Windows 10: Broken system disk after data copy on another pc.

Discus and support Broken system disk after data copy on another pc. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there. Classic routine: 1. Installed fresh win 10 on laptop 2. Took out a disk from laptop and connected (mb SATA) to desktop pc. 3. Copied needed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KalnzEB, Jul 15, 2019.

1. KalnzEB Win User

Broken system disk after data copy on another pc.

Hi there.

Classic routine:
    1. Installed fresh win 10 on laptop
    2. Took out a disk from laptop and connected (mb SATA) to desktop pc.
    3. Copied needed personal data to laptop`s disk, everything seems to be fine as it should so far.

Now the problem:
    1. Put the disk back in laptop, after a boot there`s no copied data present or it can show up space taken but still no data. (If I put the disk back in desktop pc data is there.)
    2. System apps like Task Manager or any other installed doesn`t show up/run.
    3. After a couple of reboots disk errors show up and windows tries to fix disk errors.
    4. After the fix basically same problems are still present.

All this leads me to think after connecting win 10 system disk to another pc the host pc breaks permissions god knows how and why. I have done data copying hundreds of times for many years before with a same approach - no problems whatsoever. Is the latest windows 10 a problem? Both disks are running latest win 10 1903 + all latest updates.
    Both disks and all other hardware are checked and healthy, no issues.

Has anyone run into this? Can someone explain what`s going on?
    Thank you.

:)

KalnzEB, Jul 15, 2019

2. How can I recover the data from hard disk?

Hello Friends, yesterday while working on my PC suddenly all of my data lost. I was downloading something from the internet and the system suddenly got shut down, after that when I restarted the system there was some error and the system could not start properly. I really want that data as its very important to me. Can anyone suggest me about how to recover the lost data from the hard disk?

willturner, Jul 15, 2019
  3. W1zzard Win User
    Data recovery?! broken Maxtor disk

i will assume the data is more important to you than getting an RMA for a $50 hdd.

- try to hit it sideways (yes i'm serious), maybe it makes some part in the inside go back/out of the way
    - if you don't plan on using hdd recovery services ($$!!), open the drive, find out what causes the noise, fix it and run it on your pc to copy the data off to another hdd. dont ever touch the surface of the disks with your bare hands. a little bit of dust won't matter that much.

W1zzard, Jul 15, 2019
  4. Broken system disk after data copy on another pc.

Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Broken system disk after data copy on another pc. :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Jul 15, 2019
Thema:

Broken system disk after data copy on another pc.

1. Broken system disk after data copy on another pc. - Similar Threads - Broken system disk

2. Copying data from PC to UHS chip

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Copying data from PC to UHS chip: I have a new Windows 10. I barely understood how to survive on Windows 7. Now I am utterly confused. I need to give a talk next week with an accompaniment of many power point slides. On Windows 7 I figured out how to transfer them to a UHS chip. Now when I hit the "burn"...
  3. eSATA Data Disk Locks System After Updating Win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    eSATA Data Disk Locks System After Updating Win10: I installed Win10 in July 2016 and left it 'dormant' until yesterday, 1/25/19. I was concerned I might lose the ability to update it. It needed many updates. I forgot to turn off my eSATA data drive before I ran the updates. The update process created a new folder called...
  4. eSATA Data Disk Locks System After Updating Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    eSATA Data Disk Locks System After Updating Win10: I installed Win10 in July 2016 and left it 'dormant' until yesterday, 1/25/19. I was concerned I might lose the ability to update it. It needed many updates. I forgot to turn off my eSATA data drive before I ran the updates. The update process created a new folder called...
  5. How to reproduce the disk of the broken PC on the new one?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to reproduce the disk of the broken PC on the new one?: I use a Microsoft Surface Pro but it has a broken screen, the system is OK. I’ve bought a new laptop and want to clone the disk of the broken one to the new one. How can I do it keeping my installed programs?...
  6. 100% Disk usage while copying data

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% Disk usage while copying data: Hello all, I've a Dell Inspiron 5577 Gaming laptop (7th Gen Core i5-7300HQ/8GB RAM/Seagate st1000lm035-1rk172 1TB HDD)running Windows 10 1803 Build 17134.320. Whenever I copy paste data from one partition or within the partition, disk usage spike to 100% thereby reducing...
  7. copying reading list to another pc

in Browsers and Email
    copying reading list to another pc: Anyone know how to copy a Edge reading list from one pc to another? I know I could use One note, copy paste the page address, or use a similar program, however is there a more efficient way something like google saving passwords. Cheers Raz 24112
  8. Copy Windows APP from one PC to another?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy Windows APP from one PC to another?: Greetings! I just noticed a Store bought APP not being available for download anymore so I can't get it onto my new PC. Apparently It's not even visible to me anymore when searching for it in my Store Library. Where I DO still have access to it is on my old PC so...
  9. Moving System Disk From One MoBo to Another

Moving System Disk From One MoBo to Another: Hey folks - Yes, I know this is a silly idea, but bear with me please. My current system is an Asus X99-based Rampage V Extreme board, which I'm about to replace. I was fortunate enough to squeak one of NewEgg's latest shipments of the Asus Rampage VI Extreme, so that's...
  10. copy this installation to another pc

copy this installation to another pc: I have got windows 10, pro on my pc, is there any way to copy this installation to another pc. 37292