Windows 10: BSOD after establishing VPN connection - mrxsmb20.sys+bef3

Discus and support BSOD after establishing VPN connection - mrxsmb20.sys+bef3 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, my BSOD is not 100% reproduce able but it happens when my VPN connection is established. Sometimes it crashes imediatly into BSOD sometimes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by supsuop, Nov 23, 2017.

1. supsuop Win User

BSOD after establishing VPN connection - mrxsmb20.sys+bef3

Hello,

my BSOD is not 100% reproduce able but it happens when my VPN connection is established.
    Sometimes it crashes imediatly into BSOD sometimes I can use it for a while befor my system crash.

I've already tried to finde a solution ... but know i give up.

Windows update, Bios update and Software did not change anything.

I hope you can help me.

The name of the VPN client is securepoint VPN
    VPN-Client von Securepoint - Professionell und kostenlos

good luck

:)

supsuop, Nov 23, 2017

2. Windows 10 - VPN needs pc restart to another connection

Hi all,

I have a problem here, after I establish a connection to vpn, I disconnect from it and when I try to establish a new connection it says: "The vpn connection was terminated due to a new network interface and could not be automatically re-established". The
    only solution that I found is to reboot my pc but this is a little bit uncomfortable because it takes to long. If somebody knows why is this behaviour it would be great.

Thanks,

Alex

ArdeleanAlexandru-Daniel, Nov 23, 2017
  3. Windows 10 DNS-Server order when connected via LAN and establishing a VPN Connection

Hi Gil,

the internet Service Provider can't help me. It's Windows 10 related. Everytime when I establish a connection with Ethernet (LAN) to a network (does no matter which ISP), i get an IP and I can surf in the internet. But when I establish an VPN connection
    on that Ethernet Connection, then my DNS will be set to the Ethernet Connection DNS-Server NOT to the VPN-Connection DNS-Server.

In this scenario my VPN-Connection gets a higher Metric as my Ethernet ( Cable bound LAN) connection.

Lan-Connection (Ethernet) Metric 5

VPN-Connection Metric 15

When I establish a WIFI connection to the same Router I can surf in the Internet. Then I establish an VPN-Connection an the DNS-Server will be set to the VPN-Connection configured DNS-Server.

In this scenario my VPN-Connection gets a lower Metric as my Wifi connection.

Wifi-Connection Metric 35

VPN-Connection Metric 25

Both Connections are preferred. So the connection with the better Metric wins.

It's not related to the ISP. He has nothing to do with the "automatic" Metric setting in my Windows 10 Client.

Thomas Voß, Nov 23, 2017
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi supsuop,

Did you create a support ticket with their techs about the issue?

5. Hi,

the cause for the BSOD is definitely somthing with the VPN Client/Software:

Code: 0x1000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (2017-11-24 21:25:05) [Windows 10] CAUSED BY: mrxsmb20.sys * Longhorn SMB 2.0 Redirector (Windows System File) tap0901.sys [2016-04-21] * TAP-Win32 Adapter V9 or ExceptionCode: c0000005 (Access violation) PROCESS: System[/quote]
    As axe wrote u should contact the support team. Updating the software and driver for the vpn setup would be a good idea too.

BSODHunter, Dec 4, 2017
  6. supsuop Win User
    Thank you for your support. I have opened a Thread at the Forum by the producer of the software.

supsuop, Dec 5, 2017
  7. supsuop Win User
    Yesterday I started to use the original OpenVPN client from Downloads and i had the same BSOD again..
    i have uploaded the new dump.file

I do not think that the main problem is the TAP driver.

supsuop, Dec 8, 2017
  8. Ztruker Win User

Latest dump indicates a problem with Avast:
    Code: fffffb0c`967ee7f8 fffff805`60673140Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\aswSP.sys, Win32 error 0n2 *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for aswSP.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for aswSP.sys aswSP+0x63140 fffffb0c`967ee8b8 fffff800`12293079Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\aswMonFlt.sys, Win32 error 0n2 *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for aswMonFlt.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for aswMonFlt.sys aswMonFlt+0x3079[/quote] Suggest uninstalling Avast and running with Windows Defender for now, see if that helps resolve the problem. If so, you can then stay with Defender (what many of us here use) or try a different AV program.

