sure what the heck I did but I know that I did re-install the VB script and then re-ran the registry change. And it worked after I performed a re-boot.

One thing I did notice, my desktop ICON is missing from the Start Screen. I need to try the suggestion that Shawn made in his thread and see what happens.

Jeff Me too. But if you select any of the available icons, you are back on the desktop. Be nice if it was more intuitive though.

davehc, Jan 24, 2015
  11. davehc Win User
    Anyone tried putting the google search add on back into IE? I cannot. get turned down all the way.

davehc, Jan 24, 2015
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Fix

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...tml#post184018

Follow the thread

here's the fix if you don't want to go down the whole thread. You have to change the vbs file.

@Brink
    Reply to myself, I checked your script and there was slight bug, I change this line 1 to 0 for FileExtension2 (resizeable start menu) and work perfectly now *Smile

After Else :
    To : Command1.RegWrite FileExtension2, 0, "REG_DWORD"

May help anyone else if they want also resize able Start Menu after toggling *Smile

Works -- Thanks guys.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 24, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Jimbo,

It wasn't a bug, but was done by design to toggle between the Start screen and the new expandable Start menu.

I have added step 3 in OPTION ONE so that folks can choose to use step 2 for the new expandable Start menu or step 3 for the old resizable Start menu though. *Smile

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...text-menu.html

Brink, Jan 24, 2015
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    Cool.. thanks for the change Shawn!!

Jeff *Smile

BunnyJ, Jan 24, 2015
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hello Jimbo,

It wasn't a bug, but was done by design to toggle between the Start screen and the new expandable Start menu.

I have added step 3 in OPTION ONE so that folks can choose to use step 2 for the new expandable Start menu or step 3 for the old resizable Start menu though. *Smile

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...text-menu.html
    Hi there

Thanks

BTW comment reminds me back in the old days if someone found a bug IBM would say "That's not really a Bug but a FEATURE" !!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 24, 2015
Thema:

1. Brinks menu toggle program bug in it (build 9926) - Similar Threads - Brinks menu toggle

2. For Brink

in Windows 10 Support
    For Brink: How did this happen? https://www.tenforums.com/search.php...360&pp=&page=2 - 183331
  3. Chrome can't update in build 9926

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome can't update in build 9926: Greetings! Chrome can't update after I upgraded to newest build of windows 10 (9926). If I open Chrome menu and select "About Google Chrome", I just get this message: Version 39.0.2171.99 dev-m Updates are disabled by the administrator I have not disabled any...
  4. Taskbar color - build 9926

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar color - build 9926: In build 9926 it seems that the Windows Taskbar transparency is gone. Which, for me, is not a good thing. On the positive side, we've gained control over taskbar color through registry keys: To change the Taskbar color add DWORD:...
  5. AMD Switchable graphics menu is gone in windows 10 build 9926

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    AMD Switchable graphics menu is gone in windows 10 build 9926: ok so the menu disappeared in the recent build 9926 update. without this i dont think i can game *Shock my first step will be to find some kind of update for my video cards. but my drivers are modded so ill have some trouble. ill report back 4391
  6. If I install Build 9926

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    If I install Build 9926: If I install build 9926 will it update straight to 10049? If I choose the fast track? 5142
  7. install win 10 build 9926

install win 10 build 9926: Hi all, downloaded new Build 9926 earlier today as an inplace upgrade. Took the best part of 3 hours from start to finish. All apps, settings and programs the way they were. I went to check whether Cortana was working, but it's not. (Not available in your region) popup. Guess...
  8. updates for build 9926 Manual link

updates for build 9926 Manual link: Hi there Here's a Link to some updates for release 9926 in case you can't install via windows update. Windows 10 Technical Preview January Update Rollup (Not sure if the site rendering is working properly !!! but the link seems OK !!!). Cheers jimbo 3667
  9. Stuck on Build 9926, can't upgrade

Stuck on Build 9926, can't upgrade: Been using Windows 10 Tech Preview on and off since it first came out last year. Have been busy lately so haven't been able to keep up to date with updates. Want to upgrade to Build 10240 but Windows Updates isn't detecting there is a new build available. Have Microsoft...
  10. Where's that Brink context menu trick?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where's that Brink context menu trick?: I've lost the desktop context menu mods that Brink did to allow you to toggle between re-sizable, expandable, and original start screens. I can't find it anywhere after I just did a clean install and I can't find it in tuts or by searching. Anybody know where it is? Help,...