Windows 10: Broken Windows 10 MBR bootloader after failed linux dual-boot installation

Discus and support Broken Windows 10 MBR bootloader after failed linux dual-boot installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Bit of backstory: I have an old Dell Inspiron n5001 laptop and decided to install Manjaro linux after a while on a spare hdd laying around plugged in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by wetSheep, Apr 16, 2020.

1. wetSheep Win User

Broken Windows 10 MBR bootloader after failed linux dual-boot installation

Bit of backstory:

I have an old Dell Inspiron n5001 laptop and decided to install Manjaro linux after a while on a spare hdd laying around plugged in the cd/dvd reader slot using adapter.

I flash my usb with the gui installer, thinking it would be easier than cli. Everything went seemingly well, untiI rebooted the pc and the grub bootloader decided to give up on me and not recognise any drives.

Decided to reinstall Manjaro again a few times installing grub on different places, like the linux root partition, the linux hdd master boot record and so on. Then thought, if my Windows 10 ssd is first in boot order so why not installing it over the windows MBR.

Still nothing, and now i can't boot Windows anymore. Decided to put it for later and continue installing linux after swiching the drives inside the laptop.I did manage to install Manjaro using cli architect and reflash the usb with a Windows install iso from the website using woeusb on linux.

Time to fix Windows

Tried fixing it using cmd in Windows install usb with no luck.

Bootrec /fixmbr worked, but /fixboot said "access denied".

Followed a tutorial on how to fix it with no success. /Scanos and /rebuildbcd don't see the Windows install.

Tried formating the E volume the one with EFI folder

Tried replacing the bcd file with a new one - failed.

As I feel I'm running out of options I decided to ask the forums myself. If I have to, I will reinstall Windows after backing up but I know there has to be a better way.

Sorry for the long story, but had to give context.

:)

wetSheep, Apr 16, 2020

2. Windows 10 installation failure on Linux-Windows dual boot system

I have now tried twice (unsuccessfully) to upgrade the Windows 7 Pro component of my dual-boot system (administered by the GRUB bootloader in the Linux Mint 17.2 partition) to Windows 10 Pro. The installation fails with the message:

"We couldn't install Windows 10

0xC1900101 - 0x2000C

The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during the APPLY_IMAGE operation"

Presumably this can be circumvented by deselecting all other boot entries in GRUB than the Windows one; installing Windows 10; then (assuming successful installation using this method) booting into the Linux live DVD and reinstalling the Linux boot option
    entries?

Why however, should I have to do this when Linux imposes no such installation constraints?

BrianGregory54, Apr 16, 2020
  3. dual booting Windows and Linux

Indeed you can. Just fix the bootloader for windows after installing Linux, add a line to the boot.ini and it will give you the choice via windows bootloader. Same way OS X would do it on a hackintosh.

It will probably go windows bootloader->grub->Linux, though. Since it gives you boot options for linux, its a good idea to have anyways.

Dippyskoodlez, Apr 16, 2020
  4. Broken Windows 10 MBR bootloader after failed linux dual-boot installation

Dual Boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint

Remember that for any more than four Primary Partitions, you'll need to convert one to Logical which can then have as many Logical sub-partitions as you want. Do not force more than four Primary or the disk will convert to Dynamic which becomes a serious
    problem.

As to the optimal way to Dual Boot with Linux I would ensure that you use the advanced options and load grub to the Actual Linux Partition, rather than the active partition, and use EasyBCD to add the grub loader to the Windows Bootloader.

EasyBCD (click Download - no Name or Email required)

With an MBR disk this excellent tutorial would apply even though it's for
    Dual Boot - Windows 7 and Linux

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Apr 16, 2020
Thema:

Broken Windows 10 MBR bootloader after failed linux dual-boot installation

1. Broken Windows 10 MBR bootloader after failed linux dual-boot installation - Similar Threads - Broken MBR bootloader

2. Remove failed install dual boot kali linux with Windows11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove failed install dual boot kali linux with Windows11: I tried installing Kali Linux as dual boot, however there were several AMDGPU errors i could not fix, even in the recovery mode. I decided I will go for another linux as dual boot next to Windows 11 at a later stage. First I would like to remove that partition, including all...
  3. Windows won’t boot after installing Linux in a dual boot configuration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won’t boot after installing Linux in a dual boot configuration: I currently have windows 11 dual booting with Ubuntu Linux, each is installed on its own drive. The problem is I‘m unable to boot back into windows but all the data is still or appears to be available according to Linux....
  4. Kali Linux Dual Boot failed after Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Kali Linux Dual Boot failed after Windows update: I successfully installed Kali Linux dual boot with W11 Home. Hardware: Acer Aspire.It worked well until there was a Windows update.Now I no longer have the option to dual boot. It just boots to W11W11 works fine.I created 100GB of free space by shrinking the C: drive. In Disk...
  5. Kali Linux Dual Boot failed after Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Kali Linux Dual Boot failed after Windows update: I successfully installed Kali Linux dual boot with W11 Home. Hardware: Acer Aspire.It worked well until there was a Windows update.Now I no longer have the option to dual boot. It just boots to W11W11 works fine.I created 100GB of free space by shrinking the C: drive. In Disk...
  6. How to install Windows 10 after Linux in Dual boot?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to install Windows 10 after Linux in Dual boot?: I have been following all these steps https://itsfoss.com/install-windows-after-ubuntu-dual-boot/But for some when I try to boot the windows installation this appear on the screenI can give more details, but I have followed all the steps in the link above and I have been...
  7. Windows 10 Update Destroys Linux Dual-Boot mbr Sector

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Update Destroys Linux Dual-Boot mbr Sector: I was hesitant to allow MS unhindered access to perform all it's updates. But this is a computer I bought for cheap because the guy didn't realize the computer stopped working properly because the windows 10 upgrade from win8 killed the use of the DVD due to just a driver...
  8. Several orphaned drive partitions after failed linux dual boot install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Several orphaned drive partitions after failed linux dual boot install: Partitions can be merged only when next to each other.
  9. linux grub bootloader failed after win 10 updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    linux grub bootloader failed after win 10 updates: My son (26) just returned a long term loan P8B67B Deluxe to me with Linux and Win 7 on it. I upgraded 7 successfully, but after updates installed last night the PC refuses to boot saying "error, no such partition, Entering rescue mode .. grub rescue>" Repeated boot attempts...
  10. Safely dual booting linux without corrupting Win. bootloader? (UEFI)

in Windows 10 Support
    Safely dual booting linux without corrupting Win. bootloader? (UEFI): So for the last 4 years I have played with linux installs on and off. But something I ALWAYS encounter, is when I eventually get tired of linux (from not being able to play my games), during the removal process I always screw up my bootloader then struggle to fix it. Is there...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mbr dual boot windows update problem