Windows 10: Broken Start Menu since October update, any help is appreciated.

Discus and support Broken Start Menu since October update, any help is appreciated. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys, So ever since the (infamous) October update, my start menu has been messed up. I configure my start menu to have no tiles at all, but after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by camrobert, Nov 22, 2018.

1. camrobert Win User

Broken Start Menu since October update, any help is appreciated.

Hi guys,

So ever since the (infamous) October update, my start menu has been messed up. I configure my start menu to have no tiles at all, but after turning my computer off, waiting a little while and turning it back on, the start menu *always* resets to default. I've tried a number of fixes that seemed to work, but when I boot up my PC again the next day, all the pinned apps magically reappear (much to my chagrin).

I've tried all of the following powershell commands with no success:

sfc /scannow

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

I really don't want to have to reinstall my OS for such a ridiculous issue, all I want is a blank start menu. If anyone knows how to fix this I would be indebted to you =)

:)

camrobert, Nov 22, 2018

2. Cortana Search & Start Menu Broken

Hi,

We appreciate the elaborate information provided.

I suggest that you refer to the article Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    and check if the steps provided are of assistance.

Hope this helps

Regards

Vanessa Sohtun, Nov 22, 2018
  3. CLopez123 Win User
    Broken/Duplicate Item in Start Menu

Okay, I ran both commands, and the broken Netflix start menu item was still there, so I restarted my computer and it was still there. I made sure the spacing was right and they seemed to have run properly, I just forgot to take a screenshot as proof before
    I closed the Command Prompt.

CLopez123, Nov 22, 2018
  4. Louie Del Win User

Broken/Duplicate Item in Start Menu

Hi,

The duplicate icon that's appearing in the Start Menu may be due to broken system components or file corruptions. Let's try resolving this concern by running the
    System File Checker tool. This will scan and restore any corrupted system files. To do this, here are the steps:

• Type Command Prompt in the Search box from the taskbar.
    • Right-click on it, then select Run as administrator.
    • Enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (note the spaces before each "/").
    • Enter sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/").

We’ll wait for your update after trying the steps provided.

Louie Del, Nov 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Broken Start Menu since October update, any help is appreciated. - Similar Threads - Broken Start Menu

2. StrTrail.txt Error. Any help is appreciated.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    StrTrail.txt Error. Any help is appreciated.: Hello, I am currently running into a BSOD on my windows Laptop. I currently am stuck in a loop where I cannot even enter Safe Mode, and I have run out of online sources that could help me in the correct direction. According to my SrtTrail.txt file, my error lies within the...
  3. Laptop BSOD Overnight, SrtTrail.txt Error, Any Help Is Appreciated

Laptop BSOD Overnight, SrtTrail.txt Error, Any Help Is Appreciated: Hi, I am currently running into an infinite BSOD loop where my system cannot automatically repair, and the error states: Log file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt. I'm assuming that Windows had an automatic update overnight, which broke my computer (this has...
  4. Any help would be appreciated

Any help would be appreciated: hearing a few seconds delay on the audio and some quiet popping noise on my new Dell XPS 13. Any help would be appreciated on how to solve this issue.[ATTACH]...
  5. WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD, any help appreciated

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD, any help appreciated: Firstly, how do I update the BIOS and firmware needed? Secondly, I no longer posses the old GPU. Is there any other way to confirm that it's the PSU causing the trouble? Depends on the hardware you bought, I have the Asus Z97-A mobo and Asus Strix GTX 980 GPU and both have...
  6. NTOSkrnl+14d2e9 - Help Appreciated

NTOSkrnl+14d2e9 - Help Appreciated: Having BSODs daily. Would appreciate the help. File attached.Attachment 62888 39998
  7. Networking Problem on 5 device home network....any help appreciated!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networking Problem on 5 device home network....any help appreciated!: I am not a networking expert, but in the past have been able to figure out how to keep a network of several home PC's running several versions of Windows. Now, however, with Windows 10, I have having difficulties, and would greatly appreciate any suggestions. I have been...
  8. Broken Start Menu, Cortana, Edge and Action Center - any advice?

in Windows 10 Support
    Broken Start Menu, Cortana, Edge and Action Center - any advice?: Powered on the desktop one day and Start Menu, Cortana, Edge, Windows Store and Action Center were all broken. For example, Edge seems to launch then just dies (no error message), and the usual left click on the menu button does nothing, (although right-click still gives me...
  9. start menu not opening since yesterday

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu not opening since yesterday: Hello , My windows 10 was working fine till yesterday . But now i have met with a problem . The problem is that my start menu is not opening from yesterday . Store, Microsoft Edge and Cortana are also not opening . What to do ? Help me please .... 37407
  10. Start menu broken - how to recover?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu broken - how to recover?: Something happened, I thought perhaps it was a consequence of installing an update. but I did a system restore and the start menu still won't open. I can right click the windows icon [img] but left-click does nothing. What can I do to restore this? 66939