Windows 10: Broken system disk after data copy on another pc.

Discus and support Broken system disk after data copy on another pc. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there. Classic routine: 1. Installed fresh win 10 on laptop 2. Took out a disk from laptop and connected (mb SATA) to desktop pc. 3. Copied needed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KalnzEB, Jul 15, 2019.

1. KalnzEB Win User

Broken system disk after data copy on another pc.

Hi there.

Classic routine:
    1. Installed fresh win 10 on laptop
    2. Took out a disk from laptop and connected (mb SATA) to desktop pc.
    3. Copied needed personal data to laptop`s disk, everything seems to be fine as it should so far.

Now the problem:
    1. Put the disk back in laptop, after a boot there`s no copied data present or it can show up space taken but still no data. (If I put the disk back in desktop pc data is there.)
    2. System apps like Task Manager or any other installed doesn`t show up/run.
    3. After a couple of reboots disk errors show up and windows tries to fix disk errors.
    4. After the fix basically same problems are still present.

All this leads me to think after connecting win 10 system disk to another pc the host pc breaks permissions god knows how and why. I have done data copying hundreds of times for many years before with a same approach - no problems whatsoever. Is the latest windows 10 a problem? Both disks are running latest win 10 1903 + all latest updates.
    Both disks and all other hardware are checked and healthy, no issues.

Has anyone run into this? Can someone explain what`s going on?
    Thank you.

:)

KalnzEB, Jul 15, 2019

2. How can I recover the data from hard disk?

Hello Friends, yesterday while working on my PC suddenly all of my data lost. I was downloading something from the internet and the system suddenly got shut down, after that when I restarted the system there was some error and the system could not start properly. I really want that data as its very important to me. Can anyone suggest me about how to recover the lost data from the hard disk?

willturner, Jul 15, 2019
  3. W1zzard Win User
    Data recovery?! broken Maxtor disk

i will assume the data is more important to you than getting an RMA for a $50 hdd.

- try to hit it sideways (yes i'm serious), maybe it makes some part in the inside go back/out of the way
    - if you don't plan on using hdd recovery services ($$!!), open the drive, find out what causes the noise, fix it and run it on your pc to copy the data off to another hdd. dont ever touch the surface of the disks with your bare hands. a little bit of dust won't matter that much.

W1zzard, Jul 15, 2019
  4. Broken system disk after data copy on another pc.

Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Broken system disk after data copy on another pc. :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Jul 15, 2019
Thema:

Broken system disk after data copy on another pc.

1. Broken system disk after data copy on another pc. - Similar Threads - Broken system disk

2. Copy Disk to an another disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy Disk to an another disk: Hi,I need a solution to make a copy from one hard drive to another. Usually I would just use a hard drive cloner, however in this case they are Intel Computer Sticks, so it is impossible to extract the hard drive from the computer. PXE boot is not possible, neither is boot...
  3. Copy Disk to an another disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy Disk to an another disk: Hi,I need a solution to make a copy from one hard drive to another. Usually I would just use a hard drive cloner, however in this case they are Intel Computer Sticks, so it is impossible to extract the hard drive from the computer. PXE boot is not possible, neither is boot...
  4. Copy Disk to an another disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows System Repair Restores data from another pc.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows System Repair Restores data from another pc.: My Intel NUC HTPC wouldn't boot this morning and went into automatic repair mode. When I returned a few hours later my pc was running fine but with the data from another PC in my home. I assume this was because this other pc was setup to keep back ups in the cloud while my...
  6. Copy programs to another disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy programs to another disk: I have problems on my C disk and I have installed on the disk E windows 10 clean. I would like not to transfer (like EaseUS Todo PCTrans which transfers) but to copy programs (also with settings) from one disk C to disk E. There i an utility orr program what does this do?...
  7. Copy programs to another disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Copy programs to another disk: I have problems on my C disk and I have installed on the disk E windows 10 clean. I would like not to transfer (like EaseUS Todo PCTrans which transfers) but to copy programs (also with settings) from one disk C to disk E. There i an utility orr program what does this do?...
  8. Copy folders from 1 disk to another

in Windows 10 Support
    Copy folders from 1 disk to another: What the heck is wrong with Win 10? At the present time I'm running Win 10 Ver.1909, OS build 18363.692 and can't even copy folders from one disk to another. The folders are on a Samsung 1tb SSD and copying to a WD 3TB disk. When I select a folder, for example "MP3's" it will...
  9. 100% Disk usage while copying data

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% Disk usage while copying data: Hello all, I've a Dell Inspiron 5577 Gaming laptop (7th Gen Core i5-7300HQ/8GB RAM/Seagate st1000lm035-1rk172 1TB HDD)running Windows 10 1803 Build 17134.320. Whenever I copy paste data from one partition or within the partition, disk usage spike to 100% thereby reducing...
  10. copy this installation to another pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    copy this installation to another pc: I have got windows 10, pro on my pc, is there any way to copy this installation to another pc. 37292