Windows 10: BSOD after long freeze - just web browsing

Discus and support BSOD after long freeze - just web browsing in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, Over the last few months my desktop has started experiencing BSODs following a freeze/lock up of around 60 seconds. I've not been doing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Trawler, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Trawler Win User

BSOD after long freeze - just web browsing

Hi all,

Over the last few months my desktop has started experiencing BSODs following a freeze/lock up of around 60 seconds.

I've not been doing anything on my PC other than web browsing with Chrome. It more commonly occurs when a video is playing in Facebook or Twitter. Once I experienced the problem as soon as I tried playing a video in HPC-MC.

Sometimes my PC doesn't BSOD after a freeze. In this case after the machine unfreezes the Realtek HD Audio Manager's Input Device popup appears - even though I haven't changed anything with my audio connection. I tried changing to Realtek's latest driver but that didn't help, so I went back to Gigabyte's driver which is quite old.

I've tried updating drivers. I've performed a clean install of Nvidia drivers after running DDU under safe mode to remove the old drivers.

I've noticed my PC is more sluggish than I remember, especially browsing sites like Facebook or Twitter. Seems my phone is faster!

Thanks in advance for your help.

:)

Trawler, Oct 13, 2017

2. Two systems, both freeze after Fall Creators update

Same to me. I have standard PC from 2014(AMD FX6300, 8GB RAM, nV 750GTX, SSD on SATA3, lot of free space....

Win 10 was stale, I saw BSOD only one times(caused by nVidia fast boot failure in drivers) but after MS Win10 Fall creator update is system stable and fast as WINDOWS 95 !

I don't have a time hunt failures in MS Event logs, create resource monitor snap in......

- MS Edge is not terrible fast. New tab 10 seconds. Redirection/new web after adr. is typed...30-120 seconds+ !

- Unexpectaly freezes. During web browsing(FireFox 57, Edge 41, IE11) on YT, Metacafee, even on MS Technet BSOD after long freeze - just web browsing :D

I let PC freezed, wen to a job and It was still freezed after 10 hours.

- Sometimes PC freezed witnout user action. Desktop and nothing else. I took a shower and system freezed.

- I don't have BSOD, system does not colapse, just freeze 1-5x per day !

Thank you for Fall creators ****.

Daniel Machacek, Oct 13, 2017
  3. Repeated BSODs, etc.

Well, I haven't had any more BSOD issues. Instead, what I'm now dealing with repeatedly is the computer just freezing. I reboot and can't seem to go more than a few minutes of basic activity - web browsing, etc. - before it just becomes unresponsive
    to any mouse or keyboard input. How do I proceed with this?

SMcIntyre6492, Oct 13, 2017
  4. Trawler Win User

I think I may have self-diagnosed after catching up on a few other threads I decided to run some HW monitoring tests. Found my internals and CPU were overheating. Opened up my box and found my CPU heatsink covered in dust. Gave everything a good clean out and now temperatures are at normal.

I'll keep this thread open for a day or two in case it hasn't resolved the issue, but it's likely I'm all good now.

Trawler, Oct 13, 2017
  5. Trawler Win User
    I just got another BSOD. *Sad Computer is far more responsive since I cleaned it out and temps are under control and has been working perfectly up until this crash.

Here's a new dump taken just now after restarting from the latest crash.

Trawler, Oct 14, 2017
  6. Ztruker Win User
    You're runn the Insider 16299.15 build. There are no symbols for it so it's impossible to do any dump debugging.

The 10/14 dump does indicate a problem with nvlddmkm.sys.
    Code: BugCheck 133, {1, 1e00, fffff803b1a91370, 0} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys[/quote] You have the latest Nvidia driver version 387.92. All I can suggest it to completely uninstall it then reinstall just the driver and see if that helps.

Remove and install latest Nvidia drivers:

I suggest completely uninstalling the Nvidia display drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from WagnardMobile (near bottom of page) then get the latest driver for you Nvidia card here: NVIDIA Driver Downloads

Then do a custom install of only the NVidia graphics driver and the PhysX driver.

See if that gets rid of the problem. If not you could try down leveling the Nvidia driver.

Ztruker, Oct 15, 2017
  7. Trawler Win User
    Thanks Zstruker,

I've used DDU and reverted to 382.33 and hopefully have blocked off the nvidia driver from auto updating. Will see how that goes. May also try to get off the Insider program.

