Windows 10: BSOD attempting to upgrade to Win10 20H2

Discus and support BSOD attempting to upgrade to Win10 20H2 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Community I'd really appreciate your help trying to solve my upgrade problems. Currently on Win10 1909. Upgrade to 2004 always failed and now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MikeyMax, Feb 14, 2021.

1. MikeyMax Win User

BSOD attempting to upgrade to Win10 20H2

Hi Community

I'd really appreciate your help trying to solve my upgrade problems. Currently on Win10 1909. Upgrade to 2004 always failed and now upgrade to 20H2 is consistently failing with a DPC Watchdog violation error each time and then update rolls back.

I tried MS support who told me to clear the SoftwareDistrubution and Catroot2 folders but this hasn't helped. Tried the update from Window update, media creation tool update now and ISO setup.

I have removed all external devices and uninstalled drivers. I tried some debugging and it appeared fvevol.sys was causing problems so I have decrypted all my drives and disabled Bitlocker. fvevol.sys has gone from the stack trace but now i'm getting DPC Watchdog violation errors that seem to be related to wof.sys and ntkrnlmp.exe. I'm about out of patience trying to get this update to install!

I don't have any minidumps so have uploaded memory.dmp, setupmem.dmp, setupact.log and setuperr.log from C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Rollback for the latest install attempt. Also uploaded MSINFO.nfo. Files available at https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au3KlUyHNurkhu9-CPbxdSabcp-_yw?e=fHTBTQ

New to this forum so please let me know if you need anything else. All help gratefully received.

Cheers

Mikey

:)

MikeyMax, Feb 14, 2021

2. BSOD Page fault when updating to 20H2 - Electric Boogaloo

Hello

I'm attempting to upgrade to 20H2 but have been stopped for the last couple of months by BSOD incurred by Intel Engine Management Interface.

I came across this thread which seemed promissing as the person involved had the same motherboard as and seemingly the same cause.
    I tried all of the suggestions in that thread in order to figure out what the cause or fix could be. Sadly none of them worked.

These are the steps I undertook in order:
    - Reseated the RAM (Failure to install upgrade afterwards)
    - Clean install (Failure to install upgrade afterwards)
    - Installed msi intel Management provided by MSI (Failure to install upgrade afterwards)
    - Disabled the device in device Management (Failure to install upgrade afterwards)

I've ran a short memtest to see if any quick issues popped and that was not the case.

BSOD attempting to upgrade to Win10 20H2 [​IMG]

I've updated the information on my profile to reflect my device as accurately as possible.

Log Files below
    DESKTOP-OGA4PO6-(2021-01-21_17-13-14).zip

DeWulfJens, Feb 14, 2021
  3. aronchick Win User
    Stuck in Windows 10 Upgrade

My computer seems to be stuck in a Windows 10 failed upgrade loop. I was running fine on a beta version of Windows 10, and then I came downstairs one morning to see it repeatedly booting, attempting to repair, then rebooting. The steps I've taken to diagnose are:

• Attempting to boot off a USB drive (with all drives disabled in BIOS) - this fails at the point of the blue windows screen
    • Attempting to boot the machine itself and getting into "repair/safe mode" using F7
    • Looking at the BIOS for obvious failures (e.g. RAM that should be there is missing) - nothing obvious is wrong.

I am fairly certain the build version was 9926. For many months, the system would attempt to upgrade, and then say "it failed" for some reason and roll back.

Suggestions for next steps?

aronchick, Feb 14, 2021
  4. alexsubri Win User

BSOD- atikmpag.sys

This is most likely due to an installation/upgrade error with ATI driver's. I suggest doing DriveSweeper and the following:
    • Drivesweeper all drivers & in Safe Mode
    • Unistall all drivers that aren't used in DriveSweeper (CCC Profiler Updates, MSI AfterBurner, anything related to ATI that use's it's drivers.)
    • After you do this, the first thing you need to do is go into Device Manager and Unistall your ATI Drivers
    BSOD attempting to upgrade to Win10 20H2 [​IMG]

Once your done, restart the PC and then try installing the latest drivers.

