Windows 10: BSOD after the NVIDIA GPU is activated

Discus and support BSOD after the NVIDIA GPU is activated in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For the past month i've been struggling with an issue on my laptop, related to its GPU. Whenever my NVIDIA GPU and the Intel GPU are activated, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Luís AserPortela, Jan 18, 2019.

1. BSOD after the NVIDIA GPU is activated

For the past month i've been struggling with an issue on my laptop, related to its GPU.

Whenever my NVIDIA GPU and the Intel GPU are activated, and the NVIDIA GPU isn't under stress for about 5 minutes, (by "under stress" I mean using programs that require detailed graphics and a lot of graphical processing) the BSOD will appear showing the message error "NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE".

Somehow I've tackled the issue of the BSOD by deactivating the NVIDIA GPU and solely use the Intel GPU, whenever I feel the NVIDIA GPU isn't required for my actions.

Even so, it is annoying to have to activate/deactivate the NVIDIA everytime i need it.

I have already used programs such as WhoCrashed and BlueScreeView to understand better the causes of these crashes. Those programs say that the leading cause of the BSOD are the files "hal.dll", "ntoskrnl.exe" and "PSHED.dll".

I would like to know if there is a way to correct these errors and how should I proceed to correct them.

My laptop specs are:

Acer Aspire 7 A715-72G-79XK

CPU: Intel i7-8750H

GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050

RAM: 16GB

:)

Luís AserPortela, Jan 18, 2019
  2. kenalbus Win User

Windows 10 CPU usage 100% when Nvidia GPU enabled

I've had the same problem, and have exactly the same GPU model. I was able to set the drivers back to factory default, but any update I've tried (including the most recent) causes the massive cpu usage. I've contacted tech support for both Nvidia and Asus,
    and followed all the steps they suggested, with no luck.

kenalbus, Jan 18, 2019
  3. Problems with NVIDIA GEFORCE GPU and DirectX

Well I'm logged into a Microsoft account if that's what you're asking. Prior to the issue the only things I did that could be considered change were installing DirectX 11 and changing which GPU the games would use via NVIDIA Control Panel.

No, it isn't specific to any game. Any game that uses a GPU will not launch.

Chief Teef, Jan 18, 2019
  4. Zeond1987 Win User

BSOD after the NVIDIA GPU is activated

Is there a way to force a program to use a secondary GPU?

I have 2 GPU's (Nvidia GTX 970 and 1080) and I want to force a program to use the 1080 for certain programs/games. Going to Settings>System>Display>Graphics Settings should give me the option to switch GPU's. Unfortunately it does not list both of my GPU's
    nor does it allow me to change to another one, only the default GPU is chosen (the 970). This is a desktop computer and I have tried the Nvidia control panel and UEFI settings without much luck. If I tried selecting a program to run on my 1080 (through the
    Nvidia control panel), it would still run it on the 970. I have tried switching the GPU's around with not much luck there either. If I can suggest to Microsoft the option in the Graphics Settings to list both GPU's for selection, that would be great. Otherwise
    I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you for your time.

Zeond1987, Jan 18, 2019
Thema:

BSOD after the NVIDIA GPU is activated

1. BSOD after the NVIDIA GPU is activated - Similar Threads - BSOD NVIDIA GPU

2. Windows 10 Nvidia Quadro M1000M GPU not working after installing external GPU NVidia...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Nvidia Quadro M1000M GPU not working after installing external GPU NVidia...: I have a Lenovo P50 laptop with an internal Quadro m1000m GPU. I installed recently an external NVidia GeForce RTX 3060 GPU thunderbolt attached, and the internal Quadro m1000m GPU gets a Code 31 in device manager. The NVidia GeForce RTX 3060 GPU driver does not list Quadro...
  3. Windows 10 Nvidia Quadro M1000M GPU not working after installing external GPU NVidia...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Nvidia Quadro M1000M GPU not working after installing external GPU NVidia...: I have a Lenovo P50 laptop with an internal Quadro m1000m GPU. I installed recently an external NVidia GeForce RTX 3060 GPU thunderbolt attached, and the internal Quadro m1000m GPU gets a Code 31 in device manager. The NVidia GeForce RTX 3060 GPU driver does not list Quadro...
  4. Pc BSOD and issues with Nvidia gpu drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc BSOD and issues with Nvidia gpu drivers: My pc had issues after a BIOS update, where the GPU no longer outputs to display and Nvidia drivers fail to install or do install and bsod the pc. Even when they do install the gpu outputs still fail to work. I've tried using DDU to remove the Nvidia drivers and download...
  5. Pc BSOD and issues with Nvidia gpu drivers

Pc BSOD and issues with Nvidia gpu drivers: My pc had issues after a BIOS update, where the GPU no longer outputs to display and Nvidia drivers fail to install or do install and bsod the pc. Even when they do install the gpu outputs still fail to work. I've tried using DDU to remove the Nvidia drivers and download...
  6. Pc BSOD and issues with Nvidia gpu drivers

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR after the NVIDIA GPU is activated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR after the NVIDIA GPU is activated: For the past month i've been struggling with an issue on my laptop, related to its GPU.Whenever my NVIDIA GPU is activated mostly while playing games it gives me a bsod telling VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR . I updated the driver , but still the problem persist. I stress tested...
  8. VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR after the NVIDIA GPU is activated

VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR after the NVIDIA GPU is activated: For the past month i've been struggling with an issue on my laptop, related to its GPU.Whenever my NVIDIA GPU is activated mostly while playing games it gives me a bsod telling VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR . I updated the driver , but still the problem persist. I stress tested...
  9. windows keeping nvidia gpu active after removing ac

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows keeping nvidia gpu active after removing ac: Ive been having this problem for ages and just cant solve it. My laptop has a GTX1650. On battery windows uses the integrated graphics and on AC it defaults to the discrete graphics. However, if its running on AC and gets unplugged certain windows programs like cortana,...
  10. LAPTOP BSOD after updating nvidia gpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    LAPTOP BSOD after updating nvidia gpu: Ive been trying to use my nvidia gtx 1050 other than my intel uhd 630 so i can game, but if i do update it whichever way itll crash and say tdr failure or other bsod codes, and it has to do with the file nvlddmkm.sys file, i did get this from the event viewer maybe you can...