Windows 10: Browser search bar does not have focus upon opening

Discus and support Browser search bar does not have focus upon opening in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I got a new PC yesterday. On my old PC, if I right-clicked on a browser icon in my taskbar and selected 'New Window' or 'New InPrivate Window' or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Christy, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Christy Win User

Browser search bar does not have focus upon opening

I got a new PC yesterday.

On my old PC, if I right-clicked on a browser icon in my taskbar and selected 'New Window' or 'New InPrivate Window' or 'New Tab' or anything along those lines, upon seeing that window open, I would see the cursor blinking in the search bar and could begin typing.

On this new PC, if I perform those same actions to open a new window or tab, I still see the cursor blinking in the search bar but my focus stays stuck on the task bar icon that I used to invoke the program, so when I start typing, nothing happens at all. I need to manually click in the window to give it focus so that I can type into it. If there are currently no windows open yet for the program, and I simply just left-click the taskbar icon to open a session, it lets me type in it just fine. It just seems to be the 'right-click icon > left-click menu option' that won't give focus to the window when it opens. I made a taskbar icon for Notepad so I could try the same thing, and it seems to let me type in there just fine without clicking into it first regardless if I left-click the icon to open it or right-click then select a menu option to open it, but not in any of the web browsers I try.

The behavior is the same regardless of whether I use Firefox, Chrome, Edge, etc, so I don't believe it a problem with a specific browser not having focus upon opening. This issue feels more on the Windows side. The only difference I can think of between my previous Window 10 PC and this Windows 10 PC is that the previous one had Windows Enterprise edition, and this one has Windows Professional edition, but I'm not sure if something like that would make any difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

:)

Christy, Jul 27, 2020

2. Why is Bing forced upon me when I try to search on the web using the search bar? And why does the search bar use Edge instead of my default browser?

Original Title: Search bar

Why is Bing forced upon me when I try to search on the web using the search bar? And why does the search bar use Edge instead of my default browser?

DogToasterNom, Jul 27, 2020
  3. nikname Win User
    Search bar out of focus

When I open Microsoft Edge and start typing something in search bar, suddenly I lose focus and it keeps returning and losing focus. I can't even write three letters in a row. And every time it returns focus to search bar, if there was some text already typed it is going to be selected all and if I continue with typing it's just being overwritten, so it is impossible to write anything.

This same thing happens with my search bar in Windows start.

What causes this problem?

nikname, Jul 27, 2020
  4. Browser search bar does not have focus upon opening

search does not work in task bar. DOES work in File Explorer

Task bar search does not work and I have tried all of the recommended steps. Had to recently reinstall Windows 10 64b (preserved personal data) and the search has not worked since.

Suggestions? Recommendations?

Thx

John Vacheresse, Jul 27, 2020
Thema:

Browser search bar does not have focus upon opening

1. Browser search bar does not have focus upon opening - Similar Threads - Browser search bar

2. search bar does not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    search bar does not work: well, to begin the windows search bar wont work, it does not let me type anything , i tried to do a trouble shooting and this apears when i try to load the trouble shooting: "error 0x80131018" , i tried to open windows powershell but that only opens and closes itself...
  3. search bar does not work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    search bar does not work: well, to begin the windows search bar wont work, it does not let me type anything , i tried to do a trouble shooting and this apears when i try to load the trouble shooting: "error 0x80131018" , i tried to open windows powershell but that only opens and closes itself...
  4. Focus box above search task bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Focus box above search task bar: Hi, I have this opaque box at the bottom of my desktop above my task bar. This is notepad opened so I could add arrows as the box is hard to see against any other color than white. When I hover a mouse over that area my session wheel spins. I cannot override the focus of the...
  5. Focus box above search task bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Focus box above search task bar: Hi, I have this opaque box at the bottom of my desktop above my task bar. This is notepad opened so I could add arrows as the box is hard to see against any other color than white. When I hover a mouse over that area my session wheel spins. I cannot override the focus of the...
  6. Start menu/new application does not have focus if task bar is hidden

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu/new application does not have focus if task bar is hidden: Hi, I noticed this after installing latest update ?, that if my taskbar is hidden, 'Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode' option, Start menu search, i.e. press Windows key and start typing, does not work, nor does the newly started application have focus.Search...
  7. Search bar not opening

in Cortana
    Search bar not opening: I'm on the most recent version of windows 10 and whenever I use a shortcut that requires the windows key or I click on the search bar it automatically closes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-bar-not-opening/691960a6-7d27-430d-9734-04a8ac06414f
  8. My Search Bar does not open and the search in File Manager does not work.

in Cortana
    My Search Bar does not open and the search in File Manager does not work.: Hello, my Search Bar and File Manager search bar does not open/work.I have tried a few methods online but none of them worked for my issue....
  9. All browsers crash upon opening.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All browsers crash upon opening.: All my browsers except edge crash as soon as I try opening them. I have no error messages as it just closes immediately. I have already tried the troubleshoot compatibility tool. submitted by /u/TEK012 [link] [comments]...
  10. Search bar does not work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Search bar does not work: I can not enter any item in the search bar https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-bar-does-not-work/aa1a60df-7d11-459c-97c5-e41a5cea64c6