Windows 10: BSOD after installing new video card

Discus and support BSOD after installing new video card in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Today i installed a new video card and upon restart my system went back to IDE from RAID.Ever since it BSOD if under RAID. The BIOS recognizes all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MoreHumanr, Mar 9, 2019.

1. BSOD after installing new video card

Today i installed a new video card and upon restart my system went back to IDE from RAID.Ever since it BSOD if under RAID. The BIOS recognizes all drives(1 250g SSD (OS) non raid, 1 280g velociraptor non raid, 3x 1.5TB HDD RAID5) Currently windows 10 loads under IDE , doesnt recognize my RAID5 though, request to format the drive.

So far i tried to load windows in safe mode in order for it start raid drivers but it doesnt work. I tried to install Intel Rapid Storage drivers too. Im at a lost here and quite rusty (even forgot my OC settings) . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

MoreHumanr, Mar 9, 2019
  2. Fridgeman Win User

Video Card Installation

Wanted to upgrade my old ATI 9000 series video card. Local electronic store suggested an
    ATI Radeon X1600Pro. Installed same could only get vertical color bars on screen. Reinstalled old 9000 and all worked okay. Returned to supplier and replaced with new card,
    exactly same symptoms. I feel it is unlikely that two cards are defective. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Fridgeman

Fridgeman, Mar 9, 2019
  3. popsean Win User
    Newbie, looking for new graphics card.

I am currently having problems with my 4870s noise.
    In my honest opinion, its just too damn loud.

Getting to the point, i am looking for a new video card that is
    • Quiet/silent
    • Decent power
    • around 120 dollars or less.
    • Dual dvi outputs for 2 monitors
    • Easy/Low maintenance
    • Not a puzzle to install
    Im going to buy a new video card very soon, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

popsean, Mar 9, 2019
  4. AbsolutG Win User

BSOD after installing new video card

Video card problems or something else?

I'm at a loss. My PC went crazy a few days ago while playing a game and now, after attempting many, many different things, I'm still unable to use it. My windows installation was destroyed. BSOD galore. You name it. I need help because I'm out of ideas on this one.

First I want to make it clear that I am not an expert in PC repairs, but I do have experience taking them apart and putting them back together again, swapping components, etc. I'm simply not experienced enough as someone who makes a living out of it.

These are my specs:

• Intel Core i7 6700 - 3.4 GHz
    • 8 GB RAM
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte H170-Gaming 3 DDR3
    • Video card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 760
    • 500 GB SSD
    • 3 TB HDD
    • PSU: XFX model XPS-650W-3XS (650W)
    • Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

And here is the sequence of events that led me to this. Hopefully, someone can give me new ideas:

1. I was playing Rise of the Tomb Raider. Unlike many other games of that level running smoothly on my PC, this one was running a bit sluggish. Very unstable FPS. I thought it was the game being badly optimized (I still think so, but that is off-topic). I switch the settings from DirectX 12 to DirectX 11 to see if it helped.
    2. Went back into the game (this setting had to be changed outside the game and then restart it). That's when everything went to hell. I started seeing some weird artifacts on screen for a few moments and then a BSOD. The error mentioned said "video scheduler internal error". Damn.
    3. Waited for windows to restart, switched the setting back to directx 12 (thinking that the blue screen was caused by dx11). Started the game again, and a few seconds in all the video on my screen got scrambled. Black boxes, lines, dots, etc. A mess. And then all frozen. This is when I started to panic. The first thing I thought after seeing this was the video card is fried.
    4. I started windows again, researched the message on that BSOD and performed a chkdsk, as suggested. A restart was required.
    5. After the scan, started Windows again and tried a different game. Fallout 4. A few seconds in, again, disaster: red dots, lines everywhere, complete mess... and another BSOD.
    6. It goes downhill from here. After restarting once again, instead of going back to Windows, I got into the startup repair of Windows, meaning that Windows did not boot correctly. I tried every single option available. Nothing made Windows boot back up. After a few tries, I got into safe mode, where everything seemed OK. I tried restoring to a previous a checkpoint, and nothing.
    7. After giving up on this installation of Windows, decided to reinstall it. Everywhere I looked on the internet, people kept mentioning that Windows may have gotten corrupted so a new installation was the easiest way to fix it.
    8. I cave in and reinstalled. It all seemed fine after the installation. I even got to a point where I was able to reinstall Fallout 4. So I tried again. Same results. Crashes, BSODs (one of them mentioned "irql_not_less_or_equal"), restart. This also killed Windows for me... again.
    9. At some point between all those restarts, startup repairs, etc. The entire video got locked into 800x600 resolution. There was no way to change it and even the BIOS was almost unusable because of the resolution (that's right; even on BIOS it stayed at that size). I had never seen anything like this.
    10. I finally got into Windows again after a second re-installation (this time I completely wiped out the drive to rule out viruses and malware). But still, no way to change from 800x600 resolution.
    11. I tried installing the Nvidia drivers and as soon as the installation started, another BSOD, this time the message mentioned "nvlddmkm.sys", which apparently has something to do with Nvidia drivers.
    12. At this point, I shut down, removed the video card and connected the monitor directly to the motherboard to use the internal graphics chip.
    13. This made it much better, the resolution went back to normal and Windows started up without issues. Of course, this was not the acceptable outcome.
    14. After much more investigating and different attempts to fix this mess, I decided that enough was enough, so I bought a new video card, a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060.
    15. Finally, it arrived yesterday. I connected everything as it should and turned the PC back on. I got video again!! Yay!!! But....
    16. My HDD, for whatever reason was not being recognized by Windows. I found out how to fix that, and as soon as the drive was re-recognized, dots everywhere and complete freeze!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!
    17. Restarted the PC but there was no way to get video back. Not even the Gigabyte logo from the BIOS was showing up. Simply black screen.
    18. I noticed that the light on my Xbox One gamepad came on and pretty much everything seemed fine inside the PC. There was simply no video output whatsoever. Could my new shiny video card have been fried already? Could it be defective?
    19. I tried several things, changing the PSU connectors, switching between using HDMI and DVI, etc.... nothing helped.
    20. I then removed the new video card, reinstalled the old one, and this time I got video again, but once more, 800x600 resolution, locked and as soon as Windows started and tried to installed the Nvidia drivers automatically, BSOD again.... shit!