Trawler, Oct 15, 2017
  8. zbook New Member

Run the beta the log collector and post a zip into this thread:
    Windows 10 Help Forums
    (extract > open)
    In case there are any problems running the beta log collector please use the text and images in this thread: (post #5)
    DM Log tool problem Solved - Windows 10 Forums

There was a post from Ztrucker 5 days ago so he may be out of town.
    The BSOD mini dump files display a recurrent misbehaving hardware drivers: nvlddmkm.sys
    These are the Nvidia GPU drivers.
    The current misbehaving version is:
    Code: Driver c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_c1a085cc86772d3f\nvlddmkm.sys (23.21.13.9135, 16.73 MB (17,544,792 bytes), 22/04/2018 9:02 PM)[/quote] Code: nvlddmkm.sys Fri Mar 23 18:02:22 2018 (5AB5877E)[/quote]

Perform the following steps:
    1) Turn off Windows updates of non-Microsoft drivers
    Enable or Disable Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials
    2) Turn off Windows fast startup:
    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials
    3) Rollback the Nvidia driver.
    4) Uninstall the Nvidia GPU driver using DDU (display driver uninstaller)
    5) Re-install the Nvidia GPU driver from the Nvidia website
    6) Make sure that you check the clean install box and if available install the physx driver.
    Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 17.0.8.2 (or a newer version if available)
    Display Driver Uninstaller: How to use - Windows 7 Help Forums
    NVIDIA
    Download Display Driver Uninstaller - MajorGeeks

7) Make sure that you do not use these Nvidia GPU driver versions as they were causes of BSOD:
    Code: Driver c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_c1a085cc86772d3f\nvlddmkm.sys (23.21.13.9135, 16.73 MB (17,544,792 bytes), 22/04/2018 9:02 PM)[/quote] Code: Driver c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_048172e9d7cc483d\nvlddmkm.sys (23.21.13.9101, 16.71 MB (17,524,720 bytes), 5/03/2018 10:10 PM)[/quote] Code: Driver c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\nv_ref_pubwu.inf_amd64_550b7651cb875f2d\nvlddmkm.sys (23.21.13.8792, 16.14 MB (16,923,704 bytes), 9/10/2017 8:59 PM)[/quote] 8) Find a friend, neighbor, relative, or local store to swap the Nvidia GPU card
    Perform two tests:
    a) Test the problematic card in another computer
    b) Test a card from another computer in the problematic computer

zbook, Apr 5, 2018
  9. Trawler Win User
    Hi everyone,
    Reviving this old thread as I'm still having BSOD issues. I've recently opted out of the Insiders channels so no longer seeing the GSOD - perhaps it will be easier to diagnose? I've uploaded my latest diagnostic dump now that I'm off an Insiders build.
    The crash only ever happens after a cold boot. When I first turn on my PC after about 30 mins of use (usually just web browsing) the system will start to stutter (if video or music playing, the sound stutters badly) before locking up. A minute or two later I'll see the BSOD. After a restart, everything works fine for as long as I keep the PC or on Restart.

Trawler, Apr 20, 2018
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Both dumps show a lot of activity with your Nvidia card right at the time of failure.
    One has this:
    Code: BugCheck 133, {1, 1e00, fffff8004b479378, 0} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys[/quote] The other has this:
    Code: BugCheck 133, {1, 1e00, fffff8038126f378, 0} *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys Probably caused by : dxgkrnl.sys ( dxgkrnl!NtTokenManagerCreateCompositionTokenHandle+243c )[/quote] dxgkrnl.sys is also video related so ties into your Nvidia card/driver.

When you reverted to 382.33, did that make any difference?

There is a new version available:

Version: 391.35 WHQL Release Date: 2018.3.27 Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit Language: English (US) File Size: 445.39 MB
    You could give that a try using DDU first.

Ztruker, Apr 21, 2018
  11. Trawler Win User
    Thanks for the help Ztruker.

I reverted to 382.33 some time back but that didn't solve the problem. I've been waiting to get off the Insiders ring before trying to get it fixed.

Anyway I did as you suggested, removed current drivers with DDU in safe mode and installed latest.

Having had the machine off for a few days I just got a BSOD about an hour after turning it on, uploaded latest crash dump.

Real odd that it only happens after a cold boot. I guess I could try a Win10 reinstall? Otherwise perhaps it's a hardware fault?

