Windows 10: Broken .NET after Windows Update - System.BadImageFormatException: Bad binary signature.

Discus and support Broken .NET after Windows Update - System.BadImageFormatException: Bad binary signature. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey! Recently came home to find a Windows Update had been installed and my PC was on the blue "configuration" screen where I allow or disallow some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by daniel_st, Sep 13, 2020.

1. daniel_st Win User

Broken .NET after Windows Update - System.BadImageFormatException: Bad binary signature.

Hey!

Recently came home to find a Windows Update had been installed and my PC was on the blue "configuration" screen where I allow or disallow some permissions, etc.
    After clicking skip several times, it booted into desktop and everything appeared to be in order.
    However so far 4 programs refuse to work properly, throwing "System.BadImageFormatException: Bad binary signature." exceptions.
    Those are Paint.NET, Eraser, Discord, and Default Programs Editor, all of which worked fine before the update.
    No amount of reinstalling fixes them.
    The exception is thrown at IEnumerable.First, which makes me believe some comparer is now complaining about "bad binary signature", whatever that is. Since I can't repair or reinstall the bundled-in .NET, I'm left scratching my head.
    If anyone knows of a way to fix this, pls sound off. Thank you!

:)

daniel_st, Sep 13, 2020

2. Windows update error 0x80073701 and .Net Framework broken

When you do what?

Repair install or Windows Update?

If it's Windows Update, run the script that @Caledon Ken suggested in post #12

Windows update error 0x80073701 and .Net Framework broken

OldNavyGuy, Sep 13, 2020
  3. Should binary signature checked before launching from trusted locations?

If need to launch/load binaries from trusted Windows locations like System32 or Windows or Program Files directories, should the binary signature be checked before using it?

Only Admin can copy/install files on trusted locations.

PranitKothari, Sep 13, 2020
  4. Broken .NET after Windows Update - System.BadImageFormatException: Bad binary signature.

Broken Digital Signature!

Good morning,

Did you find and resolve the broken certificate issue?

Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\f2bb033c2aca42055c35362763249dcf\55fd5362c6fc5b5a7c062995f0acf10dc7dc6968; The file is signed with a broken digital signature, issued by: Microsoft Corporation.

I can say this was not and AVG glitch but more likely as someone previously explained as an indication of tampering.

I found that this issue caused a series of mostly unseen issues relating to 'Auto Updaters' for all products, Microsoft Windows 10 in this case but also AVG and SpyHunter. If you have found that you have had to unnecessarily manually preform updates for one
    or more similar products when they would normally have automatically updated then I suggest this issue is related to the 'broken signature'.

To repair this in my instance (may not be same for others) I had AVG and Microsoft remote in to work on a solution, however, I gave up complaining to Microsoft about their issuing a broken digital signature because seriously most of their techs are low level
    people using a text book solution.

I eventually did fix this and now all my updaters are working as they should. I am still not entirely sure what caused or what fixed the issue, it may have been due to a pirated movie I was given (10% certainty) , Office 2010 which was unregistered and possibly
    originally pirated and came with the computer I bought on the free market (60% certainty), Microsoft Live Mail (95% certainty) because spammers and scammers are always pushing the latest exploits and it just takes one vulnerable system to accept...remember
    always that hackers stay ahead of the game or they would be out of business. It just takes being online (on the internet connected) for a very short time with an out of date update for a spider/crawler to identify your comprised system and begin to work on
    exploiting any vulnerabilities!

There a very few people actually doing the hacking, these days algorithms are used instead.

hope this helps...and hope you got it sorted

~R3M~

Marc Cooper_144, Sep 13, 2020
Thema:

Broken .NET after Windows Update - System.BadImageFormatException: Bad binary signature.

1. Broken .NET after Windows Update - System.BadImageFormatException: Bad binary signature. - Similar Threads - Broken NET Update

2. Will Windows 8.1 continue to receive Windows Defender signature updates on the system after...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will Windows 8.1 continue to receive Windows Defender signature updates on the system after...: It was announced that there would be no Windows updates, but there was no mention of Windows Defender in Windows 8.1. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-windows-81-continue-to-receive-windows/85edc995-e4a4-487e-a9d0-e95262d362da
  3. Will Windows 8.1 continue to receive Windows Defender signature updates on the system after...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will Windows 8.1 continue to receive Windows Defender signature updates on the system after...: It was announced that there would be no Windows updates, but there was no mention of Windows Defender in Windows 8.1. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-windows-81-continue-to-receive-windows/85edc995-e4a4-487e-a9d0-e95262d362da
  4. Windows broken after update

Windows broken after update: I recently re-installed Windows again, as it was running slowly and acting poorly not refreshing explorer automatically etc. Last night it did updates which broke my system again. This has been going on for 2 years now. I am extremely upset that these updates are FORCED on my...
  5. Windows broken after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows broken after update: I recently re-installed Windows again, as it was running slowly and acting poorly not refreshing explorer automatically etc. Last night it did updates which broke my system again. This has been going on for 2 years now. I am extremely upset that these updates are FORCED on my...
  6. BadImageFormatException

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BadImageFormatException: I got this cmd error issue "Exception calling "Load" with "1" arguments: "Could not load file or assembly '1259008 bytes loaded from Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was...
  7. BadImageFormatException

BadImageFormatException: I got this cmd error issue "Exception calling "Load" with "1" arguments: "Could not load file or assembly '1259008 bytes loaded from Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was...
  8. System Tray seems broken after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Support
    System Tray seems broken after Windows Update: Ever since a Windows Update a few days ago, my system tray has been acting very strange. Sometimes it seems like it's being limited to a certain, very small, width--about 3 program icons' worth or so; with the volume and network icons enabled, the clock is just slightly...
  9. System Tray seems broken after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Customization
    System Tray seems broken after Windows Update: Ever since a Windows Update a few days ago, my system tray has been acting very strange.Sometimes it seems like it's being limited to a certain, very small, width--about 3 program icons' worth or so; with the volume and network icons enabled, the clock is just slightly...
  10. Should binary signature checked before launching from trusted locations?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Should binary signature checked before launching from trusted locations?: If need to launch/load binaries from trusted Windows locations like System32 or Windows or Program Files directories, should the binary signature be checked before using it? Only Admin can copy/install files on trusted locations....