Windows 10: Browser Hijacking (IE11 and EDGE)

Discus and support Browser Hijacking (IE11 and EDGE) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi Folks Be extra careful currently as there is STILL a problem in security with IE11 and Edge which can allow "unscrupulous" users to hijack your... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by jimbo45, Mar 2, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Browser Hijacking (IE11 and EDGE)

Hi Folks
    Be extra careful currently as there is STILL a problem in security with IE11 and Edge which can allow "unscrupulous" users to hijack your browser / do other nasty things - and currently NO A/V software can protect against this.

BE VERY CAREFUL if using IE11 / EDGE until Ms applies the patch. DO NOT RELY SOLEY ON YOUR A/V SOFTWARE - this won't protect you in this case. People are often lulled into a false sense of security after installing some extra A/V software -- this actually makes them MORE likely to fall into traps than people who only have the base WD stuff installed but browse carefully. !!!

Here's the article - from BBC (and Google) so it's not from some dubious journalist writing for a magazine hoping to make a few bucks.

Bad bug found in Microsoft browsing code - BBC News

I posted this note also in the Browsers section as some people don't read this part of the Forum.

Cheers - and SAFE browsing

jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 2, 2017

2. Yendex

Yendex (en.yendex.com) has hijacked Microsoft Edge and a Pop Up prevents me accessing Settings.

I am now using IE11 or Chrome to bypass problem but liked Edge until this happened.

I didn't download anything but probably got infected in the clickbait slums!

ergoautodidact, Mar 2, 2017
  3. ESmith_ZX Win User
    browser hijacker malware it effects IE11, MS Edge, and Chrome

Background:

• Windows 10 64 bit (with auto updates turned on)
    • I have a browser hijacker malware it effects IE11, MS Edge, and Chrome.
    • I have Virus guards ect in place (McAfee- Security centre)

To date I have:

• Run a full scan with McAfee
    • Used ad remove programmes , found a suspicious programme, could not uninstall it, used combination of tools to find its location (including Regedit).
    • Removed reference to it in Regedit.
    • removed Chrome
    • Reset IE11, removed unwanted search engines
    • Reset landing page
    • re run McAfee scan – no virus etc found
    • hijacker malware still there
    • installed Spyboot, run scan, and repeated resetting IE11 ect
    • Scan showed no problems
    • Run Microsoft’s MRT (malicious Software)
    • downloaded and ran Microsoft’s Safety Scanners. –
    • hijacker malware still there
    • Full review of Programmes listed in add/remove programmes – none are un expected.
    • Any ideas?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

ESmith_ZX, Mar 2, 2017
  4. eLPuSHeR Win User

Thanks for the heads up. I guess it will be patched soon (I hope it too).

eLPuSHeR, Mar 3, 2017
  5. CountMike New Member
    It's funny how it's almost always Google that finds stuff like that.

CountMike, Mar 3, 2017
  6. dencal Win User
    Well it goes without saying that one likes to kick the opposition in the teeth.

dencal, Mar 3, 2017
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Unlike a lot of people I Don't find companies like Amazon / Google etc members of an "Evil Empire" -- they are only using defective taxation systems that if people don't like -- well in most countries where these sorts of things matter every individual has a good weapon -- it's called "The Ballot Box". (I know not always a perfect solution but better than anything else -- I've been stuck in a few Bars in England trying to referee all sorts of problems between "Pro Brexit" and "Remain" people before they start throwing punches at each other !!! - you can't square a circle -- but at least as Iceland isn't in EU so I'm not involved and perceived as a Neutral - even if I do like Man Utd football club-- was just trying to keep the peace and scrounge a few free Drinks !!!!!)

I'm actually relieved that there ARE companies around who have the resources to challenge Ms and ask awkward questions -- if there are flaws people want to know. I don't care if Google wants to oust Ms -- it doesn't seem to want to create too many problems with Windows users - and without Windows users using Google where would it be !!! (and I LOVE the idea of driverless cars etc - problems to solve for sure but eventually they will be solved).

Question for any sort of A.I though -- autonomous car (Driverless) say has six people in it -- young kid kicks a ball and chases it into a busy highway -- it's 90% certain that either the kid will be killed or 5 of the 6 people in the driverless car will be killed depending on the action the Driverless car takes --- Nasty one that - but unless you segregate Driverless and Driver controlled cars this sort of event WILL happen -- very problematic programming here. !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Browser Hijacking (IE11 and EDGE) - Similar Threads - Browser Hijacking IE11

2. Browser Hijackers

in Browsers and Email
    Browser Hijackers: I have searched the internet for three days now using my cellphone because the three browsers on my desktop are hijacked by taboola orrecp.mkt 81 or a few others. I have used, as suggested, "Hi-Jack This"---"Malwarebytes"---an three others. These bad apps cannot be found...
  3. Browser Hijacker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Browser Hijacker: Recently found all google searches on my preferred browser ending up with yahoo search results on my Windows 10 desktop. Checked all software for latest updates, ran full Defender scan, but could not restore the Google search engine. Finally stumbled across this piece of...
  4. browser hijacker

browser hijacker: https://operateeditfind.info/search_web.php?q=juice&uid=71e51036-9c7c-4578-ef6bc94560e9&rnd=1&themeIndex=1002&b=firefox&bv=69&secret=ketica_ff_ext_avg&source=1 I'm using an HP Netbook and running Windows 8.1 I keep getting redirected to yahoo.com when I use my default...
  5. Browser hijack

in Windows 10 Customization
    Browser hijack: Hi whenever I open a page from within an app my default browser which is almost advert free is bypassed and microsofts advert fest Edge is used instead. Edge is pretty much unusable to me as I despise being forced to view adverts also I dislike the search engine which I have...
  6. Browser hijacker

Browser hijacker: How do I know if I've got a browser hijacker? And why do I keep getting calls saying my computer is in danger? Supposingly from microsoft agent....
  7. Can't get rid of browser hijack in Edge.

in Browsers and Email
    Can't get rid of browser hijack in Edge.: Got hit with a drive by browser hijack which has set my Edge start page to Yahoo Search - Web Search It also disabled the Home button and changed my default search from Google to Yahoo. I tried the Edge reset powershell script. That failed. Microsoft Edge - Reset to...
  8. java update hijacked edge browser

in Browsers and Email
    java update hijacked edge browser: A older java update has hijacked my edge browser and I cant get rid of the page asking to update. 20004
  9. Edge Browser hijack scam

Edge Browser hijack scam: Last night I got the scam where the Browser (Edge) is locked and a message pops up saying to call a number. There is a computerised voice telling me I have a problem. I can open Explorer ok and am using it to type this. I ran AV (Defender & MBAM) but nothing came up. I...
  10. Edge Hijacking?

Edge Hijacking?: Is this a highjacking? Did scans with Defender, Mbam, Adwcleaner and Hitman Pro, which none detected. Could not open Edge without it appearing. Finally solved with a backdated recovery. 22737

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hyjacking ie11