Windows 10: Browser downloading .asp webpage instead of desired file

Discus and support Browser downloading .asp webpage instead of desired file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; One of our newly deployed customer PCs is having a strange issue with a specific file download from the internet. When the affected users click to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SylvanLink IT, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Browser downloading .asp webpage instead of desired file

One of our newly deployed customer PCs is having a strange issue with a specific file download from the internet.

When the affected users click to download the file (it's an excel spreadsheet in .xls format), the browser tries to download the .asp web page instead, and the user can't get the file. Additional conditions are as follows:

• Windows 10 Pro 1809
    • Happens across all browsers (Edge, IE, Chrome). This seems to rule out browser settings - something in the operating system?
    • Is user profile specific. We have two users on this PC that have the problem no matter what, and two that can download the file fine. This seems to rule out a problem on the web server side.
    • Previously worked for the affected users - was not happening before a couple of week ago. Something changed in the affected profiles - no idea what.
    • Cannot do a system restore as restore points only go back to a point in time after the problem surfaced

I'm baffled. Could recreate the affected profiles again, but really don't want to do so since the problem could just come back if we don't know the cause. Would much rather pinpoint and fix whatever setting or change is causing this.

Help!

Kerry

SylvanLink IT

:)

SylvanLink IT, Jun 28, 2019
  2. monim1 Win User

EMUI

Here's the steps to update EMUI 4.1.1 to 5.0 :
    • Download the EMUI 5.0(desired version) .zip file, and unzip it.
    • Place the .hwt file in the HWThemes folder from your phone.
    • Using the Themes app, apply the new theme.
    • Restart the phone, in order to see all the new changes.
    And you’re done!

monim1, Jun 28, 2019
  3. .asp file problem

*Frown Browser downloading .asp webpage instead of desired file :( Oy! I'm not getting through to you . . .

Let's look at the code one more time. Here's the HTML part:
    Code: <html> <body> <form action="getdemo.asp" method="get"> Your name: <input type="text" name="name" /> <input type="submit" value="Submit" /> </form> </body> </html>[/quote] If you copy it to a file and save it with the ".html" extension it'll look good in your browser, but it won't be functional

Why not?
    Because all of the HTML is being run on the client side, the server is doing no processing other than providing the data you've requested.

So if you add the following to the previous HTML:
    Code: <% dim theName theName = Request.QueryString("name") IF theName <> "" THEN set fso = Server.CreateObject("scripting.FileSystemObject") set f = fso.GetFile("..\names.txt") set ts = f.OpenAsTextStream(8, -2) ts.WriteLine(theName) f.Close End If %>[/quote] Then save it as ".asp" and again try it, NOTHING HAPPENS.

Why does nothing happen?
    Because the ASP code must be executed on the server, the server DOES NOT EXIST so the code is never executed. Your browser will see the ASP code and do nothing because it cannot be processed client side.

How do we fix it?
    Install IIS. And make sure your ".asp" and ".html" files are added to the "Inetpub\wwwroot" directory. Then open your server by browsing to "http://localhost/mypage.asp".

*Pimp Browser downloading .asp webpage instead of desired file :pimp:

streetfighter 2, Jun 28, 2019
  4. Gino Des Win User

Browser downloading .asp webpage instead of desired file

Microsoft Edge Webpage Content Flickering Issues with Facebook and Other Websites Which Contain Videos In Their Webpage.

Hi,

Let's try to isolate the cause of this issue, we suggest that you use a new
    InPrivate window
    and try to go to a webpage with a video again. Follow the steps below:

• Open Edge.
    • Click on the three dots icon on the upper right part of the screen.
    • Click New InPrivate window.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you disable hardware acceleration and use software rendering instead of hardware rendering to view the webpage.
    Here are the steps on how to use software rendering:

• Click Start.
    • On the search bar, type Internet Options, and click on
      Internet Options
      from the results.
    • Click on the Advanced tab.
    • Under Accelerated graphics, check Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering.
    Let us know how it goes for us to assist you further.

Gino Des, Jun 28, 2019
Thema:

Browser downloading .asp webpage instead of desired file

1. Browser downloading .asp webpage instead of desired file - Similar Threads - Browser downloading asp

2. Can widgets open apps instead of webpages?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can widgets open apps instead of webpages?: I'm accustomed to the tiles in Windows 10, which worked really well:the Calendar tile showed your schedule for the day then you can just click on it to open Microsoft's Calendar appthe Mail tile gave a preview of new emails then you can just click on it to open Microsoft's...
  3. Can widgets open apps instead of webpages?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can widgets open apps instead of webpages?: I'm accustomed to the tiles in Windows 10, which worked really well:the Calendar tile showed your schedule for the day then you can just click on it to open Microsoft's Calendar appthe Mail tile gave a preview of new emails then you can just click on it to open Microsoft's...
  4. photos saved as webpage instead of .jpg

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    photos saved as webpage instead of .jpg: Lately when I open an attached photo from my phone it won't let me hit file, save as. They are going to my google drive. How do I change this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-saved-as-webpage-instead-of-jpg/2454f0bb-c96b-4db5-beb6-3b22bcbd1eb6"
  5. Browser opens at startup with weird webpage

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Browser opens at startup with weird webpage: This problem, I think, has started after upgrading to version 1903. When my PC starts, I get this webpage opened in my browser (Firefox): [ATTACH] I located the source and I have this startup process as shown by my task manager: [ATTACH] So am I facing a malware or...
  6. How to download email file to browser

How to download email file to browser: How to download email file to browser https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-download-email-file-to-browser/f76ffba4-35c7-4d57-a5a0-c73d36ab3040"
  7. Downloaded file not getting stored at desired location.

Downloaded file not getting stored at desired location.: Whenever I am logging in as a user and try to download and store a file at a particular location I get a message " C:\User\User1\Appdata\Local\Temp\HafrCLJ.pdf.part could not be saved , because you cannot change the contents of that folder. Change the folder properties and...
  8. How to have Edge open a specific file instead of webpage when opening

How to have Edge open a specific file instead of webpage when opening: I have IE open a bookmark file when opening that has links that I use often. But with Edge there is not way to do this. How can I do this? Or is this impossible? I do NOT need/want to open Edge with "Top Sites' etc. IE allows this. Edge does not....
  9. browser crashes on specific webpages

browser crashes on specific webpages: I'm using windows 10, and each time i use to open or search hackerrank, hackerearth , malwayrebytes my browser crashes irrespective of which browser i'm using. it also crashes on some links which i could not remember. i have tried to open these links on different devices...
  10. Wimboot is not desired

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Wimboot is not desired: How can I stop Windows 10 from installing into Windows image file boot (WIMBoot), without formatting? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/wimboot-is-not-desired/fa74bc47-8dd9-49b7-a5b7-a9c217cdb46f