Trawler, Apr 24, 2018
  12. cwsink Win User
    The system uptime suggests to me it's more likely coming out of deep sleep rather than a cold boot:
    Code: Windows 10 Kernel Version 17133 MP (4 procs) Free x64 Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS Built by: 17133.1.amd64fre.rs4_release.180323-1312 Machine Name: Kernel base = 0xfffff800`4b01c000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`4b3d92f0 Debug session time: Thu Apr 19 20:57:18.568 2018 (UTC - 7:00) System Uptime: 0 days 20:28:35.906[/quote] Windows computers (by default) go into a deep sleep akin to hibernation when told to shutdown through the Start menu or physical power button. This has been the case since Windows 8.x. I've seen quite a few motherboards have issues with it but I've also seen many start working properly after updating the BIOS. The BIOS you're currently running:
    Code: 0: kd> !sysinfo machineid Machine ID Information [From Smbios 2.7, DMIVersion 0, Size=3050] BiosMajorRelease = 4 BiosMinorRelease = 6 BiosVendor = American Megatrends Inc. BiosVersion = F3 BiosReleaseDate = 04/17/2013 SystemManufacturer = Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. SystemProductName = Z87X-UD3H[/quote] looks a bit out of date if this is the correct support page for your motherboard. I'd recommend updating to the latest if it is.

cwsink, Apr 24, 2018
  13. Trawler Win User

looks a bit out of date if this is the correct support page for your motherboard. I'd recommend updating to the latest if it is.[/quote] Great point that and thanks for spotting the old bios revision. I just flashed to the latest non-beta version (F9 2014/03/19) and will report back later.

Trawler, Apr 25, 2018
  14. Trawler Win User
    Thanks for the tip Twink about updating my BIOS. Things seemed to have been running without a hitch until earlier this morning when my PC briefly locked up a couple of times. Then a few minutes ago I noticed by PC had rebooted whilst I was away, another BSOD recovery. Have attached the latest dump files.

Trawler, Apr 26, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD after long freeze - just web browsing - Similar Threads - BSOD long freeze

2. Got the BSoD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL while browsing webs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Got the BSoD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL while browsing webs: Just browsing web and listening to music, then BSOD.It happens randomly, maybe hours a time or days a time.I reinstalled a fresh new Windows 11, but the problem is not solved.Here is the minidump file.https://ufile.io/u5abwy3v...
  3. BSOD while browsing the web...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD while browsing the web...: Hi, my pc crashed suddenly, and i got a minidump file to analyze. Hope someone can help me out.Thank youminidump file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12X38r4Odx8VlDAbWZANotkYJZbI1uW-_/view?usp=sharing...
  4. web browsing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    web browsing: hi I'm trying to access a page on explorer and soon as i sign in it says ive been redirected and it wont load it does on my phone but not on here since i updated to the new 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/web-browsing/714c760a-6b40-4be6-8475-29077043dce3
  5. Web browsing

Web browsing: Some websites dont work on my computer at various times, Quick assist keeps trying to load, and I cant log out of my old account or add a new one. There are certain websites that I can browse no problem, but I cannot log onto my school sites or google account. When I diagnose...
  6. web Browsing

in Windows 10 Customization
    web Browsing: i am unable to open google chrome i my pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/web-browsing/00d1eb13-f76b-480c-98f5-70de13094678
  7. BSOD during web browsing in Chrome

BSOD during web browsing in Chrome: I just upgraded my platform (config below) about week ago, all listed components were new. After a couple of days I started to receive BSOD's (dump files attached). Till now I encountered them only during watching an online stream on twitch or a youtube video and web...
  8. BSOD - playing, web browsing

BSOD - playing, web browsing: Hello, i have problem with this: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED nvlddmkm.sys It mostly happens while playing Gta5 its like 100% it will happen one time got this while watching youtube videos, i showing up 1 time a day after that i can play and watch videos all the time...
  9. BSOD while browsing the web

BSOD while browsing the web: Recently I keep on getting the BSOD while I am on google. Doesn't matter what site I go onto it just happens but not all the time. I've tried updating drivers and BIOS but still keep getting the problem. Also sometimes when I restart or Shut Down my PC it freezes on the blue...
  10. BSOD/hard freezes during streaming videos, gaming, web browsing, etc.

BSOD/hard freezes during streaming videos, gaming, web browsing, etc.: A friend of mine gifted me with a plethora of new hardware, to the point where I had to buy a new mobo. Did a fresh install of Win10 in the hopes to not run into driver issues and it was solid for about a week. Recently, however crashes have been happening with some...