Windows 10: Broken Repair Upgrade In-Place Upgrade In October 2020 20H2 Media Creation Tool.

Discus and support Broken Repair Upgrade In-Place Upgrade In October 2020 20H2 Media Creation Tool. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The most recent Media Creation Tool no longer allows you to keep files and apps as an option when re-installing Windows 10 via the ISO or MCT leaving... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by WolfBruh, Oct 26, 2020.

1. WolfBruh Win User

Broken Repair Upgrade In-Place Upgrade In October 2020 20H2 Media Creation Tool.

The most recent Media Creation Tool no longer allows you to keep files and apps as an option when re-installing Windows 10 via the ISO or MCT leaving you to only wipe everything likely due to a fundamental change in the build involving the build and edition IDs and values, or some other systemic bug inside of the software.

References: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jfa6vb/repair_install_or_in_place_upgrade_is_broken_in/

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/166755-known-resolved-issues-windows-10-version-20h2-6.html

Please help with a workaround for all clean installations, since the current one is only if someone has already upgraded and not installed 2H20 natively because they cannot remove the enablement package.

Thank you.

:)

WolfBruh, Oct 26, 2020
  2. steve108 Win User

Windows 10 20H2 Upgrade

I would suggest waiting until M$ fixes this glitch. There's nothing much you're missing in 20H2 - I'm not installing in myself right now.

Unless you sorely want something here: https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/1...ate-changelog/

steve108, Oct 26, 2020
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    Windows 10 20H2 Upgrade

I doubt it is a glitch. I suspect it was designed that way.

NavyLCDR, Oct 26, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

Broken Repair Upgrade In-Place Upgrade In October 2020 20H2 Media Creation Tool.

dalchina, Oct 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Broken Repair Upgrade In-Place Upgrade In October 2020 20H2 Media Creation Tool. - Similar Threads - Broken Repair Upgrade

2. Windows Upgrade Repair WIn10 or Win11 Media Creation Tool?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Upgrade Repair WIn10 or Win11 Media Creation Tool?: Hi,My system has become horribly unstable after the most recent update, so I am going to try a repair upgrade. I originally had Windows 10, but upgraded to Windows 11. Which Media Tool do I need to download? Do I do this with Windows 10 that has the original key, or with the...
  3. Windows Upgrade Repair WIn10 or Win11 Media Creation Tool?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Upgrade Repair WIn10 or Win11 Media Creation Tool?: Hi,My system has become horribly unstable after the most recent update, so I am going to try a repair upgrade. I originally had Windows 10, but upgraded to Windows 11. Which Media Tool do I need to download? Do I do this with Windows 10 that has the original key, or with the...
  4. Media Creation Tool Windows upgrade error

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Media Creation Tool Windows upgrade error: I'm trying to upgrade my Windows 10 Enterprise OS to Windows 10 Home and bought the new OS and downloaded the .exe file. I also downloaded the installation tool that Microsoft recommended but when I try upgrading my PC, I'm given the error "The language or edition of the...
  5. Media Creation Tool Windows upgrade error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Creation Tool Windows upgrade error: I'm trying to upgrade my Windows 10 Enterprise OS to Windows 10 Home and bought the new OS and downloaded the .exe file. I also downloaded the installation tool that Microsoft recommended but when I try upgrading my PC, I'm given the error "The language or edition of the...
  6. In Place Upgrade / Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    In Place Upgrade / Media Creation Tool: Hi AllI was able to successfully use In Place Upgrade Media Creation Tool choosing the option of keeping personal files and applications to upgrade to the latest version 21h1 of Windows 10 this May. However I was still having security update issue even after a freshly...
  7. Where to place the Media Creation Tool

Where to place the Media Creation Tool: Ok, I use tethering/hotspot for my Studio Computer for internet. I need to use the Media Creation Tool. When I down it. Where should I put it? On my Desktop? Should I place it on the USB Flash Drive? And if not, when using the Media Creation Tool when I select USB drive will...
  8. media creation tool 20H2

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    media creation tool 20H2: When media creation tool 20H2 is downloaded then run it flashes with no progress. How do you fix media creation tool so that it runs? Does the directory need to be switched? If so how to you run once the directory is switched? The media creation tool was downloaded 5...
  9. "repair install" or "in place upgrade" is broken in 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "repair install" or "in place upgrade" is broken in 20H2: You cannot to a "repair install" or "in place upgrade" and keep files and apps with 20H2. It works fine with 2004. The installation media will not allow you to keep your files and apps. All other options other than "Nothing" are greyed out. To be clear, you CAN upgrade from...
  10. Media Creation Tool for Upgrades

Media Creation Tool for Upgrades: Quick question about the use of the Media creation tool. I am currently using MCT1903 on a USB to upgrade my PC to windows 10. I didn't turn the USB into a bootable device; I just put the tool on it. I am wondering if on the "Downloading Windows 10" screen of the...