Windows 10: Broken Start Menu, Cortana, Edge and Action Center - any advice?

Discus and support Broken Start Menu, Cortana, Edge and Action Center - any advice? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Powered on the desktop one day and Start Menu, Cortana, Edge, Windows Store and Action Center were all broken. For example, Edge seems to launch then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bob26, Apr 25, 2016.

1. bob26 Win User

Broken Start Menu, Cortana, Edge and Action Center - any advice?

Powered on the desktop one day and Start Menu, Cortana, Edge, Windows Store and Action Center were all broken. For example, Edge seems to launch then just dies (no error message), and the usual left click on the menu button does nothing, (although right-click still gives me options).

I've tried the "usual" of SFC, followed by DISM, then that wierd Powershell script (all from the Ten Forums) but that hasn't solved the problem.

Since I've got separate OS, Apps and User data partitions I also tried recovering an earlier backup of the OS partition, but that made no difference.

This leaves me with three options - try a Refresh, try a Repair Install or erase my disks and do a fresh install (again). I've got faith in my Acronis backups, and the PC's only been built for two months, so a fresh install isn't the pain that it normal would be (although I'll still lose at least a night putting back all the apps - and their settings - that I've currently got installed). Although I'd make very sure that I got a fresh (separate) backup before I did any reimage or repair.

Repair Install would obviously be my first choice - so I don't have to reinstall all the apps - but I'm a little concerned it's not a completely "clean" solution. Fresh install is obviously the "cleanest" solution - but it'd be a pain to find the process I used last time to make my default user location a non-standard one.

Anyone (a) seen this before) and/or (b) any advice/gotcha's in what I'm proposing.

:)

bob26, Apr 25, 2016
  2. lacrumb Win User

Start menu, Cortana, edge, store and action center not working after update KB399986

What build are you using?

To check version and build;

Right click start, click Run, enter winver, hit enter

lacrumb, Apr 25, 2016
  3. JTinHB Win User
    Start menu, Cortana, edge, store and action center not working after update KB399986

I have the problems with the Start menu, Cortana, edge, store and action center not working and couldn't fix it with all the recommendations: uninstalled dropbox, dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, sfc Scannow, PowerShell etc. I finally did
    a full reinstall and it went away. Then I checked for updates, installed them and had the same start menu etc. problems again. This machine originally ran Windows 8.

JTinHB, Apr 25, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

My suggestion is to do a Repair Install as you have already mentioned.

Worse comes to worst, backup your personal files you want to keep, bite the bullet and do a Clean Install.
    Start everything fresh.

davidhk, Apr 25, 2016
Thema:

1. Broken Start Menu, Cortana, Edge and Action Center - any advice? - Similar Threads - Broken Start Menu

2. Start menu, taskbar and Action Center not as translucent as they should be

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu, taskbar and Action Center not as translucent as they should be: Even after turning on "Transparency effects", the Start menu, taskbar and Action Center are not as transparent as they should be like the other ones on the internet. Even the Colors tab preview under Personalisation shows a more transparent start menu. There is a difference...
  3. Can't access the start menu, or action center

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't access the start menu, or action center: I bought MS Surface Book i5 from a pawn shop. I guess they wiped it and reset it. I can't access the start menu, action center, settings menu, theres no browsers, no apps, no cortana nothing. All i can really do is get a wifi connection and open windows store. It has Win 10...
  4. Start, Cortana,Edge & Search Menu

in Cortana
    Start, Cortana,Edge & Search Menu: Hi, can anyone help me out with this? Start, Cortana, Edge & Search Menu are no longer working correctly after downloading Windows 10 Pro 1903 OS Build 18362.329 32 bitX64 for 86 based systems(KB 4512941) Aug 30 update. I've still got the start button & search bar but it...
  5. Start menu, cortana and edge not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, cortana and edge not working: So i have an msi laptop which has been amazing, i stopped using it for a while, decided id start it back up. I did a system refresh, removing everything so i could start fresh, set it all up and my start button doesn't work, so i reset and still nothing... i have watched so...
  6. Windows Reset - Start Menu, Search, Action Center not working, Settings, Edge and...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Reset - Start Menu, Search, Action Center not working, Settings, Edge and...: Hi I performed a windows reset on my Surface Pro (2018 edition) as I was having some DNS/VPN issues (I didn't have much installed on the PC, so figured a reset would be the most straight forward fix). Since I have performed the reset, my start menu, search bar and action...
  7. Taskbar icons. start menu, action center not functioning

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar icons. start menu, action center not functioning: Please help, taskbar icons (Windows app icons e.g. edge, win store, calculator, win defender, etc.), that includes windows start menu and action center icosns does not function when you click. how to solve. thank you...
  8. Action Center and Start Menu Continually Fail

in Windows 10 Support
    Action Center and Start Menu Continually Fail: Device: Surface Pro 4 OS: Fully Updated Windows 10 Issue: Action Center and Start Menu continually fail. Symptoms: After an unpredictable amount of time, Action Center and Start Menu will not open using multiple prompts. Action Center will not respond to taskbar link or...
  9. Action center is broken again

in Windows 10 Support
    Action center is broken again: Today this laptop's action center would not respond ... again. Why? I logged off and on ... and now it's working again. But what creates this situation? This is not the first time. I'm currently running FCU, version 1709 (OS Build 16299.125). 101738
  10. Start Button Not Working (And Cortana, Search, Action Center)

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Button Not Working (And Cortana, Search, Action Center): I know many people are having this issue. I updated from Windows 7. I restarted my computer after everything running fine this Saturday morning, and now the Start Button, Cortana, Search, and Action Center are unresponsive when clicked. I've tried a lot of the fixes I've read...