Windows 10: Broken partition table but somehow it's still working

Discus and support Broken partition table but somehow it's still working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi guys I was using the diskpart command to clean some linux partitions from a USB drive and somehow it seems that the partitions copied to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ceauke, Jun 15, 2016.

1. ceauke Win User

Broken partition table but somehow it's still working

Hi guys

I was using the diskpart command to clean some linux partitions from a USB drive and somehow it seems that the partitions copied to my laptop hard drive. *Confused

My original SSD setup was roughly:
    C: 80GB
    D: 420GB

Now you can see the crazy setup I'm left with.

Broken partition table but somehow it's still working [​IMG]

Luckily my drives werent full so I dont think I lost data.
    But my question is, how can I fix this? I doubt if I just delete those additional partitions that it will work.
    Is there a way to backup the files but not the partitions and then just restore after correcting the partitions?

Isn't there software that can read the file allcotion tables and allow you to rebuild the partitions based on that? If the FAT entries are relative to the partition, then it should work by just modifying the partition, but I dont know enough.

Any ideas?

:)

ceauke, Jun 15, 2016

2. my pc boots but the disk is still broken somehow

when i boot my pc it says that it is trying to repair my disk, but it always comes up to a meny saying i am missing something called
    Etrails

which i have no idea of what it is

adamkuusisto, Jun 15, 2016
  3. my pc boots but the disk is still broken somehow

Hi Adam,

Corruption within your user profile is one of the reasons why you are encountering issues booting up Windows 10. To troubleshoot the issue, we suggest creating a new user account on your computer and see if the same issue will occur while on a different
    user profile. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• Select the Start button, then select Settings > Accounts > Family & other people > Add
      someone else to this PC

• Type a user name, password, password hint, and then select Next.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Jun 15, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Your screen shot does not give enough info., Please make another one which also include the graphical portion as shown below then we can give suggestion.

topgundcp, Jun 15, 2016
  5. ceauke Win User
    Here it is. Even more bizarre, I see it shows two drives. I only have on SSD in the laptop.

ceauke, Jun 15, 2016
  6. ceauke Win User
    Extra bonus points if someone can tell me which incorrect command I must have made in diskpart to 'merge' my USB stick partition with my SSD's. *Smile

ceauke, Jun 15, 2016
  7. topgundcp Win User
    A normal, fresh install of Windows 10, GPT partition scheme is as follows:
    • 450MB Recovery
    • 100MB EFI System
    • 16MB MSR (Hidden from Disk Management, can see it using diskpart)
    • C Drive

Yours is:
    • 343MB Recovery
    • 103MB EFI System
    • MSR ??? (Cant see it in Disk Management, my guess is 128MB)
    • C Drive
    • 449MB Recovery
    • D Drive

Apparently, your partition scheme is due to ugrade Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 and it is perfectly fine.
    It is better to leave it as is since 18.36GB partition is probably the recovery image for Windows 8.1. The 4GB OEM partition is probably contains a set of diagnostic tools from manufacturer of you PC. However, if you wish to merge them with disk 0 then shrink D drive and use partition manager to copy these 2 after D drive

topgundcp, Jun 15, 2016
  8. ceauke Win User

Ah thanks a lot topgundcp! So I didnt cause this. I just never realised I had so many partitions.
    I couldnt see on your screenshot, is your %free on the screenshot 100% for these other partitions?
    How do you ever access the data on it?

ceauke, Jun 15, 2016
  9. I agrees with topgun - the partition scheme for Disk 0 looks fairly normal.

Disk 1 looks like a thumbdrive, based on the size, ... but it has partitions and no drive letters.

Command Prompt (Admin)
    diskpart
    sel dis 1
    det dis
    attributes dis
    lis vol
    lis par
    Paste the results in your next post.

On the Taskbar, do you have the USB icon?
    Can you eject Disk 1?

Does Disk 1 show up in Control Panel > Devices and Printers?
    Can you eject Disk 1 from that panel?

edit:The other possibility is that the HDD is a Hybrid and has a small SSD cache drive.

Those partitions are system partitions, they are hidden so you can't make a mistake by accessing them.
    Yes 100% free is the norm - but they aren't really, that's just the way DiskManager presents the data. Either there is very little data on the partition or it's because that partition is hidden that you see 100% free and no filesystem.

Slartybart, Jun 15, 2016
  10. ceauke Win User
    Ah yes Slartybart, now we're on to something.

There's a 24GB SSD driver. I sometimes use the SD card reader to read microSD but I dont think I have 24GB cards.
    Is it possible that the Asus ultrabook comes with an extra SSD for OEM stuff? Or some HDD cache? Maybe this is the Asus' computer equivalent of a emissions defeat device.*Wink

det dis below: (same weird 24GB ssd)

attrib dis:

lis vol and lis par:

BTW, no USB to eject.

ceauke, Jun 15, 2016
  11. topgundcp Win User
    Disk Management does not report correctly on hidden folder. The easiest way to find out how much space it occupies is to use a partition manager such as Mini Tool which you can explore the hidden folder. Here's an example of the 450MB Recovery partition, almost 300MB was used but Disk Management reports 100% free space:

topgundcp, Jun 15, 2016
  12. ceauke Win User
    Here's my minitool view.
    Unfortunately I cannot explore disk1 but at least I can confirm now that disk0 looks fine.

ceauke, Jun 15, 2016
  13. Broken partition table but somehow it's still working

Yep, it looks like the Asus comes equipped with a Sandisk ReadyCache SSD connected to a port on the board

searching for the drive listed in your DevMgr returns: SANDISK READYCACHE SSD
    This page references a 32 GB drive, yours is 24 GB - just a capacity difference.

