Windows 10: Broken search bar

Discus and support Broken search bar in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My search bar doesn't work every time Windows does a security update. The troubleshooter says fixed, but it lies! The only thing I have been able to do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jennyfurby, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Broken search bar

My search bar doesn't work every time Windows does a security update. The troubleshooter says fixed, but it lies! The only thing I have been able to do is uninstall the update causing the issue but I don't want to have security issues. Please help! Thank you. :

:)

Jennyfurby, Jan 13, 2022
  2. Brink Win User
    Brink, Jan 13, 2022
  3. Search Bar/Cortana

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 family.

From the description, I understand that you are still receiving the pop up notifications, despite having disabled the search functionality in windows 10.

Steps to disable the Search Bar

• Right click on the task bar.
    • Select the "Search" option.
    • Select "Disable."
    However, if the above steps don't work out, perform the below suggested steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Open a CMD window started as Administrator.

Repair corruption: Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.

Run this command next: Sfc /scannow

Now run these two commands:

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Hope the above information was helpful.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jan 13, 2022
  4. Broken search bar

Search on Task Bar Broken

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand how difficult it is, when the device doesn't work in the way it should. I appreciate the troubleshooting steps that you've tried so far.

Seems that the issue is related to Windows search feature, which is not working in the current user account and moreover you have confirmed that it is working on new user account.

As you have mentioned the troubleshooting steps in the post which should have fixed the issue. We would like to know the end result of SFC Scan, DISM and Search Troubleshooter.

However, we would suggest to perform these methods and check.

Method 1: Check the Windows Search service status.

1. Press Windows +R key from the keyboard to launch
      Run command.
    2. Type services.msc
      and click Ok.
    3. Scroll down the list and right click on
      Windows Search service.
    4. Click on Properties
      and then change the startup type as Automatic and click on Start
      under General tab.
    5. Select the Dependencies tab. You will see a list of dependency services, please expand each
    6. Then search the Dependencies service under the Service list and check the status. If required perform step 4 for all of them.

Method 2: How to Reset and Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10

1. Open the Control Panel, click/tap on the
      Indexing Options icon, and close the Control Panel.
    2. Click on the Advanced button.
    3. In the Index Settings tab, click on the
      Rebuild button under Troubleshooting.
    4. Click on OK to confirm.
    5. Indexing will now be in progress and once it is completed, then check if the issue persist.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jan 13, 2022
Thema:

Broken search bar

1. Broken search bar - Similar Threads - Broken search bar

2. search bar broken?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    search bar broken?: So when I change tabs, the search tab opens and closes around two, and then it goes back to normal.This is the video link thank you for your help.I use opera gx https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-bar-broken/f2bfcc23-b57a-43ea-ba35-ef28d0f3c7a4
  3. search bar broken?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search bar broken?: So when I change tabs, the search tab opens and closes around two, and then it goes back to normal.This is the video link thank you for your help.I use opera gx https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-bar-broken/f2bfcc23-b57a-43ea-ba35-ef28d0f3c7a4
  4. Broken search bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Broken search bar: My search bar doesn't work every time Windows does a security update. The troubleshooter says fixed, but it lies! The only thing I have been able to do is uninstall the update causing the issue but I don't want to have security issues. Please help! Thank you. :...
  5. Broken search bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Broken search bar: My search bar doesn't work every time Windows does a security update. The troubleshooter says fixed, but it lies! The only thing I have been able to do is uninstall the update causing the issue but I don't want to have security issues. Please help! Thank you. :...
  6. Search bar broken

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search bar broken: My search stopped working a few days ago, and when I opened it, it closed.As it lets me type and then disappears when I continue, it does not show any results or error messages....
  7. Search bar broken

in Cortana
    Search bar broken: I have a issue with my search bar, i re installed the os because i had to much clutter on it, i have used the iso before which I downloaded on the 17 jan, i then got another usb and downloaded the latest iso from tge Microsoft website and every time i install it by formatting...
  8. Search Bar on W10 is broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search Bar on W10 is broken: I have been having this issue for a month or two now, but whenever I click on search in the taskbar to search something up it crashes and closes after 2 seconds (roughly). I have tried just about any fix on youtube including reinstalling windows but no dice. It's super...
  9. Search bar broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search bar broken: i cant search what the hell? ive tried everything, restarting search.UI, troubleshooting, restarting the PC. does anybody experiecne the same thing? ive tried to upload a screenshot but somehow reddit gave me an error submitted by /u/boigang420 [link] [comments]...
  10. Search on Task Bar Broken

in Cortana
    Search on Task Bar Broken: So I see this is becoming a common problem, and I can safely say I've tried almost everything to fix it. The problem is I can type into the search on the task bar, but all that I see is a grey box with no results, which makes finding my fav programs very tough indeed....