Ztruker, Dec 8, 2017
  9. supsuop Win User
    Suggest uninstalling Avast and running with Windows Defender for now, see if that helps resolve the problem. If so, you can then stay with Defender (what many of us here use) or try a different AV program.[/quote] I will give it a try.
    Can you tell me how you could read this message?
    I use BlueScreenView to look into dmp file. But there ist nothing like "*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp".

supsuop, Dec 9, 2017
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Dec 9, 2017
  11. supsuop Win User
    Hey, i have downloaded windbg preview for windows 10.
    i am able to use "analyze -v" etc.
    but i dont know where you get the informationen that avast was the problem.

I can't open the link that you send me.
    http://192.168.1.2:31080
    this is a privat adresse area. so it's impossible for me to connect to it.

supsuop, Dec 9, 2017
  12. axe0 New Member
  13. Ztruker Win User

My fault, it was a link to a database entry on my Apache server instead of the correct link to this forum, sorry.

Try this: How to Install and Configure WinDBG for BSOD Analysis

As far as learning how to use it, that's a separate issue, never ending really. You need to learn about commands like !thread and dps, !sysinfo, lmvm, etc.
    You also need to take the time to learn to read event viewer logs and msinfo32.nfo data. It's not simple and is very time consuming.

Ztruker, Dec 9, 2017
  14. axe0 New Member
    The various k* commands for different outputs from stacks is also useful to know.

Thema:

1. BSOD after establishing VPN connection - mrxsmb20.sys+bef3 - Similar Threads - BSOD establishing VPN

2. Establishing a VPN connection once I'm in a RDP session

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Establishing a VPN connection once I'm in a RDP session: I'm currently running a virtual machine with Windows 10. A connect to this virtual machine trough Remote Desktop Protocol. Once connected I want to establish a VPN connection to another server, but Windows forbidens me of doing that based on some security policy. If I access...
  3. Establishing a VPN connection once I'm in a RDP session

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Establishing a VPN connection once I'm in a RDP session: I'm currently running a virtual machine with Windows 10. A connect to this virtual machine trough Remote Desktop Protocol. Once connected I want to establish a VPN connection to another server, but Windows forbidens me of doing that based on some security policy. If I access...
  4. Establishing a VPN connection once I'm in a RDP session

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Phone Link disconnects when a VPN connection is established

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phone Link disconnects when a VPN connection is established: Either a recent update from Nord or Microsoft is causing my Phone Link connection to go offline. It has worked fine since I first began using it when I upgraded to Windows 11 until the last few days. I added Phone Link to the apps list for Split Tunneling, but that did not...
  6. Phone Link disconnects when a VPN connection is established

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phone Link disconnects when a VPN connection is established: Either a recent update from Nord or Microsoft is causing my Phone Link connection to go offline. It has worked fine since I first began using it when I upgraded to Windows 11 until the last few days. I added Phone Link to the apps list for Split Tunneling, but that did not...
  7. rdr_file_system mrxsmb20.sys

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    rdr_file_system mrxsmb20.sys: Hi I have blue screen error for 2 domain user which running on windows 10 v 2004 when they try to load the profile sometimes they get the blue screen with error code rdr_file_system mrxsmb20.sys oi research a lot to fine out the reason but couldn't find a solution...
  8. Problems with establishing a VPN connection to the Intranet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problems with establishing a VPN connection to the Intranet: Hey, Short summary of what i am trying to do: To get access to my data on the univerity network i have to connect to the intranet via VPN. I have a servername, my username and password. At first i tried to connect with the recommended (by the uni) client "Aruba Virtual...
  9. Can't establish VPN connection to my office

Can't establish VPN connection to my office: I've upgraded both my laptop and my desktop in my office to Windows 10 Pro (both were coming from Windows 8.1). VPN was working perfect before the upgrade. At current I can't establish a VPN connection to my office. The VPN server (at my office) is listening to port...
  10. VPN: A connection to the remote computer could not be established

VPN: A connection to the remote computer could not be established: After i reseted the whole network, the VPN does not work anymore no matter how i configurated the VPN but it works in Virtual Machine. What i did was input these commands in cmd Code: netsh winsock reset netsh int ip reset ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew ipconfig...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mrxsmb20.sys bsod when connecting to Ethernet