Accelerate your desktop PC without replacing your hard drive

Desktop computers running the Windows® 7 or Windows 8 operating system. An open SATA port must be available on the motherboard to install the SanDisk ReadyCache SSD
    Part: Desktop Accelerator
    I suspect the cache holds the OEM Recovery (based on the partition Type) but it would make more sense for it to also hold boot contents.

The drive might be put to better use, but that will take a lot of looking. In the end, very little might be changed - perhaps only placing the Windows10 install wim on the Recovery partition - not sure.

If your machine is running fine, it's easier to leave it be. ... it's only 24 GB (only he says)

Let me know if you want to play with the ReadyCache/Boot/Recovery possibilities. It takes a bit of time doing it on a forum ...

I'd need to know the exact model of you Asus to go any further ... and answers to questions I haven't yet asked *Wink
    UX501 | UX305 | UX303| UX301 | ?something else?
    Also, it would be helpful to know what Win10 has configured for the Recovery partition:
    Command Prompt (Admin)
    reagentc /info
    Post the results

It's also VERY useful to members to have details on your machine in your TenForums > Profile > system spec.

The easiest way to do this is to use the information from a PUBLISHED Speccy report.
    See: Speccy - Publish Snapshot of your System Specs

Post the link to the report that Speccy gives you and also open the Speccy link.
    Then click here to view your System Specs on this forum.

When you have both windows open, put them side-by-side and simply copy the information, field by field, from the Speccy report to your System Specs.

• In the System Manufacturer/Model Number field, manually type Desktop or Laptop adding it to the information already in the field. The specific model number is important - there are often many models of a given series.
      For example, my machine is a HP Pavilion dv6, but there are tens of the dv6 series, so dv6-6c10us is the specific model.

• Specify Custom Build as the manufacturer if it is not an OEM machine.

• Don't forget to include the bitdepth of your Os (32-bit or 64-bit)

To see what information other members provide in their System Specs, click on My System Specs in the lower left of any post by any member.

Thanks

Slartybart, Jun 15, 2016
  14. ceauke Win User
    Hey man

I'm a bit embarrased that you have to tell me what's inside my laptop.
    Here's the specci report:
    http://speccy.piriform.com/results/l...VvrhqTQI7FZXWQ

I agree that 23GBs are not that much so I'd rather not mess with it, but if you're curious and you want me to check something I have no problem to continue the investigation.
    The whole thing sounds a bit bloaty I must say. If I dont even know how to use any of these recoveries, what is the point of having it? or is it for when you take it into the shop that the technicians can use it?

ceauke, Jun 15, 2016
  15. ceauke Win User
    and here's the reagentc /info results:

ceauke, Jun 15, 2016
Thema:

1. Broken partition table but somehow it's still working - Similar Threads - Broken partition table

2. Windows 10 Install Partition Table

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Install Partition Table: Hello,I want to know if this is possible and how to do using diskpart and what commands to useI’m installing Windows 10, I want to know if either the System Reserved Partition or Windows 10 Partition can be logical partitions in my MBR partition table to the...
  3. Invalid partition table error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Invalid partition table error: Hello my computer that recently corrupted with using the windows in recovery USB it says invalid partition table on my dell latitude E6440 what can I do I tried updating the BIOS but that didn’t work does anyone know how to fix it thanks galaxy...
  4. Invalid partition table error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Invalid partition table error: Hello my computer that recently corrupted with using the windows in recovery USB it says invalid partition table on my dell latitude E6440 what can I do I tried updating the BIOS but that didn’t work does anyone know how to fix it thanks galaxy...
  5. Invalid partition table error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Corrupted Partition Table

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Corrupted Partition Table: How do I fix a hard drive with a broken partition table, I have tried the following: *diskpart - tried cleaning it with this but failed * - list volume it only shows my USB which is the one I am using to install Windows *bootrec /fixmbr - Gives me "access...
  7. I need help: Sister's Laptop has a broken Partition Table

I need help: Sister's Laptop has a broken Partition Table: I am in some desperate guidance on how to fix my sister's Toshiba Satellite Laptop. Her partition table is either corrupted or broken. I tried downloading the Minitool Partition software with Rufus to boot from it but each time I boot from it, it says it doesn't have a valid...
  8. Invalid partition table

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Invalid partition table: I have just cloned a hard drive using Macrium Reflect. Normally this works perfectly but this time, on start with the new drive installed I get a message that says 'Invalid partition table!' I can hit <enter> and proceed into the system. I would like to get rid of this...
  9. Invalid partition table error

Invalid partition table error: Hi, I am using a Dell Latitude 3550 laptop. I had two OSes (Windows 10 + Linux) on this system. Today I decided to remove Linux and use just Windows 10. I removed through Disk Manager the two partition belonging to Linux (root and swap), and extended my Windows volume to...
  10. backup GPT partition table

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    backup GPT partition table: What is the native way to backup and restore my GPT partition table in Windows 10? When I Google this subject the only people that seem to care about this are Linux admins. 34944