Windows 10: Broken start menu & control fix?

Discus and support Broken start menu & control fix? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all at r/Windows10 For about a week, on one client (a VM), my user is kinda broken. The start menu does not open, when trying to open the system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/CitrixOrShitBrix, May 28, 2020.

1. Broken start menu & control fix?

Hi all at r/Windows10

For about a week, on one client (a VM), my user is kinda broken. The start menu does not open, when trying to open the system information via rightclick on the start menu --> system, it simply does nothing and when trying to open the settings via rightclick on the desktop --> display settings, it outputs an error "This file does not have an app associated".

No problem, after some googling I tried the following:

sfc /scannow; DISM; Re-initiate all app packages via PoSh; delete local profile data in C:\Users and our relocated roaming profile (another UNC share), re-add the user in control passwords2

I seriously can not recall, what else I already tried but nothing works. Also, Google does not really help anymore, because, as already stated, I tried almost all of it and now I hope for some personal experience that I could not find online.

Does anyone know, what else could maybe fix that problem? Since I am working within a domain, a new user is no option, re-initiating/re-doing the VM would be way too much work to be honest, I would rather have some fix before doing that. Except there is no chance fixing that fun, then I sadly have no choice but putting in another few days of setting everything up I need.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Some additional info: Currently running 1903, Win10. Can not run any updates AFAIK, because said system control simply does not work. Except maybe via PoSh?

submitted by /u/CitrixOrShitBrix
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/CitrixOrShitBrix, May 28, 2020
  2. STEvil Win User

Fan control for 4870X2 broken in 1.17

Fixed fan controls yes. Annoying profiles yes. Buggy code yes.

I'd rather just set it and forget it as the feature list of RBE suggested it was capable of doing.

STEvil, May 28, 2020
  3. ronf1011 Win User
    Broken shortcut on Start Menu program list

Go to the control panel and delete there, while we still have control panel

ronf1011, May 28, 2020
  4. Dims Win User

Broken start menu & control fix?

Start Menu is broken after installing Windows 10

After installing Windows 10, my Start Menu got totally broken.

Most of the programs and absent in it now. They can't be found neither by search, nor by step-by-step navigation.

Some of programs are substituted for another versions.

Simultaneously, the Start Menu folder is Ok in filesystem.

So my entire Start Menu is useless now.

To run any program, I am opening Far Manager (file manager), opening Start Menu folder in it and doing search for appropriate *.lnk file.

I.e. I am doing by hand what Windows should do with it's Start Menu feature.

*.lnk files are working fine.

Various aspects of the problem were discussed in questions:

Where are ALL locations of Start Menu folders in Windows 10?

How to fix / refresh start menu in Windows 10? How to add / remove / edit items in bulk?

Can't find applications anymore in Windows 10

So, please don't suggest primitive solutions, covered there?

Thema:

Broken start menu & control fix?

1. Broken start menu & control fix? - Similar Threads - Broken start menu

2. start menu broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start menu broken: My start menu is broken. It splits in half and I cant click on the side where the apps is placed. I need my start menu. I cant see logs where I can see the cause of the concern so I decided to reach you. I need help...
  3. start menu broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start menu broken: My start menu is broken. It splits in half and I cant click on the side where the apps is placed. I need my start menu. I cant see logs where I can see the cause of the concern so I decided to reach you. I need help...
  4. start menu broken

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Start menu broken shortcut

Start menu broken shortcut: Hello guys, I have an issue here. When I was rearrange my start menu I found a doubled "Word" icon, and I tried to remove it.But when I tried to find this shortcut location with right click then 'more', there is no 'Open file location' option.I've already look in start menu...
  6. Start Menu is broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu is broken: So I booted into Windows 10 because I need to write a PowerShell script and my Start Menu just broke itself. It worked perfectly fine, I rebooted and since then it's not been showing up at all when clicking at the Start button or pressing the Windows key. I have not installed...
  7. Is my start menu broken?

Is my start menu broken?: [ATTACH] Just updated as well, and thought I would finally give the windows 10 start menu a go, and not use classic shell. But I'm unsure whether my start menu is broken, and I should do a clean install. I can drag a tile from the start menu to the desktop, but I can't drag...
  8. Broken start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Broken start menu: Can anyone help me fix my start menuwhich wont appear when clicked on? It appears briefly then disappears. Version 1909 OS Build 18363.693 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/broken-start-menu/7e7f3f8d-3288-4899-9d25-a3ee5d9f0e4c
  9. Start menu broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu broken: I have gaps where icons should be but I cant move/rearrange many of the icons. I also cant create a new group submitted by /u/mallorcaben [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ez6g66/start_menu_broken/
  10. Broken tile images in start menu. How to fix?

Broken tile images in start menu. How to fix?: Upgraded the home computer this morning (win10 home). All was looking well until all of a sudden Paint.net starting showing half the image and shortly after, the Photos app as well. It only happens if I set the size of the tiles as small. Any idea what's going on and how to...