Windows 10: Broke raid, booted to W7 instead of w10

Discus and support Broke raid, booted to W7 instead of w10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Ok, so, I got to W10 from W7 or, so I thought. It was super slow and doing 100% disk usage so, I thought, maybe it was due to my Raid disks not being... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by joethejet4, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Broke raid, booted to W7 instead of w10

Ok, so, I got to W10 from W7 or, so I thought. It was super slow and doing 100% disk usage so, I thought, maybe it was due to my Raid disks not being synched. So, I looked for IRST, but it wasn't there so, I tried to install it, but I got a message saying something about needing a newer version.

When I tried to install the new version, it said I had to reboot so I did.

When I rebooted, the little balls kept spinning all night so, obviously something is stuck.

I turned the computer off and back on and got the message on the raid screen that one of the drives was "bad" (don't remember the actual word used). So, I decided that I didn't need Raid and due to some of the other problems I've had, figured that the disk really was bad.

So, I broke the raid on both disks and rebooted.

So, both disks this time were good and, believe it or not, it booted to W7!!!!! WTF

I detached one of the disks (I think the one that was listed as "bad" before and turned the machine back on. This time it's trying to boot to W10, but the balls have been spinning for the past five minutes and I'm concerned it will never come back. On the optimistic side, I think I hear the disk spinning so, *maybe* it will eventually come up?????

Anyone that can tell me why the heck the above happened?????

:)

joethejet4, Feb 6, 2020
  2. Jayanuba Win User

W10 corrupts W7 hard drive

W8.1 was working fine as a removable hard drive. W7 installed on a RAID array as multi partitions. Works fine and both OS can be booted and W8.1 reads the RAID array when booting as W8.1

W10 upgrade completed on removable 8.1 drive, but then checked RAID drives for errors and changed them.

W7 on raid no longer boots. After severel hours W7 finally re-installed on RAID array. (data is on other partition so ok.) Tested working all data recovered.

Here's the kicker.

As soon as I boot from W10 it says "reboot required to fix drives" then corrupts the Windows 7 install... Which doesn't need fixed!!

The drive containing W7 OS becomes unreadable although other data partitions on the RAID array are OK.

W7 recovery tries to fix the hard drive then fails.

W10 changed drive letters first attempt, so I thought this an easy fix, but in fact every fresh W7 install is corrupted as soon as I boot from W10.

This is a major problem. Why is W10 changing the drive parameters on a completely seperate fully operational operating system?

Jayanuba, Feb 6, 2020
  3. W7 access of W10 share

On my home network W10 systems can access shares on other W10 systems, and W10 can access W7 shares. However, when W7 tries to access a W10 share, it wants a network password. I give it the user/pswd I use to log in on the W10 but that doesn't help.

I found one place:
    https://www.thewindowsclub.com/cannot-access-shared-folder-windows
    that suggested setting HKLM...Lsa\restrictanonymous to 1
    but that didn't seem to help.

TIA!

Paul Kinzelman, Feb 6, 2020
  4. Jayanuba Win User

Broke raid, booted to W7 instead of w10

W10 corrupts W7 hard drive

(For any query related to Windows Operating System, feel free to post on Microsoft Community.)

Is this not a W10 operating system problem?

Anyway, Turns out corruption is caused by a service in W10 switched on by default. This causes W10 to run a disk check. Other forums seem aware of this and have been suggesting for quite some time it's switched "off" by default.

Still don't understand why w10 uses chkdisk on a raid Array, or why W10 chkdsk corrupts the drive, but switching it off resolves the problem and prevents many hours of reloading W7.

Jayanuba, Feb 6, 2020
Thema:

Broke raid, booted to W7 instead of w10

1. Broke raid, booted to W7 instead of w10 - Similar Threads - Broke raid booted

2. Triple boot W7 W10 W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Triple boot W7 W10 W11: I have a dual boot Win 7/Win 10 system with both OS on different SSD. I intend to instal Win 11 on another separate SSD. I would like to retain some apps on W7 and W10 system so is it possible to triple boot when Win 11 is installed ? Data etc is on separate HDD....
  3. Triple boot W7 W10 W11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Triple boot W7 W10 W11: I have a dual boot Win 7/Win 10 system with both OS on different SSD. I intend to instal Win 11 on another separate SSD. I would like to retain some apps on W7 and W10 system so is it possible to triple boot when Win 11 is installed ? Data etc is on separate HDD....
  4. upgrading w7 to w10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  5. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  6. W7 or W10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W7 or W10: Hi everyone, I have got W10 for a while. Now I have upgraded my PC. But, Lots of part of the motherboard / sound, graphic / can't work properly, because their drivers were writing for W7. Under W10 they just work on basic level. The issue about the compatibility makes lags...
  7. Clean install W10 on W7\W10 dual boot system.

Clean install W10 on W7\W10 dual boot system.: Just curious, is it possible to carry out a clean install of 10 on my hard drive which has 7 and 10 as a dual boot? obviously on the 10 partition. Thank you. 110034
  8. Dual Boot W10/W7 error message on boot

Dual Boot W10/W7 error message on boot: I have W10 and W7 on separate drives, and used the information on this thread Solved EasyBCD Dual Boot management for Win10 and Win7 on separate drives - Windows 10 Forums to enable dual booting without using the F8. The dual boot was followed from the W10 installation, and...
  9. Dual boot w7 + w10

Dual boot w7 + w10: You are welcome. Glad we could help. Hi guys! Please help! So I have 2 ssd drive. Each of it has a working operating system (w7, w10). How to make the w10 dual boot menu? You had written, that we have to use the bcdboot command... From which operating system? I like...
  10. W7 pro & W10 dual boot problem

W7 pro & W10 dual boot problem: I want to Dual Boot my existing W7 pro with W10 pro as in Dual Boot Tutorial by Brink. I made W10 Installation USB removed fast boot & secure boot and installed W10. I have W7 (C drive) on a 500gb SSD and installed a new 500gb SSD for W10 (D drive) I installed W10 on the D...