Windows 10: BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY error in Windows 10

Discus and support BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY error in Windows 10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi Guys I've been banging my heag against a wall here. So have this strange issue that started a few days ago. Where random computers in our... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AndrewStephens5, Apr 9, 2021.

1. BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY error in Windows 10

Hi Guys

I've been banging my heag against a wall here.

So have this strange issue that started a few days ago. Where random computers in our computer labs start blue screening with the error

ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

What failed: Ntfs.sys

System is configured to access a Citrix Virtual Desktop.

OS config

Windows 10 x64 LTSC

Citrix WEM with transformer configuration version 2012.1
    Citrix workspace

Windows Enpoint security configured through SCCM

Hardware

Dell Optiplex 3060

BIOS ver 1.9.1

latest drivers running since January 2021 A12 driver pack

I've been through the dump file and here is the output

ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY be

An attempt was made to write to readonly memory. The guilty driver is on the

stack trace and is typically the current instruction pointer.

When possible, the guilty driver's name Unicode string is printed on

the bugcheck screen and saved in KiBugCheckDriver.

Arguments:

Arg1: fffff8064d2c8eaa, Virtual address for the attempted write.

Arg2: 0900000139eb5021, PTE contents.

Arg3: ffff9a82b241d370, reserved

Arg4: 000000000000000b, reserved

STACK_COMMAND: .trap 0xffff9a82b241d370 ; kb

SYMBOL_NAME: WdFilter+20e00

MODULE_NAME: WdFilter

IMAGE_NAME: WdFilter.sys

BUCKET_ID_FUNC_OFFSET: 20e00

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0xBE_WdFilter!unknown_function

OS_VERSION: 10.0.17763.1

BUILDLAB_STR: rs5_release

OSPLATFORM_TYPE: x64

OSNAME: Windows 10

FAILURE_ID_HASH: {ea485a3d-e464-9c5e-72a4-e3093d9814be}

From my initial investigation it points to Windows Defender.

if I check the event log is mentions a failed update for defender. If i repair by installing the missing update the issue persist.. I done windows updates, check for driver updates, hardware diagnostic, memory check all clear.

Anyone else had this issue?

:)

AndrewStephens5, Apr 9, 2021

2. BSOD - attempted_write_to_readonly_memory

Hi,

I am in the process of spoofing my Acer Nitro AN515-43 HWID, and every time I attempt to change my HWID (with an application I paid for), I get the BSOD with the stop code attempted_write_to_readonly_memory, with the failure being "peauth.sys".

Is there any way to stop this from happening so I can spoof my HWID without the error code showing up? If not, that's fine.

Link to dump files: dumps

Thanks BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY error in Windows 10 :)

parkerrobertss, Apr 9, 2021
  3. ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY (vhdmp.sys)

Hi Blobb,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

As of now, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if that helps.

Bug Check 0xBE:
    ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

Also suggest you refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Troubleshoot blue screen errors and check.

Troubleshoot blue screen errors

Reference: Refer to the following Wiki article created by ZigZag3143 (MS - MVP) on
    Blue Screen of Death (BSOD).

BSOD Finding and fixing them

Refer to the below Microsoft Help Article about the recovery options in
    Windows 10 and check if it helps. It contains the information about the difference between
    Reset option and create recovery drive option.

Recovery options in Windows 10

Hope the information helps. Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Apr 9, 2021
  4. Kursah Win User

BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY error in Windows 10

BSOD - Registry Error

Your BSOD code is 0X000000051

Here's the Google search I did for it: https://www.google.com/search?q=0x0...j5.399j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

There is a hotfix available that might help, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/810558

This thread makes a few good suggestions too: http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-hel...dows-7-pro-sp1-registry-error-0x00000051.html

+1 to listing your full system specs, OS version, etc. I did only look at your BSOD log file.

Run a Diskchk /R (I know you already ran one, so you can skip this)

Run SFC /SCANNOW

Report back.

Kursah, Apr 9, 2021
Thema:

BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY error in Windows 10

1. BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY error in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY error

2. BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY: Hey, guys. Help me solve the problem. I am getting an error and blue screen. I have a memory dump. Here is the basic information from the dump:************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ************** ExtensionRepository : Implicit...
  3. BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY: Hey, guys. Help me solve the problem. I am getting an error and blue screen. I have a memory dump. Here is the basic information from the dump:************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ************** ExtensionRepository : Implicit...
  4. ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY be BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY be BSOD: Recently cloned my windows installation SSD to a new SSD using clonezilla.Seems to be working fine but under load I will get a BSOD: Unexpected_Store_Exception, Kernal_Data_Inpage_Error, Critical_Process_Died.Any help would be appreciated!Attached is the memorydump from...
  5. BSoD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSoD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY: I get a BSoD many times! They are all happened while I was using Edge Browser. One time is while I was hovering the cursor over things on an AliExpress items, I spent time on that AliE page long before the problem occured.My system is Lenovo Legion 5 82B1CPU: Ryzen 7...
  6. BSoD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSoD ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY: I get a BSoD many times! They are all happened while I was using Edge Browser. One time is while I was hovering the cursor over things on an AliExpress items, I spent time on that AliE page long before the problem occured.My system is Lenovo Legion 5 82B1CPU: Ryzen 7...
  7. BSOD: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY be

BSOD: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY be: Hello. Been having a number of different types of BSODs on my computer. The recent one, and one that i've had before is: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY According to WinDBG: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY be An attempt was made to write to readonly memory. The...
  8. Windows 10: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY then INVALID_PROCESS_ATTEMPT_ATTACH BSOD...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY then INVALID_PROCESS_ATTEMPT_ATTACH BSOD...: This is kind of a weird one, I never seen anything like this before. After attempting to format a USB drive, I get this stop error: ATTEMPT_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY, after a restart, attempting enter the 4 digit pin on the logon screen, I get this error:...
  9. BSOD - ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY - Windows 10 Pro 64bit...

BSOD - ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY - Windows 10 Pro 64bit...: hi guys, I'm facing random BSOD issues recently, not really reproducible and frequent but still present and quite unpleasant. to start with the latest, I just got home switched the system on and opened Google Chrome with only two tabs. I did some short internet...
  10. Bsod attempted_write_to_readonly_memory

Bsod attempted_write_to_readonly_memory: Yesterday my computer started randomly showing the BSOD 0x000000be ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY. At the time I wasn't doing anything on the PC, but I do have programs such as Plex media sever and steam running in the background always. The description of the error said...