Windows 10: Browser Malware Etc

Discus and support Browser Malware Etc in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; A while back I commented on browsers, namely firefox, adding malware to their product. I was told basically that this was impossible if I got it from... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by elbmek, Nov 12, 2015.

1. elbmek Win User

Browser Malware Etc

A while back I commented on browsers, namely firefox, adding malware to their product. I was told basically that this was impossible if I got it from source, which I always do.

I meant to produce some visual evidence but a bad memory let time slip by.

Here is a screen dump of the problems found 10 minutes ago. The first scan I had done for a week.

Two of them I can associate with - virginmedia, as I use their services.

If these are an =issue due to my web viewing, then why does IE not get 'infected' ??

:)

elbmek, Nov 12, 2015

2. Windows 10 Malware attached to Chrome, Edge, and Explorer Browsers

Popup window with following message interferes with browsing:

"Your computer is infected with an adware or malware causing you to see this popup. etc, etc etc."

Only options in the popup are two "buttons" - [Leave this page] or [Stay on this page}. Windows defender is up to date, but does not find any problem during full scan of Windows 10 operating on a Surface "PC".

Microsoft store employee removed Chrome Browser from Surface unit, and said problem solved. Have used Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge Browsers to access MSN.COM site. Both browsers trip the same "Malware Warning Popup" again.

How do I get rid of this malware??

BobMiller_967, Nov 12, 2015
  3. Le Boule Win User
    Malware in browsers

Have you sought advice from your antivirus provider (Avast, Avira, McAfee, Norton, Trend, etc)?

Any browser extensions that need to be disabled/removed?

For issues with Google Chrome see How to stop unwanted pop-ups or homepage changes in Chrome,
    and How to reset Google Chrome settings. You may want to use Remove unwanted ads, pop-ups & malware - Computer - Google Chrome Help

Did you reset your browsers?

How to reset Internet Explorer to Default Settings (2017 Help Guide)

How to reset Google Chrome settings to default (Complete Guide)
    How to reset Mozilla Firefox to Default Settings (2017 Help Guide)

How to Reset Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Also see this free removal guide from Malwaretips:
    https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-browser-redirect-virus/

Regards…

Le Boule, Nov 12, 2015
  4. essenbe Win User

Browser Malware Etc

elbmek, those are mostly tracking cookies you pick up from web sites you visit. Nothing added to Firefox. Check any browser you use for a while and you will find the same thing. It depends on how you have your cookies set as to how many you will get. But it really doesn't matter how you set them, you are going to get a bunch of them in any browser.

essenbe, Nov 12, 2015
  5. elbmek Win User
    Thanks for that. After I had cleaned it out, I ran spybot and got 1 x doubleclick. I am now running MWB premium, so far - zilch. As an experiment, (as I was not happy with IE11 or 12 or whatever) I tweaked in to run IE7 compatibility. Its so much faster, less than a second and its on my screen. I may consider trying it again, as default.

ps: like the memory ref in sig: my memory can only run 1 sec at a time.

elbmek, Nov 12, 2015
  6. essenbe Win User
    No problem. I hope it helps, at least a little.

essenbe, Nov 12, 2015
  7. elbmek Win User
    I decided to give the all new FF a try. but before I did, I did a spybot scan - clean.
    I installed the new FF and did another scan - a doubleclick spy/ad bug and another one I forget. And in FF. Nothing was added after FF was installed and the scan completed.

elbmek, Apr 12, 2016
  8. essenbe Win User

Browser Malware Etc

After using them for a short while, try doing a scan with superantispyware. It will find lots of things others miss.

essenbe, Apr 12, 2016
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Very good choice I might add, been using SuperAntispyware for years, finds stuff Malwarebytes doesn't even look for. *Smile

OldMike65, Apr 12, 2016
  10. elbmek Win User
    I think this may need moving to spyware etc section. Anyway. I downloaded your recommendation

looks like mainly adware tracking cookies and one called mookie1; demdex,scorecardresearch cookie, and others

So really, how good is this software, i it worth browsing for others? Thanks mike, just seen your post.

over 4400 still scanning; i hpe this is not going to take out anything 'innocent' ???

elbmek, Apr 12, 2016
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    After it finds all the files it lists to remove, it does give you a choice on weather to remove a file or not. I always just agree. *Smile

