Windows 10: Brother Printer exists & works, but won't "Install" - Why?

Discus and support Brother Printer exists & works, but won't "Install" - Why? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Gang I have really appreciated how Windows 10 can pickup devices on the network and get them working without the user even knowing what happened. Saves... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cognus, Apr 8, 2020.

1. cognus Win User

Brother Printer exists & works, but won't "Install" - Why?

Gang I have really appreciated how Windows 10 can pickup devices on the network and get them working without the user even knowing what happened. Saves steps. With multifunction printers, however, it is better in some cases to run the Manufacturers software stack for key important key features, in this case scanning multiple pages into one PDF. I have not seen a case like this one: The Device, a Brother MFC-L2707dw, is working - windows dropped it into Devices & Printers with no intervention, both by USB, and later by WIFI. The basic functions work. It will print, scan, and copy. But all not well.

The info on the printer is not populated other than the basic ID: it gets the model correct, all other information missing in Windows Devices & Printers. Most importantly, in trying to install either the Basic Drivers package or the Full Features package from Brother [they only list those two in Downloads for Windows 10], I have to quit the install because it cannot detect the printer. Fails when connected by USB, and fails when connected only by WIFI [and the printer works on WIFI as well as USB]. Similarly, if I delete the Printer and then use the "Add Printer" in Windows Control Panel, Windows 10 cannot discover the device. [but it does... just not the prescribed way]

I have not tried this in Safe Mode - I assumed drivers would be squelched and the package would fail again.

Anyone have a suggestion here?

C

:)

cognus, Apr 8, 2020
  2. 95Viper Win User

Virtual Pdf Printer Driver Won't install and Fixes won't work

You might be able, if needed, to get the old version, here at oldapps web site (disclaimer: I do not vouch for this site... check any and downloads with your fav malware/antivirus apps): Old Version of PrimoPDF for Windows XP

PrimoPDF forums are down it seems... however, I found this at PCReview forums, quote from "Unable to Install "Software" Printers":

Same solution on MSDN thread, "cannot install printer driver in XP Embedded":

95Viper, Apr 8, 2020
  3. KTR
    ktr Win User
    printer won't work on network but will over usb

his printer has a built-in print server.

What you need to know what ip is being give to the printer. Perhaps you can print a status sheet from the printer.

Then Go to printers in control panel

add a new printer

local printer attached, uncheck automatically detect and install PnP printer

create a new port, select standard tcp/ip port

a new window should open and enter the ip there where it says printer name or IP address (port name then should be also be filled as you go)

and pretty much follow the rest of the steps, you will need to install the printer drivers.

These steps is the easy, but not the right way.

The right way is to use the network option on the initial screw and search for the printer server...but that can be tricky to configure.

4. topgundcp Win User

Can't Access networked Brother Laser printer- To print or use Web I/f

Not all Printer drivers are included in the installation media. Even mine (Brother HL-4040CN), you would need to manually add it to the list:

1. Control Panel->Devices and Printers->Add a Printer
    2. Follow the steps to set up a network printer. At one point, Windows will search for available printer, click on "The printer that I want isn't listed"
    3. Click on "Windows Updates". Windows will start downloading a complete list of Printers.
    4. Select your printer name & model then install.

EDIT: Just tried to install as a USB printer for MFC-7820N since I don't have this printer to set up as a network printer. The result as shown in the list after clicking on "Windows Update":

Brother Printer exists & works, but won't "Install" - Why? [​IMG]

topgundcp, Apr 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Brother Printer exists & works, but won't "Install" - Why? - Similar Threads - Brother Printer exists

2. Why a Brother Printer Driver is Downloaded and Installed?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why a Brother Printer Driver is Downloaded and Installed?: This started when my wife's computer got updated to Windows 2004 without my being asked. That seems to be fine, but I wonder why Windows Update is now downloading and installing a driver for our Brother MFC-9340DW printer. I'd not encountered this before. There is already a...
  3. Brother Printer Not Working After Fresh Install of Windows

Brother Printer Not Working After Fresh Install of Windows: I reinstalled Windows 10 v2004 on my laptop and now my wireless Brother printer will not print, even though it's connected and the computer can see it. I can add the printer, manage but when I try to print, I quickly get an error. Clearing the print queue and printing a test...
  4. Brother Printer

Brother Printer: I cannot get my printer to print anything from my laptop. The internet is unstable, so I have it cabled connected. It copies and work wireless to pint PDFs only. I've removed it and added the device again; still no luck. ugh...
  5. Brother printer stopped working

Brother printer stopped working: My Brother printer model DCP-195C stopped working recently, I believe as a result of a Microsoft update. Will this printer problem be resolved by Microsoft in another update ?...
  6. Brother Printer Not Working

Brother Printer Not Working: Windows 10 has affected my printer. I need simple, easy directions to get my printer and PC to talk to each other again. Thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/brother-printer-not-working/a854253d-a2e0-46ee-a090-df5e19cd0e87
  7. brothers MFC-J415W printer won't print

brothers MFC-J415W printer won't print: My Brothers MFC-J415W says that it's printing my test page/document but then it disappears from the Que with nothing printed. My husband can print remotely from his computer. My laptop printed fine a week ago!...
  8. why is my brothers printer not working no more since the update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    why is my brothers printer not working no more since the update: for some reason brothers printer is not working with the update , brothers costomer service said to get ahold of Microsoft to fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/why-is-my-brothers-printer-not-working-no-more/6039ac85-9ab1-4551-9792-07c5742495e3
  9. Brother Printer Install Failing

Brother Printer Install Failing: Good Morning Friends! :) I am trying to install a Brother 6200 on my Win 10 laptop, and getting a failure that I'm not sure how to resolve. I run the installer and then it quickly says "File or directory corrupted and unreadable." Which directory is it probably looking at...
  10. Brother printer wiFi installation

Brother printer wiFi installation: Cannot get my subject printer to operate on Windows 10. Model printer I HL-L2350DW which always remains "off-line". https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/brother-printer-wifi-installation/c1fd0258-a339-463b-a35b-5e8c11be0ca5