I should mention that I did manage to get the HDD back. After that last freeze from step 16, went back to Windows and the HDD started showing up again as always.

So, at this point, I have no clue what else to do. Could it be the PSU that is causing all this trouble? It is the oldest component I have on this PC, about 7 years old (older than two of my kids!). Would changing the PSU fix all of this?

Could it simply be bad luck that I got a defective video card yesterday and this would have happened regardless of all the drama before it arrived? Should I RMA the new video card?

What else can I do? Like I said, I'm out of ideas and at this point I need suggestions from the experts.

I hope someone can help me.

Thank you!

AbsolutG, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

BSOD after installing new video card

1. BSOD after installing new video card - Similar Threads - BSOD installing video

2. Multiple BSODs after installing new graphics card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple BSODs after installing new graphics card: Hello,I've upgraded from my GTX 1070 to a RTX 3070 in early March and I'm encountering various BSODs regulary a week ever since. The BSODs occur when watching YouTube videos, running GIMP 2.10.34 and sometimes even in Idle state where no program is active that consumes...
  3. Multiple BSODs after installing new graphics card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple BSODs after installing new graphics card: Hello,I've upgraded from my GTX 1070 to a RTX 3070 in early March and I'm encountering various BSODs regulary a week ever since. The BSODs occur when watching YouTube videos, running GIMP 2.10.34 and sometimes even in Idle state where no program is active that consumes...
  4. Multiple BSODs after installing new graphics card

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. BSOD After Installing New Graphics Card

BSOD After Installing New Graphics Card: Hello,After upgrading from a GTX 1070 to a RTX 3070, I received a BSOD at the desktop and a DMP file was created. It has only happened one time and it was on the first boot up with the 3070.https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqhFwSuY8Ahin31NcPzKnMyWEsiH?e=KCVDJt...
  6. Constant BSOD After Installing New Graphics Card

Constant BSOD After Installing New Graphics Card: I recently upgraded from a GTX 1070 to an RTX 3070. Ever since I got the new card, my PC keeps crashing constantly at random intervals with BSOD. I've included my dumps below. Would appreciate any help. System: CPU Intel Core i7 6700K Motherboard MSI Z170A SLI Plus RAM...
  7. BSOD after installing new graphics card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after installing new graphics card: I was looking for a budget PC that could run games with decent graphics. I ended up purchasing a Dell Optiplex 3020 MT to upgrade for gaming. I have since then put a new power supply and graphics card in it. After installing the graphics card, I could play games for about 10...
  8. Randon BSOD - new video card

Randon BSOD - new video card: Hi everyone, so I bought a new video card (rx 570) and uninstalled the drivers from my last video card (I think I uninstalled, but maybe I missed something) . Before I changed the video cards, I got some BSOD, but it was not usual so I didn't mind. When I changed I got more...
  9. Ram loss after installing new video card

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Ram loss after installing new video card: Hey guys, I just installed my new video card, GT 710, and I noticed that I lost around 100 MB of RAM. Why's is that? Can I somehow get them back? When I was using the integrated graphics I had 3.24 GB available and now I have 3.12 GB. That's not a small amount for me, I...
  10. New Video Card

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    New Video Card: I have been thinking of getting an EVGA 1080 FTW video card. I currently have an Radeon R9 290 card. Would upgrading make that much difference in games like Farcry 4, Call of Duty, Battlefield 1 etc? My system stats are up to date. 77763

Users found this page by searching for:

1. after install a new graphics card it is requiring a boot disk?