OldMike65, Apr 12, 2016
  12. essenbe Win User
    *Ditto I do the same. I run it about 3 times a week and delete anything it finds. It will usually, by default, put what it finds in quarantine. Go to tools > Quarantine and click the trash can. It will delete them all. It will also tell you whether they are tracking cookies or something else. Tracking cookies are just an annoyance. Too many of them can slow you down, but most are not dangerous. If it finds something more dangerous, it will usually tell you. I have never had it take out anything it shouldn't. Some small programs contain tracking features and it may take that out, but so far I have not had it take out anything important. If you are worried, leave everything in Quarantine for a while and see if everything still works right. Then delete them once you are sure.

essenbe, Apr 12, 2016
  13. elbmek Win User

Browser Malware Etc

I 'hit the switch' and deleted everything. rebooted and sesms ok. Reviews on SaS were a bit mixed but not bad. Taking wrong files out seemed to be a problem.

elbmek, Apr 12, 2016
  14. essenbe Win User
    Good job. I've seen some of those reports too. I have used it for years and it has always been right on for me. I just attributed those reports to what someone elects to install on their machine and where they download it from. But, that's just an assumption on my part.

essenbe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Browser Malware Etc

1. Browser Malware Etc - Similar Threads - Browser Malware Etc

2. wSpeedAsk Browser Extension - Malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    wSpeedAsk Browser Extension - Malware: Split from this thread.Hi,I am going through the same problem as you guys.There is an extension named 'wSpeedAsk' and it reinstalls itself even after getting removed from all the browsers edge, brave, chrome.It is loaded from 'C:\ProgramData\Cljnhuz' and this folder too comes...
  3. Malware, phishing, etc...

Malware, phishing, etc...: Please tell me how to get rid of s.yimg.com.Has had my email; *** Email address is removed for privacy *** hacked for sometime now. I am on SSI, a disabled veteran and I live on a fixed income of less than $900 a month, so I can't afford to buy anything....
  4. Adguard extension to Firefox browser is malware

Adguard extension to Firefox browser is malware: It interrupted internet connection after a period of time of use. On uninstall the problem was fixed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/adguard-extension-to-firefox-browser-is-malware/44a52651-e2f9-46e5-af4d-427dfbe9fdc3
  5. Virtual Machines, VPN, malware, security etc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Machines, VPN, malware, security etc: Hi, I'm just reading about virtual machines and think it can be very useful for web browsers who may choose to frequent the less...salbrious areas of the world wide web. What i wanted to know is it a fool proof way of protecting your host system from rogue applications ?...
  6. Internet Browsers Randomly Closing Etc

in Cortana
    Internet Browsers Randomly Closing Etc: Occasionally, I would just be browsing the internet when all of a sudden there is a message saying I have to reload the page, and this is on Google Chrome. I go over to Microsoft Edge and it just closes the whole browser when I open it. If that doesn't happen my laptop would...
  7. Virus, Bot, Malware, Etc?

Virus, Bot, Malware, Etc?: Good morning! I work in an office with 4 people. We are all connected to the Internet via Ethernet cables but also have WiFi. We have one particular computer/login that has been giving us issues and pulling down our connectivity speed. Basically, going from 24-26mbps to...
  8. malware/ trojan attacking browsers

malware/ trojan attacking browsers: Hi there, to cut a long story short , my sisters toshiba satellite was running very very slow . ;installed adware cleaner and malwarebytes and ran it .... it found many problems . I quarantined them and removed them but they came back ! The browsers have been taken over by...
  9. Malware Messed with my Browsers...

Malware Messed with my Browsers...: I was on the Internet , and I installed a file that had some malware on it. For some reason , when I updated to windows 10 it removed my malware protection suite (I use Norton Security Suite) I tried to download it on Firefox. It said that I had lost internet connection. I...
  10. Persistent immovable popups, adware, malware etc

Persistent immovable popups, adware, malware etc: Have use Win 10 successfully since released. two weeks ago I began being besieged by immovable persistent popups. Since then I have scanned HP Pavillion laptop with Norton, PC Cleaner, Reimage and AVG [free]. All of them found and cured faults, declared the system clean yet...