I had several issues with this in the past, but I overcame it with logical reasoning and whenever I have a driver issue, I just use these steps and I always overcome the problem.

Best of luck! *Toast :toast:

alexsubri, Feb 14, 2021
Thema:

1. BSOD attempting to upgrade to Win10 20H2 - Similar Threads - BSOD attempting upgrade

2. Win10 Upgrade to version 20H2 fails. Error 0xc0000005

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 Upgrade to version 20H2 fails. Error 0xc0000005: Hi anyone ... I have tried everything I could figure out to upgrade my Win10 to version 20H2. Through the normal upgrade set-up I get Error 0xc0000005 I've tried many ways including: A Running Update Troubleshooter no results most of the time B Running:net stop bits net stop...
  3. Win10 Upgrade to version 20H2 fails. Error 0xc0000005

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 Upgrade to version 20H2 fails. Error 0xc0000005: Hi anyone ... I have tried everything I could figure out to upgrade my Win10 to version 20H2. Through the normal upgrade set-up I get Error 0xc0000005 I've tried many ways including: A Running Update Troubleshooter no results most of the time B Running:net stop bits net stop...
  4. Win10 20H2 Qualcomm-QCA61x4A cause BSOD...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10 20H2 Qualcomm-QCA61x4A cause BSOD...: Help, after updating to Win10 20H2, Qualcomm-QCA61x4A always cause BSOD...driver: Microsoft 8/22/2018 12.0.0.722 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-20h2-qualcomm-qca61x4a-cause-bsod/66b7db91-67b4-40ce-b1de-ed89adb3f273
  5. multiboot- not working well after upgrade to win10 20H2

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    multiboot- not working well after upgrade to win10 20H2: I have a multi boot system with win10 win7 and xp.The bootloader? was working fine as i could choose which program to run after startup.The update to win10 version 20H2 OS build 19042.928 seemed to go ok except not I get the windows symbol but no dots in a circle. I have to...
  6. Upgrade 1909 -> 20H2: BSOD [0xc1900101]

Upgrade 1909 -> 20H2: BSOD [0xc1900101]: I have been having this issue for a while now. Whenever I try to update to 20H2, it BSODs, only returning the code 0xc1900101. The minidump is always empty, so I am unable to really troubleshoot what the issue is. So far, I have tried the following: -Update through...
  7. Win10 upgrade number from 18 to 20H2

Win10 upgrade number from 18 to 20H2: Good day, Please help with the issue of updating the fleet of machines through WSUS. We have 100 hosts with different versions of Win 10 starting from 18. We want to update them via WSUS. Who knows how to do this or KB numbers, please write. I'm really looking forward ......
  8. in-place upgrade is not possible on Win10 1809 to 20H2

in-place upgrade is not possible on Win10 1809 to 20H2: Hello all, I am stuck with in-place upgrade of Win10 1809 x64 Enterprise. to Win10 20H2 x64 Enterprise on HP laptops with Thunderbolt port. A desktops are not affected. It is basically the same issue as here I see the same error in setup.exe GUI during pre-installation...
  9. Win10 20H2

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 20H2: I installed 20H2 when windows update said it was available and also had a totally unusable pc . On startup I disabled all installed programs ,still had the pc hanging with only my norton 360 still running . Reverted back to win10 1909 all was good until a final windows...
  10. Attempting Win7Pro to win10 upgrade Win10 insistists on HOME not PRO

Attempting Win7Pro to win10 upgrade Win10 insistists on HOME not PRO: Have here DELL XPS 8900 running Win7 Pro for several years. When I bought the XPS8900 it had Win10 Home installed. For several reasons I bought a retail Win7 Pro and did a clean install on the system back then. Now I want to try Win 10 again, but win 10 PRO. I downloaded the...