Windows 10: BSOD and reboot every 24 hours and 16 minutes

Discus and support BSOD and reboot every 24 hours and 16 minutes in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; A few months ago my desktop began rebooting on its own. I cannot relate the start of the problem to any hardware or software change. After monitoring... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Rcraigwmpt, Nov 30, 2016.

1. BSOD and reboot every 24 hours and 16 minutes

A few months ago my desktop began rebooting on its own. I cannot relate the start of the problem to any hardware or software change. After monitoring the reboots in the Event Viewer, it struck me that they seemed to occur on a fairly standard frequency. If I do not manually reboot my system, the reboots occur every 24 hours and 16 minutes (plus or minus maybe 10 seconds). If I do manually reboot my system, the reboot frequency is disturbed for that day, only to resume the next day and resume the 24 hour and 16 minute frequency. It appears as if the manual reboot resets the clock for the reboots and they resume at a different time of day.

I have observed the reboots on a few occasions and they are proceeded by the BSOD. The message is "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you." The stopcode shows as "DPC Watchdog Violation".

A description in the Reliabilty Monitor of last night's reboot event shows:
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000133 (0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000501, 0x0000000000000500, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\Minidump\113016-18859-01.dmp. Report Id: 34b4d85f-b1fb-4969-9a40-2a9d8d61e14c.

I have removed Norton and run with Windows Defender for awhile, but it had no impact on the problem. Norton has since been reinstalled.

I see no flags in the Device Manager.

My display driver has been updated to the latest version from the Nvidia site.

Any help to get this fixed would be much appreciated.

:)

Rcraigwmpt, Nov 30, 2016
  2. RCraigWmpt, Nov 30, 2016
  3. Daily Reboots Windows 10

I haven't tried a preemptive shutdown yet. My guess is that it would reset the starting point for the reboots. It appears that If I let the desktop run, the shutdowns occur every 24 hours and 16 minutes (plus or minus about 10 seconds). If I manually
    reboot, the 24 hour 16 minute frequency is disturbed, only to resume the next day from a new starting time. (In other words, the reboots had been occurring in the evening before the manual reboot, but after, they were occurring in the late afternoon.) As
    evidence of this, my computer rebooted on its own every 24 hours and 16 minutes for the period of Nov. 18 - 24. On Nov. 25th, I manually rebooted and ran Chkdsk. There were no other reboots that occurred on Nov. 25th. On Nov. 26th, approximately 28 hours
    and 50 minutes after the manual reboot of the 25th, the reboots resumed and have continued every 24 hours and 16 minutes since.

To answer XP ROCKS question, my default browser is Google Chrome. Microsoft Edge does kick up when triggered by certain applications, but I don't normally use it.

I have one totally unsubstantiated theory about what is happening. I keep getting caught up on the odd frequency (instead of an even 24 hours, why is it 24 hours and 16 minutes?). Might there be some process that starts 24 hours after the last reboot,
    fails to execute properly, and then the computer finally gives up on it running after 16 minutes? And if this is the case, is there some way that I can determine what that process is?

RCraigWmpt, Nov 30, 2016
  4. lifetec Win User

BSOD and reboot every 24 hours and 16 minutes

lifetec, Nov 30, 2016
  5. But I had the problem even after using the Norton Removal Tool. After having removed Norton and started running with Windows Defender, the reboots continued daily for the next 7 days until I interrupted them with a manual reboot. I then reinstalled Norton. Besides removing it again, is there some way that I can prove that Norton is causing the problem?

Rcraigwmpt, Nov 30, 2016
  6. I just saw on another forum a suggestion to turn on silent mode in Norton and keep resetting it every 24 hours. I will try this to see if my computer avoids the reboot that will likely occur next around 7:13 tonight.

Rcraigwmpt, Nov 30, 2016
  7. lifetec Win User
    I expect that your build is good , you have a higher build(14393) (14393.rs1_release_inmarket.161102-0100)

But you need to installl/update KB3158988 (through windows update), that should fixed this problem, according to that forum post.
    It could be that this KB now is part of a cumulative update.
    Do you have all the windows updates installed.

Is your version of Norton update to date and all the patches from Norton installed.

lifetec, Nov 30, 2016
  8. BSOD and reboot every 24 hours and 16 minutes

I looked at Windows Update, and a check concludes that my system is up to date. However, in checking the update history to find out if KB3158988 had been installed yet, it shows "No updates have been installed yet". Very peculiar. Might you suggest some other way that I can guarantee that KB3158988 is installed?

Regarding the Norton version, it is 22.8.1.14.

Thanks for your help.

