Windows 10: BSOD after updating bios. could not boot anymore or enter recovery environment

Discus and support BSOD after updating bios. could not boot anymore or enter recovery environment in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I now totally regret the decision of updating bios, following the suggestion of Lenovo Vantage. Since May the update of Windows 10 has significantly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by UTM18N, Oct 14, 2020.

1. UTM18N Win User

BSOD after updating bios. could not boot anymore or enter recovery environment

I now totally regret the decision of updating bios, following the suggestion of Lenovo Vantage. Since May the update of Windows 10 has significantly slowed down my slightly over 1 year old IdeaPad 730S. I thought the update of BIOS is likely the fix.

Well, I've entered the forever loop of BSOD with all kinds of error, when the update needed to restart. I tried to enter the Recovery Environment or even recover from a bootable USB with Window Installation Media, no success but continuing BSOD as well.

When the automatic repairing suggested the ESC, F1, F8 options, only ESC to the bios worked. All other lead to the same BSOD:

Trying the automatic repairing when restarting, the BSOD shows:

Recovery
    Your PC/Device needs to be repaired.
    The operating system couldn't be loaded because the system registry file is missing or contains errors.
    File:\ WINDOWS\system32\config\system

Error code: 0xc0000017

The odd thing is that even with the installation media on USB, I still could not enter the recovery environment but the same BSOD.

I'd greatly appreciate if I can find a way to go back to the stage before the bios update, as I could not get into Windows at all. Or I can somehow fix those missing files through bootable USB?

Thanks!

:)

UTM18N, Oct 14, 2020

2. BSOD Recovery Media Fails

Hi,

This issue might have occurred when the boot files are missing or corrupted.

I suggest you re-built the boot record by following the below commands and check if it helps.

You will have to use Windows 10 installation media to follow the steps to boot into Recovery Environment and try to rebuild BCD.

Step 1: I suggest you to create an installation media for
    Windows 10 using the media creation tool:

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

Step 2: After preparing the installation media, insert it hard reboot the device and follow the below:

• Boot into Windows Recovery Environment using the Windows 10 installation media.
    • Click on Repair your computer.
    • Click on Troubleshoot and in the Advanced options.
    • Select Command Prompt. Type the following commands into the prompt and press Enter key after each command.
      • bootrec /fixmbr
      • bootrec /fixboot
      • bootrec /scanos
      • bootrec /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the computer.

NOTE: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft
    cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Anup Karkal, Oct 14, 2020
  3. Windows 10 hangs and turns off on Windows icon splash page and unable to boot to Recovery Environment

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with booting the operating system. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

As you are unable to boot the device using ISO file, this issue might have occurred when the boot files are missing or corrupted.

Do let us know if you were able to see any error code/ error message with this issue?

I suggest you re-built the boot record by following the below commands and check if it helps.

You will have to use Windows 10 installation media to follow the steps to boot into Recovery Environment and try to rebuild BCD.

As you have already created a media creation tool you may skip
    Step 1 and try the below.

Step 1: I suggest you to create an installation media for
    Windows 10 using the media creation tool:

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

Step 2: After preparing the installation media, insert it hard reboot the device and follow the below:

• Boot into Windows Recovery Environment using the Windows 10 installation media.
    • Click on Repair your computer.
    • Click on Troubleshoot and in the Advanced options.
    • Select Command Prompt. Type the following commands into the prompt and press Enter key after each command.

• bootrec /fixmbr

• bootrec /fixboot

• bootrec /scanos

• bootrec /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the computer.

NOTE: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting
    from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 14, 2020
  4. BSOD after updating bios. could not boot anymore or enter recovery environment

Windows Recovery Environment

Hi

How do you boot using a USB drive and enter the Windows Recovery Environment? I was told that there could be an error in my "partition" and maybe be necessary to do "REPAIR THIS COMPUTER" option.

Im running windows 10 1607 home 14393.2068. My bootable USB drive has w10 1709 version. would that work?

Can anyone give step by step instructions?

1. if I manage to get into WRE, can I exit? and boot normally afterwards?

beerus_king, Oct 14, 2020
Thema:

BSOD after updating bios. could not boot anymore or enter recovery environment

1. BSOD after updating bios. could not boot anymore or enter recovery environment - Similar Threads - BSOD updating bios

2. could not find the recovery environment

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    could not find the recovery environment: exact error im getting ^I've done everything a previous forum post had done and nothing has worked https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-reset-windows-10-could-not-find-recovery/58cc7a57-ec3d-432b-b3a8-619b73805f1a said forum post and i have a 64gb brand...
  3. could not find the recovery environment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    could not find the recovery environment: exact error im getting ^I've done everything a previous forum post had done and nothing has worked https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-reset-windows-10-could-not-find-recovery/58cc7a57-ec3d-432b-b3a8-619b73805f1a said forum post and i have a 64gb brand...
  4. could not find the recovery environment

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Could not find the recovery environment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Could not find the recovery environment: Could not find the recovery environment corporate application IT doesn't know what to do please provide instruction https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/could-not-find-the-recovery-environment/4ef99641-7954-4910-862d-f2e225083209
  6. Could not find the recovery environment

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Could not find the recovery environment: Could not find the recovery environment corporate application IT doesn't know what to do please provide instruction https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/could-not-find-the-recovery-environment/4ef99641-7954-4910-862d-f2e225083209
  7. Could not find the recovery environment

Could not find the recovery environment: Hi, I've been wanting to reset my laptop for a while now and the other day I tried to do it, but when I clicked reset this PC Windows said that it could not find the recovery environment. I tried to enable it but that didn't work and when I go to System32/Recovery/ only...
  8. Computer wont boot after attempting to enter recovery environment

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer wont boot after attempting to enter recovery environment: I think windows applied an update when I last shut down my pc, and when I turned it on this evening I got the message "undoing changes made to your computer" which was there for > 30 mins. After reading around the forums I tried to put my pc into the recovery environment by...
  9. Could not find the recovery environment

Could not find the recovery environment: I can't reset my computer - it says "Could not find the recovery environment" even though it was always there and still is. Any suggestions would be appreciated....
  10. "Could not find the recovery environment."

"Could not find the recovery environment.": I'm trying to reset my pc and it keeps giving me this message. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/could-not-find-the-recovery-environment/7fb25aa2-515e-4e2c-a144-ae79645eba9d