Windows 10: Broken links in "Best Match" search results

Discus and support Broken links in "Best Match" search results in Cortana to solve the problem; Hi,For a long time now I've had problems with search in Windows 10. I'm currently on build 18363. I have web results turned off via gpe and I do not... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Lemodile, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Lemodile Win User

Broken links in "Best Match" search results

Hi,For a long time now I've had problems with search in Windows 10. I'm currently on build 18363. I have web results turned off via gpe and I do not want to use Cortana.The issue: Searching in the task bar often returns dead links. Even for MS Edge. It looks something like this:Clicking the entry without icon does nothing. Clicking the one below opens MS Edge.Same happens with other programs that are listed fine when I open the start menu the old fashioned way.How do I tackle this? I've already rebuilt the search index a dozen times and created new user profiles.. to no avail.Thank you in

:)

Lemodile, Jun 6, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User

Broken search result links

Ok so you'll need to try this to check if you have anything related to them.

Using 3rd party uninstallers is far safer than scanning the registry.

Download Revo uninstaller (free) and Locate32 (free). Now Revo won't list these programs 'cos
    a. They may not be 'installed'
    b. You've hacked the registry- which will most probably make Revo ineffective. However..

But it can be pointed at an exe belonging to the program and then do a scan.
    You will use Locate 32 to find any folders related to the programs.

Note: to give you a second chance when things go wrong- or your disk fails- or you're infected with Ransomware - we strongly recommend using disk imaging (e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + external storage.

With a disk image set, you could have restored an image and have your PC working as it was when you created the image- quite quickly, without technical help. Great tool! All regular contributors here use this or similar,

So this is what I'd do if I were in this mess.

1. Run Locate 32, and tell it to create an index. Wait for that.
    Now type Gwent in the search box and see if it finds anything.
    See if there are any exe files in the found folders (if any).

2. Run Revo Uninstaller.
    Use the Forced Uninstall button

Broken links in "Best Match" search results [​IMG]

and browse to your exe.

Run Revo to remove what it can.

Repeat for any other remaining exe files.

2. Repeat the above for the other program.

3. Check these start menu folders for any occurrence of the two programs
    C:\Users\<your id here>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    and remove any related shortcuts

4. Rebuild your search index

dalchina, Jun 6, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Jun 6, 2021
  4. grschinon Win User

Mobile Search will not find all matching contacts

That's an interesting find.

I can confirm that on the N96 at least, if a contact has multiple numbers that match the search pattern, only the first one will be listed in the search results.

grschinon, Jun 6, 2021
Thema:

1. Broken links in "Best Match" search results - Similar Threads - Broken links Best

2. Broken search results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Broken search results: Hi!I've found out on different threads that "File Search" functionality has not been altered between Win 10 and 11. I remember it vividly by searching through the file names directly, supposed to give me the exact results but I keep on ending up with completely unrelated...
  3. Broken search results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Broken search results: Hi!I've found out on different threads that "File Search" functionality has not been altered between Win 10 and 11. I remember it vividly by searching through the file names directly, supposed to give me the exact results but I keep on ending up with completely unrelated...
  4. Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour: Posted on Microsoft Community, but all I got was "update your system", "run the troubleshooter", and "run sfc". Here's my problem: Windows Search behaves differently every time I use it and it drives me insane. I open my applications via Windows Search, and sometimes it...
  5. Best match not showing after searching for anything

in Cortana
    Best match not showing after searching for anything: Hey, all of the sudden when I search for anything on the search bar it stopped showing the result for best match, I used to be able for example to type in "calc" and it would show the calculator and I just needed to press enter to open it, now I need to manually click on it...
  6. [Start Search] Disable Best Match Result Preview?

[Start Search] Disable Best Match Result Preview?: Hi all, Just updated in the first time after probably 2 years (couldn't update before, long story), and i notice that the start search is now way wider and has this really annoying preview option that's essentially useless. How do i disable that? (through registry editing,...
  7. Remove select "Best Matches" from search bar results.

Remove select "Best Matches" from search bar results.: I use SourceTree a lot and when I type "sour" into search, I get two results, SourceTree and ODBC Data Sources and it places the not-SourceTree one on top. I have mistakenly hit enter and opened the not-SourceTree thing a few times and so now I must type "sourcet" and hit...
  8. Windows 10 search not finding "Best Match"

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search not finding "Best Match": Within the last couple of days, Windows search Best Match has become defective. For instance, when I used to type "scree", my screenshots folder would be at the top of the best match results. Now I type "scree", and it gives me the Best Match of Screenshot (181).png, and it...
  9. Can't click on results of "Best match" in Windows search (Win10)

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't click on results of "Best match" in Windows search (Win10): Hi all, I need help because this is driving me crazy. Suddenly I can't click (or press enter) on most icons best match suggests as they seem to be dead. It seems to be mostly app-related since I can't do it for matches like Chrome, Drive, Word... but it seems to be...
  10. Broken search result links

in Windows 10 Support
    Broken search result links: Hey guys, first time poster here, I have a weird issues right now. So recently I reinstalled both GOG galaxy and Gwent to a different drive on my pc and since then I have this issue https://i.imgur.com/tSWkpTa.jpg Before I could type Gwent or gog in start menu and they...