Windows 10: BSOD and Inability to reboot to safe mode

Discus and support BSOD and Inability to reboot to safe mode in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Dell Latitude Laptop running Windows 10 1809 64 bit - Went to shut down laptop last night 12 May around 11:30 UT and immediately went to a BSOD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SteveKerr2, May 13, 2020.

1. BSOD and Inability to reboot to safe mode

• Dell Latitude Laptop running Windows 10 1809 64 bit -
    • Went to shut down laptop last night 12 May around 11:30 UT and immediately went to a BSOD KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR and tried to restart.
    • Ended up in the Windows Recovery Environment suggesting a restart. Selecting restart just put me back in the Recovery Environment again - endless loop
    • Full power down and restart is the same.
    • In the Recovery Environment, selecting "Uninstall latest quality update" works but makes no difference.
    • "Uninstall latest feature update" fails. Can someone explain the difference between Quality and Feature updates?
    • "Reset my PC" with "Keep my files" fails.
    • Selecting the "Startup Settings' option and prompting a restart to access Safe Mode allows me to select a Safe Mode restart but then it retriggers the BSOD same one and dumps me back in the Recovery Environment ... I can't get to Safe Mode.
    • Basically, I am locked out of the machine.

I am suspicious that this may be related to the KB4551853 update don't know the exact time of release and that the BSOD has happened when you would normally get the "Update and Shutdown" banner. A complete rebuild with the loss of all my files is not the absolute end of the world but would make me REALLY unhappy. Any help to avoid that would be appreciated.

:)

SteveKerr2, May 13, 2020
  2. Xylee Del Win User

Stuck in safe mode in windows 10

Safe mode is intended to help fix most, if not all problems within an operating system, it's not good if we got stuck on it. To correct this, we suggest that you follow the steps below to exit out of Safe mode:

• Open Run command by pressing Windows key + R
      keys on the keyboard and type msconfig in the command box and press
      Enter.
    • Under General tab, put a check on Normal Startup option.
    • Reboot the system and check if the changes are effective.

Let us know if you are able to exit out of Safe mode with these steps.

Xylee Del, May 13, 2020
  3. Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

Have you tried all the above steps suggested by Sangeeta Sarkar on September 13, 2015.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you trying to login the Microsoft account or the Local account in safe mode?
    • Did you try with only safe mode or safe mode with networking?
    • What is the critical error you are getting?

If you are using Windows 10. To go to safe mode you have to follow the below steps.

If you are able to go to login screen in normal mode try the below steps to go to safe mode with networking.

• At the login screen click on the power symbol.

• Hold SHIFT + Click Restart.

• After restarting your system, select the Troubleshoot option.

• Select advanced options under
      Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Startup Settings.

• Click Restart and follow the onscreen steps to go to
      Safe Mode with networking and check if you are able to login.

[*]
    Please get back with more information, we will be glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, May 13, 2020
  4. BSOD and Inability to reboot to safe mode

Stuck in safe mode

Hi,

There are several methods available on how you can get your computer booted in safe mode and also booted back to normal mode. Some steps include changing the startup settings or manually pressing a key. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• What steps did you take to get your device in safe mode?
    • Have you attempted to reboot your device?
    • What was the reason that you needed to boot your device into safe mode?

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, May 13, 2020
Thema:

BSOD and Inability to reboot to safe mode

1. BSOD and Inability to reboot to safe mode - Similar Threads - BSOD Inability reboot

2. Bsod and safe mode issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bsod and safe mode issue: I am no longer able to boot normally due to BSOD showing System_Service_Exception. I have read this is a driver issue so I have booted into safe mode with networking. However there is no internet access even in this mode. I have run multiple sfc with admin command prompt. It...
  3. BSOD + Blue Safe Mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD + Blue Safe Mode: I have been having problems with my computer for the last few months, but only recently had enough time to try and fix it.So far, I have had the following messages on my BSODs:-Memory Management-Kernel Security Check Failure-Store ? Data Structure Corruption-IRQ Not Less Or...
  4. Problem rebooting even in safe mode.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem rebooting even in safe mode.: I'm having problems booting up , my computer just came up with a message that the program wasn't working and asked if it should shut down so I said yes and from that point it wouldn't boot up ,I kept trying and eventually it did so I was looking into what the problem was and...
  5. Problem rebooting even in safe mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem rebooting even in safe mode.: I'm having problems booting up , my computer just came up with a message that the program wasn't working and asked if it should shut down so I said yes and from that point it wouldn't boot up ,I kept trying and eventually it did so I was looking into what the problem was and...
  6. Problem rebooting even in safe mode.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Safe Mode as a remedy for BSOD ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Safe Mode as a remedy for BSOD ?: On half a dozen occasions when my PC booted to a BSOD, if I was given the chance to boot to Safe Mode, the fault would autocorrect. I'd like a better understanding of what might have happened. Can anyone explain ?...
  8. BSOD but ok in safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD but ok in safe mode: why dose my pc crash to bsod with no error code but in safe mode its ok https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bsod-but-ok-in-safe-mode/959f6313-9d8e-4578-b45e-2b281a664991
  9. Cannot reboot to get to safe mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot reboot to get to safe mode: Need to reboot to open safe mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_menu/cannot-reboot-to-get-to-safe-mode/daf5089b-968f-4cbd-94ea-75a03076d82f
  10. Safe Mode Reboot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Safe Mode Reboot: Hi Jim here from Elliot Lake Ontario.... 6 hr north of Toronto and 2 hours east of the Soo, Mich Been retired here in the north for 20 years after a career with Bell Canada... in a variety of installation/repair/central office then sales marketing and consulting to outside...