Windows 10: Broken WindowsApps Folder On External Drive and Cannot Circumvent Due to an ERROR

Discus and support Broken WindowsApps Folder On External Drive and Cannot Circumvent Due to an ERROR in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Pics: https://imgur.com/a/oxN3VfeSpecs: Precision 5750Windows 10 Pro version 21H1External Drive: WD_Black P10 Game Drive 2.5" HDDSo this thing has been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SP4RTANBLAST, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Broken WindowsApps Folder On External Drive and Cannot Circumvent Due to an ERROR

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/oxN3VfeSpecs: Precision 5750Windows 10 Pro version 21H1External Drive: WD_Black P10 Game Drive 2.5" HDDSo this thing has been driving me NUTS, where I can't install Microsoft software on my WD_Black external drive, and I've narrowed down hundreds of GB of hidden data to the WindowApps folder. I found this out when every attempt to have the computer scan and repair the drive met with failure, and I looked through the size of every other folder, noticing there was a CHUNK of unlisted data. I SUSPECT it is Xbox PC games that failed to install but allocated the spa

:)

SP4RTANBLAST, Nov 14, 2021

2. How to Access Windowsapp Folder On External Drive

Hello,

I have been looking for a while and cannot seem to find an answer to my problem.

That being said, I changed the location for windows apps to install to my new external ssd drive.

The issue is that I am not allowed access to the windowsapp folder it created on said drive.

I have run through the normal steps of gaining access/changing the owner of the folder to no avail (get the following error: "Can't open access control editor. Unable to perform a security operation on an object that has no associated security." - see screenshot
    below)

I need access to this folder in order to copy information over, but cannot figure out how to gain that.

I don't know a lot about computer processes so please try to be clear in your answers! Broken WindowsApps Folder On External Drive and Cannot Circumvent Due to an ERROR :)

See below for information that might be helpful.

Let me know if any other additional information needs to be provided! Broken WindowsApps Folder On External Drive and Cannot Circumvent Due to an ERROR :)

Helpful information:

Running windows 10

External drive is a portable samsung ssd

Thank you! Broken WindowsApps Folder On External Drive and Cannot Circumvent Due to an ERROR :)

Tyler

TylerThrower, Nov 14, 2021
  3. steve_750 Win User
    RETRIEVE FILES FROM WINDOWSAPP EXTERNAL DRIVE

The folder is named " WindowsApps " plural. The spelling on my initial entry was incorrect.

The last step of the take ownership process results in a "bad data" message. I am very concerned about loosing the file.

I scanned the file and nothing was found.

steve_750, Nov 14, 2021
  4. steve_750 Win User

Broken WindowsApps Folder On External Drive and Cannot Circumvent Due to an ERROR

RETRIEVE FILES FROM WINDOWSAPP EXTERNAL DRIVE

I discovered a "windowsapp" folder that unknowingly appeared on an external drive after I inadvertently moved a folder into it. I an not concerned about any of the window files, but I need to retrieve the folder with many of
    my own files. I have been unable to access, move or edit the "windowsapp" folder.

I am concerned windows will automatically attempt to restore this folder by replacing "old" windows files with "new" window files, and the folder moved into it by accident, gets deleted in the process, etc.

How can I extract or access my files from the windowsapp folder on my external drive?

steve_750, Nov 14, 2021
Thema:

Broken WindowsApps Folder On External Drive and Cannot Circumvent Due to an ERROR

1. Broken WindowsApps Folder On External Drive and Cannot Circumvent Due to an ERROR - Similar Threads - Broken WindowsApps Folder

2. WindowsApps folder won't delete on external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WindowsApps folder won't delete on external drive: I have tried deleting the WindowsApps folder from my external SSD but I cant take ownership of it, I have tried doing a force delete using Windows Powershell and a registry tweak to give myself ownership of the file and when I try to manually take ownership of the file, it...
  3. Broken WindowsApp folder in external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Broken WindowsApp folder in external drive: So I have the game pass and I'm trying to find out what's been blocking me from installing it to my external drive. Long story short I use to be able to, but recently became incapable of it, only to find a windowsapp folder on the drive that's empty and with no stated owner....
  4. Broken WindowsApp folder in external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Broken WindowsApp folder in external drive: So I have the game pass and I'm trying to find out what's been blocking me from installing it to my external drive. Long story short I use to be able to, but recently became incapable of it, only to find a windowsapp folder on the drive that's empty and with no stated owner....
  5. Broken WindowsApp folder in external drive

6. Broken WindowsApps folder on D: drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Broken WindowsApps folder on D: drive: I have a WindowsApps folder on my D: Drive that I can't access, can't open/write to it and Windows Store cannot download anything onto that drive due to the folder issue. I have an Admin account and can access my WindowsApps folder on my C: drive but whenever I try interact...
  7. Broken WindowsApps folder on D: drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Broken WindowsApps folder on D: drive: I have a WindowsApps folder on my D: Drive that I can't access, can't open/write to it and Windows Store cannot download anything onto that drive due to the folder issue. I have an Admin account and can access my WindowsApps folder on my C: drive but whenever I try interact...
  8. Broken WindowsApps folder on D: drive

9. Broken WindowsApps Folder On External Drive and Cannot Circumvent Due to an ERROR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Broken WindowsApps Folder On External Drive and Cannot Circumvent Due to an ERROR: Pics: https://imgur.com/a/oxN3VfeSpecs: Precision 5750Windows 10 Pro version 21H1External Drive: WD_Black P10 Game Drive 2.5" HDDSo this thing has been driving me NUTS, where I can't install Microsoft software on my WD_Black external drive, and I've narrowed down hundreds of...
  10. Broken WindowsApps Folder On External Drive and Cannot Circumvent Due to an ERROR

Broken WindowsApps Folder On External Drive and Cannot Circumvent Due to an ERROR: Pics: https://imgur.com/a/oxN3VfeSpecs: Precision 5750Windows 10 Pro version 21H1External Drive: WD_Black P10 Game Drive 2.5" HDDSo this thing has been driving me NUTS, where I can't install Microsoft software on my WD_Black external drive, and I've narrowed down hundreds of...