Windows 10: Broken built-in screen on laptop and using external monitor, monitor not used by laptop...

Discus and support Broken built-in screen on laptop and using external monitor, monitor not used by laptop... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am using a laptop with a broken screen where i can literally see nothing but black and white and some messed up stuff and I use an external monitor,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JohnMarston999, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Broken built-in screen on laptop and using external monitor, monitor not used by laptop...

I am using a laptop with a broken screen where i can literally see nothing but black and white and some messed up stuff and I use an external monitor, so basically I am blind without the external monitor.

I recently updated the laptop from win7 to win10, I waited for it to finish but when I came back the laptop wasnt using the external monitor anymore, my external monitor was all connected and everything, made sure nothing was wrong with the connections and it was well connected just that the laptop wasnt using it.

I dont even know whats on the screen when I rebooted it and if the update finished, it doesnt use my external monitor after reboot and I basically cant do anything because I dont know what's on screen.

I really need help cant afford to lose it I have some very important files on it, so please help me. The only way I see where I can do something is through keystrokes so please help :

:)

JohnMarston999, Apr 1, 2020
  2. LemP Win User

connection problems External Monitor for laptop

If you're trying to use a wired external monitor is it connected to the laptop's HDMI output connector or the mini DisplayPort connector?

If you're using a wired external monitor and don't see any output, right-click on an empty spot on the Desktop and select Screen Resolution -> Detect

In addition, you may need to press the F7 key and select the mode in which the display will function. There are 4 modes:

• Disconnect (or Computer only): display only on the laptop's screen
    • Duplicate: the same display on the laptop's screen and the external monitor
    • Extend: extends the output so that you can drag things from one screen to the other
    • Projector only (or Second Screen Only): displays only on the external monitor

Or are you trying to use wireless (Wi-Di or Miracast)?

LemP, Apr 1, 2020
  3. Cbowers3 Win User
    Laptop screen will only work once it has been connected to an external monitor, even if that monitor is switched off

Having an issue whereby I cannot see or use the Laptop screen without first plugging it into an external monitor.

• Upon Windows startup unconnected to any external monitor

• DELL opening logo can be seen on Laptop screen

• Screen goes black with backlight

• Mouse pointer can be seen onscreen if moved to the right, as though a second monitor is connected on the left hand side.

• Attempting to press enter and type in password in the correct order as though the screen was functional does not do anything

• Upon connecting to an external monitor (even if switched off)

• Laptop screen will suddenly appear, all functionality restored

• Upon disconnecting again from external monitor

• Laptop screen remains visible and functional

• Lock screen /unlock screen no problem

• Upon shutting and opening the laptop lid

• Screen black with backlight, same results as windows startup, mouse pointer can be seen and moved as though a second screen is connected on the left

• No functionality until reconnected, even for a second, with an external monitor.

Troubleshooting:

• Restarting multiple times, checking multiple display screen is not activated:

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum
    category.***

Cbowers3, Apr 1, 2020
  4. AJMazza Win User

Broken built-in screen on laptop and using external monitor, monitor not used by laptop...

Surface Laptop 3 with external monitor

Hi All,

Has anyone come across an issue with an external monitor blacking out while connected to a Surface Laptop 3? I have the laptop connected to a widescreen laptop with the Surface Dock. Both work fine however, once every hour or so the external monitor blacks out and comes back.

I've completed the following:

• Updated laptop drivers and firmware
      • Updated monitor drivers
      • Swapped out monitor
    [/LIST]

AJMazza, Apr 1, 2020
Thema:

Broken built-in screen on laptop and using external monitor, monitor not used by laptop...

1. Broken built-in screen on laptop and using external monitor, monitor not used by laptop... - Similar Threads - Broken built screen

2. Use laptop as the second monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use laptop as the second monitor: I want to use my laptop as a second monitor for my desktop, but its not possible using physical cable. I tried using screen projecting on Windows but the laptop eventually became quite delay. What cause this to happen?...
  3. Use laptop as the second monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Use laptop as the second monitor: I want to use my laptop as a second monitor for my desktop, but its not possible using physical cable. I tried using screen projecting on Windows but the laptop eventually became quite delay. What cause this to happen?...
  4. Laptop screen broken and not projecting to external monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop screen broken and not projecting to external monitor: Sorry if this is badly formatted i'm on mobile.Today I went to boot up my Lenovo Legion Y530 into Safe mode where i encountered that my screen wasn't showing up on my monitor, but on my shatteted laptop screen no big issue it's happened before, i do the Windows + P and...
  5. Laptop screen broken and not projecting to external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop screen broken and not projecting to external monitor: Sorry if this is badly formatted i'm on mobile.Today I went to boot up my Lenovo Legion Y530 into Safe mode where i encountered that my screen wasn't showing up on my monitor, but on my shatteted laptop screen no big issue it's happened before, i do the Windows + P and...
  6. Get my laptop screen back after using external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Get my laptop screen back after using external monitor: I use 2 external monitor, and keep my laptop close screen on laptop is not shared or active. I just had power failure and need to work on laptop alone. But when I open the laptop the screen stays black, eventhough I have unplugged all external monitor. Please help. Thank you....
  7. Using laptop as a second monitor?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using laptop as a second monitor?: Ive been trying to use my old crappy laptop as a second moniter on my PC. My computer doesnt have wifi, its using and ethernet. I know you can project screens but i cant due to not having wifi. Is there a way to use an HDMI cable to connect the two? submitted by...
  8. Change broken laptop scree to external monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change broken laptop scree to external monitor: My laptop screen is broken and I want to connect it to an external monitor. I’ve plugged the monitor in using a HDMI cable but I can’t see the the display on the monitor. I’ve tried pressing Win+P and f4, but it isn’t working. Is there a way to disable the laptop screen and...
  9. Laptop screen not detected when using external monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Laptop screen not detected when using external monitor: Hi As the title says, I have just upgraded my laptop to windows 10 from windows 8, I usually use the laptop screen and an external monitor, for dual screen, however in windows 10, with the external monitor connected it does not detect and other screens, am I missing...
  10. lag when using laptop screen / good perf when using external monitor

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    lag when using laptop screen / good perf when using external monitor: Dear all, I have a Dell Precision laptop (M4800) with 16 GB RAM and a big SSD. I have been struggling for ages with this bleeping w10 and have got to a stage where it does actually run very well ... if the comp is using a docking port and external monitor (in this case...