Windows 10: Brother HL-5140 Printer suddenly stopped working.

Discus and support Brother HL-5140 Printer suddenly stopped working. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; It's actually been about a week that I haven't used my printer, coz I've been printing in the office. But today I had to print and suddenly it wasn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Esra921, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Esra921 Win User

Brother HL-5140 Printer suddenly stopped working.

It's actually been about a week that I haven't used my printer, coz I've been printing in the office. But today I had to print and suddenly it wasn't responding. Kept saying it was offline... so I decided to delete the printer then reattach the USB cable on it, hoping it'll reset everything. Now Windows is not even recognizing it.

This is what I get in the Device Folder Brother HL-5140 Printer suddenly stopped working. 7c9b45df-4d9c-42f0-bb83-11e6d3e21de7?upload=true.jpg

Help please. I know this printer is old, but this is one of the rare printers that can use a refurbished toner. Toners now adays cost n arm and a leg.

:)

Esra921, Nov 7, 2018

2. Brother HL-5150D series - Error 0x80070005 with Windows 10

Same problem with a Brother HL-5140.

Unfortunately your proposed solution does not work because the Brother site says:

"The built-in driver is already included with Windows® Operating System or is available through Windows® update. The built-in driver supports the basic functions of your Brother machine. Click
    here to see how to install the built-in drivers.
    "

I can get as far as the printer appearing on the "Devices and Printers" page but down at the bottom of the page where it shows the printer status it says, "driver unavailable". Also the printer does not appear in the Device Manager list, nor does it appear
    on the page, "Print Management - Custom Filters - All printers". On this same page no drivers are shown for the HL-5140.

How can I get drivers for this printer if Brother says they are already included in Windows 10 and offers no drivers or driver updates to download?

LionelBooth, Nov 7, 2018
  3. Brother HL 5140 suddenly not printing showing error #1801

Hi Alan,

Thank you for being part of the Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and your effort towards resolving it.

Try the following methods and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to refer to the following Microsoft article on Fix printer problems.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-printer-problems

If the issue persists then follow the below method.

Method 2:

I would recommend you to update the Brother HL 5140 Printer driver manually from the
    Device Manager.

Refer to the following Wiki article created by Andre Da Costa on How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10.

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Nov 7, 2018
  4. Brother HL-5140 Printer suddenly stopped working.

W10 - Printers - Brother HL-5140

This printer has been sporadically working since the W10 upgrade. Worked fine on W8.1. I tried to re-install the driver by first uninstalling the printer using device manager and then letting W10 find new hardware. Windows looks like it is installing
    drivers and the printer shows up on the Devices and Printers page. BUT: the stats shown at the bottom of the page is Driver is Unavailable.

Brother's website states that W10 has its own drivers for this printer and Brother has no downloadable drivers for W10, or for that matter 8.1, 8, 7.

Is it the case that maybe it was working sporadically as a fluke and now something has changed on my system that killed it? Is it the case that there are no useable drivers for this printer on W10?

As I said, there are NO drivers to download on the Brother site.

Ideas, other than toss the old printer out?

LionelBooth, Nov 7, 2018
Thema:

Brother HL-5140 Printer suddenly stopped working.

1. Brother HL-5140 Printer suddenly stopped working. - Similar Threads - Brother 5140 Printer

2. Printer problems with HL-5340D Brother printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Printer problems with HL-5340D Brother printer: Brother - Printers - Brother HL-5340D series driver was downloaded on my Windows 11 computer yesterday from WINDOWS UPDATE. I printed a test page. But I cannot get it to print anything else. Brother does not support Windows 11 for this printer. Why was I able to print a test...
  3. Printer problems with HL-5340D Brother printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printer problems with HL-5340D Brother printer: Brother - Printers - Brother HL-5340D series driver was downloaded on my Windows 11 computer yesterday from WINDOWS UPDATE. I printed a test page. But I cannot get it to print anything else. Brother does not support Windows 11 for this printer. Why was I able to print a test...
  4. No printer driver found for Brother HL-5040

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No printer driver found for Brother HL-5040: I Just moved from an old PC to a new PC. I did NOT migrate. I am setting the new system fresh. The printer was working on the old PC which was running Windows 10 NOT Pro, using the same USB cable. Brother Printer HL-5040 now connected to a PC running Window 10 Pro, version...
  5. Brother printer HL-5420 is unavailable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Brother printer HL-5420 is unavailable: Can't connect my brother HL-5420 to my Windows 10 Dell XPS 64 bitHI there is another posting on this topic that is locked and I wanted to share another solution.My Brother HL-5420 printer was linked to my Dell XPS 15. The printer is showing in 'Settings\Bluetooth & other...
  6. Brother Printer Scanner HL-L2390DW

Brother Printer Scanner HL-L2390DW: My Surface communicates thru Wifi. The printer works but I get a message that no scanner found. How can I get my scanner to work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/brother-printer-scanner-hl-l2390dw/b2570b5b-e9d4-418b-8c5d-979abfc39e58
  7. Brother printer stopped working

Brother printer stopped working: My Brother printer model DCP-195C stopped working recently, I believe as a result of a Microsoft update. Will this printer problem be resolved by Microsoft in another update ?...
  8. Printer Brother HL-2360D

Printer Brother HL-2360D: My brother L2360d series is printing the page all black with the message in white lettering. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-brother-hl-2360d/e7cbec37-2282-4cc4-aafb-6a5db39fbcd3
  9. brother HL-2170w printer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    brother HL-2170w printer: after downgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 my printer will not work. I removed all drivers re-installed several times, no good. machine will not recognize printer with or without drivers. Is there a solution for this? I tried the printer on another machine on the...
  10. Brother wireless printer HL-L2370DW offline

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Brother wireless printer HL-L2370DW offline: Won't print docs on print q...installed new modem, and printer will not work now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/brother-wireless-printer-hl-l2370dw-offline/c87479b5-1f59-4be9-8cc4-7c1f7b4f8090