Windows 10: Brother printer must be re-connected to computer each time W10 starts

Discus and support Brother printer must be re-connected to computer each time W10 starts in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello All I have recently upgraded my computer to an Acer Aspire H30 (i5). My old Brother laser printer (HL 5140) worked fine via W10 and W7 on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Photoman, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Photoman Win User

Brother printer must be re-connected to computer each time W10 starts

Hello All

I have recently upgraded my computer to an Acer Aspire H30 (i5). My old Brother laser printer (HL 5140) worked fine via W10 and W7 on a previous computer. Now, it only works if I unplug and re-connect the USB connector or the power supply, each time the computer re-starts.

On start up, the printer shows as off-line and if put it online (Devices and printers > right click > see what's printing > uncheck Use Printer offline) I get an error message (Printer is in an error state, or "Printer could print), until I disconnect the USB or the power cord and re-connect it. It will then work fine until I shut down the computer.

I have it connected by USB to a port at the rear of the Acer. In Printer properties it shows as being connected to port USB001 Virtual Printer Port. I'm using the most recent update of Windows 10.

I have checked the drivers: there are none available for download from Brother - not required apparently - and the installed driver is showing as "up to date".

I have spent the last week trying various "solutions" found online, but so far nothing works.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Stephen

:)

Photoman, Sep 12, 2016

2. W10 - Printers - Brother HL-5140

This printer has been sporadically working since the W10 upgrade. Worked fine on W8.1. I tried to re-install the driver by first uninstalling the printer using device manager and then letting W10 find new hardware. Windows looks like it is installing
    drivers and the printer shows up on the Devices and Printers page. BUT: the stats shown at the bottom of the page is Driver is Unavailable.

Brother's website states that W10 has its own drivers for this printer and Brother has no downloadable drivers for W10, or for that matter 8.1, 8, 7.

Is it the case that maybe it was working sporadically as a fluke and now something has changed on my system that killed it? Is it the case that there are no useable drivers for this printer on W10?

As I said, there are NO drivers to download on the Brother site.

Ideas, other than toss the old printer out?

LionelBooth, Sep 12, 2016
  3. mcadavies Win User
    Can't remove Printer in Windows 10 (Microsoft Surface Pro3)

Still struggling!

At some stage in the past I must have installed an HP Color Laserjet 2820 since that now seem to be linked to 3 printers!

I can delete the printers in the Control Panel

I can open printui /s/t2 but when trying to delete the divers for the HP Color Laserjet 2820 I find either that I do not have permission ( though signed in as an admin) or it reports that the file is in use.

Each time I re-start W10 the same printers re-aapear!

Help!

Michael

mcadavies, Sep 12, 2016
Thema:

Brother printer must be re-connected to computer each time W10 starts

1. Brother printer must be re-connected to computer each time W10 starts - Similar Threads - Brother printer must

2. Brother printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Brother printer: My Brother MFC235C printer does not work with Windows 11. Apparently, according to Brother, there is an update to fix this. Where can I get access to it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/brother-printer/9671df8d-6654-451a-9a40-c937072572de
  3. Brother printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Brother printer: I can load my Brother printer software but it will not actually install, why?. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/brother-printer/29dde689-b09c-4cbe-bfb4-acf6c49ac5d1
  4. Brother printer

Brother printer: when i send a print it comes out as A5 but all the settings appear to be A4. when i send it from another device the print is correct in A4. There must be a setting somewhere that needs to be changed, but i can't find it....
  5. Brother printer still can not be connected

Brother printer still can not be connected: My Brother MFC-6490CW has not worked since the May-June security update. I am running Windows 10 2004 version and am seriously in the need for someone to tell me how to get my printer working again. The 1909 and 2004 patches suggested both return a "not suitable for your...
  6. Brother Printer

Brother Printer: I cannot get my printer to print anything from my laptop. The internet is unstable, so I have it cabled connected. It copies and work wireless to pint PDFs only. I've removed it and added the device again; still no luck. ugh...
  7. Brother printer not connecting

Brother printer not connecting: I cannot get my printer up and running. I removed the update KB4560960 per instructions on the Brother website for my printer MFC-845CW. I restarted my computer, restarted my printer, ran the Microsoft Troubleshooter, no problem detected. No communication between my PC and...
  8. W10 update killed my Brother printer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    W10 update killed my Brother printer: June 13, 2020 W10 version 10.0.18362 A recent W10 update (the actual update number isn't available) knocked out my trusty Brother HL 4070cdw printer. All W10 debug attempts, Brother printer settings, wifi and router settings to determine the trouble reported OK e.g....
  9. connecting L2300D brother printer to wifi

connecting L2300D brother printer to wifi: I'm setting up a new printer & can't figure out how to set it to wifi https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-l2300d-brother-printer-to-wifi/c44b3add-5dc3-45b0-88e9-9580216c86a3
  10. Brother printers - wireless connection

Brother printers - wireless connection: I have two Brother printers: HL-2270DW and MFC-L2700DW. If the internet connection goes out for any reason, it's a nightmare for both printers. When the internet connection is restored, they still will not print, even when the WLAN report says Connection OK. But here's the...