Windows 10: BSOD after activating Virtual Machine Plattform or installing Docker Desktop

Discus and support BSOD after activating Virtual Machine Plattform or installing Docker Desktop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey, I reinstalled my Laptop with Windows 10 20H2 Build 19042.685 and I want to youse Docker with WSL 2. I activated the Virtual Machine Plattform... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by teiling88, Dec 27, 2020.

1. teiling88 Win User

BSOD after activating Virtual Machine Plattform or installing Docker Desktop

Hey,

I reinstalled my Laptop with Windows 10 20H2 Build 19042.685 and I want to youse Docker with WSL 2.

I activated the Virtual Machine Plattform and after a reboot I get only a Bluescreen. Go back to the last recovering Point works.

Then I tried to install Docker Desktop, after a reboot I get the same Blue Screen.

I attached https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zMeJQw7kOHlN9RG76rq_9D2Gr1_5_IJ5/view?usp=sharing the two minidumps which were generated.

I have no idea why this happend. The latest driver are installed from Lenovo.

Greetings

:)

teiling88, Dec 27, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.

Please get a cup of coffee, lean back and think an answer for these two questions. Take your time, then check the answers below the questions:

Questions:
    1. If you do a clean install of let's say Windows 10 Insider Build 10525 on a totally new computer which has never had an activated Windows 10 on it, does it activate?
    2. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 Insider Build on a computer where the underlying Windows 10, upgraded from a qualifying old operating system has already been activated, does it activate?

Answers:
    1. No, of course not.
    2. Yes, of course.

Why do you think that a virtual machine would make any difference? You have tried to install Windows 10 on a totally new machine which has never had an activated Windows 10 installed, therefore the Microsoft activation servers block the activation due invalid machine ID. In the highlighted part in below quote you admit your mistake yourself, plain and simple, yet you when doing this wrong draw conclusion that even if done correctly it would not work:

What you have tried is essentially the same as if you took a brand new real physical PC without any operating system, which has never had any operating system, and then installed Windows 10 Insider Preview wondering why it does not activate! Virtual Machines behave exactly the same way; if you want to clean install Windows 10 Insider Preview and get it activated you must do it on an existing virtual machine, one which has already had an upgraded Windows 10 activated. This "computer", the virtual machine, its machine ID is marked on activation servers as valid and activated and it will of course activate.

Be it a virtual machine or a physical computer, you cannot activate a clean installed Windows 10 Insider Preview on a totally new machine. How difficult can this be to understand?

When clean installing Windows 10 Insider Preview on a computer which has already had a previous Windows 10 Insider activated, you do not use the product key! It will be asked twice, once before the installation starts and once after the last reboot to OOBE phase. In both cases you skip the product key and your Windows will be automatically activated.

3. Docker | Win10 | Virtualize VPN application

Hi everyone, my name is Leonid.

I worked much with Docker on Linux, and pretty much loved the way of virtualizing an application (process, script, daemon) instead of an entire OS.

Now I need to virtualize an application, which runs on Windows only. It's a remote access VPN application. What it does on a regular Windows 7/10 machine - it creates a virtual interface, starts its service and establishes a remote access VPN to your corporate
    or home server. The application has a CLI-version, and it works just perfectly on a regular Windows machine.
    I was told, that an application, which can work on a Windows machine - can surely work under Docker on the same Windows machine.
    But when I tried to launch an MSI of this application in a Docker container (mcr.microsoft.com/windows:1903), the installation seems to not start the application's service, and the virtual interface is not created.

Can anyone please say, whether such task should be possible / supported ? I went through some documentation, and this article:
    Windows container networking
    does not state such limitation, or I'm understanding it not quite correctly.

If this task should be fine, please, recommend a direction, where I should investigate, some generic commands, etc. Thank you!

best wishes, Leonid

Leonid Orlov, Dec 27, 2020
  4. paohasu Win User

Attempting to install docker on windows 10 pro amd hp pavilion laptop

Hello, I attempted to install docker for windows 10 pro 64 bit on my new hp laptop.

However, two things happened.

1. When I enabled virtualization in the bios, I started getting "your system settings have changed please reboot for the changes to go into effect". Well I did reboot several times but kept getting this error message each time I restarted my machine. None
    of the suggestions on the forums helped. Yes, I installed updated graphic cards from amd but that did not work.

2. Docker pop ups continued to harass me asking if I wanted to start Docker, or quit.

Sheesh. So I uninstalled Docker, and disabled virtualization, and now no Docker, no virtualization, no problem.

I was looking forward to using Docker, but I guess I have to go the VM route.

paohasu, Dec 27, 2020
Thema:

1. BSOD after activating Virtual Machine Plattform or installing Docker Desktop - Similar Threads - BSOD activating Virtual

2. CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT after installing docker desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT after installing docker desktop: After installing Docker Desktop the following error appeared. I have deleted this application. Now, some time after the system starts, I get a blue screen CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT. Dumps are not created because the blue screen freezes completely. help me please....
  3. CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT after installing docker desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT after installing docker desktop: After installing Docker Desktop the following error appeared. I have deleted this application. Now, some time after the system starts, I get a blue screen CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT. Dumps are not created because the blue screen freezes completely. help me please....
  4. CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT after installing docker desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 Activation in Virtual Machine

Windows 10 Activation in Virtual Machine: Hi, I have a windows 10 pro running on my desktop and would like to do some experiments on it in a virtual environment. Is it possible to use the same activation key for a second time in my virtual environment? It will be running on the same host machine as the already...
  6. Virtual machine not installing windows

Virtual machine not installing windows: I decided to install Windows 10 as a VM on my iPhone using QEMU, but I'm forced to use 1GB for RAM and the x86 build. Slow as heck. After restarting, it prepares devices, "getting ready" for 15 mins and then boom - black screen. Not off, of course, it's black. The backlight...
  7. BSOD after Enabling Virtual Machine Platform

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after Enabling Virtual Machine Platform: I want to install wsl2 in my Windows 10 PC. But, when I enable Virtual Machine Platform feature and reboot my PC, I always get Page Fault in Non Paged Area error. It says the error is related to rdyboost.sys. Please help me solve this problem....
  8. Docker Desktop Installation Failed

Docker Desktop Installation Failed: I'm unable to install Docker Desktop 2.3.0.4. Installation failed with message - Installation failed: one prerequisite is not fulfilled. Docker Desktop requires Windows 10 Home 19018+ . I'm using Windows 10 Home and i see it's updated as per regular Windows updates. What...
  9. installation of Win10 in a virtual machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    installation of Win10 in a virtual machine: I installed a licensed copy of Win 10 in a virtual machine and once I screwed it up beyond repair I deleted it and created another one. But when I went to activate it I wasn't able to because it was already assigned to another machine and I needed to call MS and spend 8...
  10. Activate Windows 10 After Reinstalling to a Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activate Windows 10 After Reinstalling to a Virtual Machine: Hello, how can I reactivate a Windows 10 on a new VM using a product key from a now defunct VM? I recall I requested from microsoft before via chat support and was able to successfully activate the VM back then. Thanks!...