Rcraigwmpt, Nov 30, 2016
  9. Regarding the update of Norton, I just ran LiveUpdate, and it did install some sort of patch. I couldn't find anywhere where the patch was defined.

Rcraigwmpt, Nov 30, 2016
  10. I just checked Control Panel / Programs and Features / Installed Updates. It shows(7) Windows updates dating back to 9/25/16, with the oldest update being KB3176935. I can't see if KB3158988 has been installed.

Rcraigwmpt, Nov 30, 2016
  11. lifetec Win User
    When did this problem started was this before the Anniversary Edition upgrade of your system.

You would expect that this certain KB would now be included in the anniversary edition and the problem be fixed.

lifetec, Nov 30, 2016
  12. I don't know exactly when the Anniversary Edition was rolled out (I'm assuming in August), but my best guess would be that my computer was running fine before the Anniversary Edition, and the Anniversary Edition may have been the trigger for the problem. I don't know exactly when my problem began, but it's been on-going for the last couple of months.

Rcraigwmpt, Nov 30, 2016
  13. BSOD and reboot every 24 hours and 16 minutes

I will run the SFC and report back.

Rcraigwmpt, Nov 30, 2016
  14. I ran the SFC three time in Windows 10. No problems found.

Rcraigwmpt, Dec 1, 2016
  15. Can someone explain to me the following text that showed up in the dumpfile? My guess is that some process is starting 24 hours after the last reboot and then aborting 16 minutes later, creating my reboot frequency of 24 hours and 16 minutes.

A single DPC or ISR exceeded its time allotment. The offending
    component can usually be identified with a stack trace.

Rcraigwmpt, Dec 5, 2016
Thema:

BSOD and reboot every 24 hours and 16 minutes

1. BSOD and reboot every 24 hours and 16 minutes - Similar Threads - BSOD reboot every

2. BSOD every 30 minutes to an hour

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD every 30 minutes to an hour: Hi! for the past 24 hours, my laptop Lenovo Ideapad S145 with Ryzen 5 and 12GB of RAM, Windows 11 Home has been getting the BSOD, although it usually just freezes with some artifacts on the screen for a split second. This happen every 45 minutes or so, and the laptop will...
  3. BSOD every 30 minutes to an hour

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD every 30 minutes to an hour: Hi! for the past 24 hours, my laptop Lenovo Ideapad S145 with Ryzen 5 and 12GB of RAM, Windows 11 Home has been getting the BSOD, although it usually just freezes with some artifacts on the screen for a split second. This happen every 45 minutes or so, and the laptop will...
  4. Random BSOD every 12-24 Hours, Tried Everything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random BSOD every 12-24 Hours, Tried Everything: I have tried many things already, from CMD commands, driver checkers, and pretty much everything you can do up to this point. All my drives and drivers are healthy / updated and even with research I can't seem to find a fix. I completely fresh installed windows and the issue...
  5. Random BSOD every 12-24 Hours, Tried Everything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random BSOD every 12-24 Hours, Tried Everything: I have tried many things already, from CMD commands, driver checkers, and pretty much everything you can do up to this point. All my drives and drivers are healthy / updated and even with research I can't seem to find a fix. I completely fresh installed windows and the issue...
  6. Need to reactivate windows every 24 hours

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Need to reactivate windows every 24 hours: I have tried 8 times to contact customer support. 8 times I get disconnected. Furthermore, they don't seem to understand, no matter how many times or ways I explain it, the problem. It is a very simple problem. Every 24 hours I get the message on desktop to activate...
  7. 10 BSOD in 24 hours

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    10 BSOD in 24 hours: Windows version 1909, HP Spectre x360 Alright, so I should preface this by saying I know next to nothing about the internal workings of a computer. It took me over an hour to set up windbg, including having to figure out why the tutorial commands weren't working (TIL:...
  8. 10 BSOD in 24 hours

in Windows 10 Support
    10 BSOD in 24 hours: Windows version 1909, HP Spectre x360 Alright, so I should preface this by saying I know next to nothing about the internal workings of a computer. It took me over an hour to set up windbg, including having to figure out why the tutorial commands weren't working (TIL:...
  9. Two BSODS in 24 Hours

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Two BSODS in 24 Hours: Hello everyone. So recently I got 2 Bsods in 24 Hours. It's really weird since I don't get that very often. The first bsod I got was when I was randomly surfing through the Internet The second when I just started up Windows The build is Windows 10 1909 18363.535...
  10. Internet losing connection every 24 hours

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet losing connection every 24 hours: Hello so I have an Ethernet cable connected to my pc and every 24 hours I lose internet connection and there is a tiny yellow triangle. I go into cmd every time and type "netsh winsock reset catalog" and reset my computer. Im fine with the internet for 24 hours and this...