Windows 10: bruh why do I need product key to upgrade I thought it was free

Discus and support bruh why do I need product key to upgrade I thought it was free in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Sramos06 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jrdn6q/bruh_why_do_i_need_product_key_to_upgrade_i/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Sramos06, Nov 10, 2020.

1. bruh why do I need product key to upgrade I thought it was free

/u/Sramos06, Nov 10, 2020

2. Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade

Hi,

I did not realise I had been at all vague, my apologies.

Unfortunately my neighbour now has his laptop back as I got nowhere. I have suggested he wait until the windows 10 upgrade system makes it available through windows update (it is in the queue).

As stated, I have tried running from the media created by the media creation tool to a USB (this is what I used to successfully upgrade my laptop and surface Pro). I have also run the media creation tool and opted for it to upgrade directly rather than save the files.

The operating system is Win7 Home premium OEM version. The key is valid and I re-validated it to be sure with the MS online actvation system. The laptop is 64-bit.

On each occasion it goes through the initial install steps and then gets to the screen where it asks for the product key.

On this screen there is no skip option and as the product key is not accepted, the only option is to cancel the install.

For some reason the upgrade seems to be taking a different path on this machine and does not give the skip option.

Regards
    Mike

mikepaterson, Nov 10, 2020
  3. EliSherer Win User
    Cannot upgrade to Windows 10 - Unique Product Key situation

No... let me try again.

• Old computer is running Win7 Pro (SP1) with a Product key I have from a few years ago. The Product is activated already, but I do NOT use this computer at this point, so I didn't worry about using the Product key when moving to the new computer (see below).
    • New computer is running Win10 Pro, with data and OS migrated from the Old computer, (same Product key as above), then Upgraded to Win10 (without getting a new Product Key).
    What I am trying to do now...

• I want to upgrade the OLD computer (Win7 Pro) to Windows 10... using a new Product Key I just purchased.
    • I have tried to do this internally, and also using the ISO burned to a thumb drive. But it does not want to work.
    • Steps:
      • Start from USB drive.
      • Enter New Product Key (or click "I don't have one").
      • Install initiates and then tells me to restart from Windows and then open the installer again to continue.
        • At this point, I actually need to Quit the installation to restart the machine.
      • When restarted, I go to the USB drive and restart/resume the installation process.
      • I have tried to download and not to download updates, but when the installation fails, I see the message, "Something happened" and "Setup has failed to validate the product key".
      • NOTE This happens if I enter the NEW Windows 10 Product Key, or if I skip that step (which I assume means that it will use the old Windows 7 Key for the upgrade).

EliSherer, Nov 10, 2020
  4. bruh why do I need product key to upgrade I thought it was free

Convert a Windows 8pro product key to a Windows 10pro produkt key

Hi Andre,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to Uninstall the license using the following steps.

• Press Windows key + X
    • Click Command Prompt (Admin)
    • At the command prompt, type: slmgr.vbs -upk
    • Press Enter, this will uninstall the product key from the computer.
    Further on, install Windows 8.1 activate the copy with the product key on the new machine. Then again upgrade the same to Windows 10 using Window Update or Media Creation Tool.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Nov 10, 2020
Thema:

bruh why do I need product key to upgrade I thought it was free

1. bruh why do I need product key to upgrade I thought it was free - Similar Threads - bruh why need

2. do I need to enter product key after doing in-place upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    do I need to enter product key after doing in-place upgrade: I have windows 11 21H1 on my pc. I want to upgrade to 22H2 but I couldn't download it on settings. I have tried a lot of things. I used the troubleshooting tool twice. And I used Media Creation Tool. But none of them work. So I will use In-place upgrade. After I upgrade it do...
  3. do I need to enter product key after doing in-place upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    do I need to enter product key after doing in-place upgrade: I have windows 11 21H1 on my pc. I want to upgrade to 22H2 but I couldn't download it on settings. I have tried a lot of things. I used the troubleshooting tool twice. And I used Media Creation Tool. But none of them work. So I will use In-place upgrade. After I upgrade it do...
  4. I need free upgrade to 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need free upgrade to 10.: Split from this thread.Im having the same problem with windows 7. the laptop was given to me then i found out it no good. if we could upgrade for free it would open the world up for my kids...
  5. I need free upgrade to 10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need free upgrade to 10.: Split from this thread.Im having the same problem with windows 7. the laptop was given to me then i found out it no good. if we could upgrade for free it would open the world up for my kids...
  6. Do I need to buy a new product key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do I need to buy a new product key?: I recently built a new PC, and need to activate windows on this new one. A friend of mine told me I could contact support and have them give me a product key, but I couldnt find any info on it. Do I need to buy a new one or can I get a free one? -The last PC I had was...
  7. bruh why do I need product key to upgrade I thought it was free

bruh why do I need product key to upgrade I thought it was free: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Sramos06 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jrdn6q/bruh_why_do_i_need_product_key_to_upgrade_i/
  8. i need product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    i need product key: Hi, I just bought, via online, office 365 Home for 6 users, and one i share to my son for his study, but when he installed oh his PC it requires product key. How can i have the product key? pls help me, Thanks alot, Regards, RM...
  9. I need a product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I need a product key: I recently purchased a new laptop computer from HP, but the OS disk and product key were not included. They redirected my inquiry to Microsoft. I need this to activate Excel. Excel thoughtfully converted all of my Open Office spread sheets to the Excel format. Now it...
  10. Bruh Windows Product Keys??

Bruh Windows Product Keys??: I am building a new PC (first time) and am worried about illegitimate product keys. I am unsure of all the different types of keys and what they mean. Can someone please explain what an OEM key is and whether or not I could use it on a new PC build? How about a Windows 10...