Windows 10: BSOD - BAD_POOL_HEADER - ntoskrnl.exe

Discus and support BSOD - BAD_POOL_HEADER - ntoskrnl.exe in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, Recently I've been getting fairly frequent BSOD (BAD_POOL_HEADER) on my PC. It was around the same time as I moved the PC from one room to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Duncan, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Duncan Win User

BSOD - BAD_POOL_HEADER - ntoskrnl.exe

Hi,

Recently I've been getting fairly frequent BSOD (BAD_POOL_HEADER) on my PC. It was around the same time as I moved the PC from one room to another. Perhaps this is merely co-incidental, I don't know, perhaps a driver or something else causes the issues. After the BSODs I did reseat my memory just in case I had accidentally knocked it out, but all seemed OK.

There's no real pattern I can discern that triggers the BSOD any more than normal use. I generally use my PC for internet browsing and a bit of GoPro and photo editing. It's an old beast, ~7/8 years old, Dell, running windows 10. Technically the GFX card doesn't have a windows 10 driver, however, I upgraded to Windows 10 a while back and have only had problems in the past 3-4 weeks.

I've ran mulitple memory checks (the most recent was an extended, 5 pass) all have come back without error. SFC /scannow also comes back clean.

PC Info:
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    System Model Studio XPS 435MT
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, 2668 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.0.2, 14-Nov-08
    SMBIOS Version 2.5
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode Legacy
    BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Desktop
    Secure Boot State Unsupported
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.10586.0"
    Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 5.99 GB
    Available Physical Memory 3.47 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 12.0 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 9.22 GB
    Page File Space 6.00 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Thanks for any help.

Attachment 72739

:)

Duncan, Apr 1, 2016
  2. JBJblaze Win User

Frequently receiving BAD_POOL_HEADER BSODs on Windows 10

Greetings, fellow Windows folks!

For months now, I've been receiving many BSODs on my laptop. All of them, however, BAD_POOL_HEADER
    BSODs occur the most frequently, and more specifically so caused by ntoskrnl.exe.

Here is a link to a screenshot of the latest BSOD entry: http://puu.sh/wrRqR.png

................................ and another to my latest 5 entries caused by ntoskrnl.exe: BSOD Dumpies.zip

Thanks for further help and info!

~

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

JBJblaze, Apr 1, 2016
  3. BSOD BAD_POOL_HEADER caused by ntoskrnl.exe

I'm currently having a BSOD that happens usually several times a day randomly. My computer will freeze up completely and then restarts. I unfortunately cannot say if anything specific causes it; I could be doing something completely random like playing a
    game, or browsing the internet.

I tried checking the RAM, HDDs, also formating and resintaling windows. But nothing seems to help.

I also unplugged my computer, pressed the power button for about 20 seconds to discharge it.

I will upload the two dump files I got after I installed Windows 10.

Shared items 2-1-2016

I also ran a sfc scannow and I got some corrupt files but windows was unable to fix them.

This is the cbs.log, if that could help

CBS.log

Motherboard: GA-870A-UD3

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 945

Graphics: GTX 560 Ti

RAM: Muskin 2x2 Kingston 2x4

Network Card: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168D/8111D PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

I'm not sure what's going on really. Any ideas? Help would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance

carlosgarciamira, Apr 1, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

The pc info looks like a copy/paste from msinfo32 which is missing in the dump among with many others of which some are important to have.

Please run the DM Log Collector again and upload a new zip.
    The zip normally contains at least following files
    • 19 .txt,
    • 1 .nfo,
    • 1 or more .dmp

axe0, Apr 2, 2016
  5. Duncan Win User
    When I run DM Log Collector, it seems to freeze after "generating msinfo report", the zip attached above, was the first time out of many tries it actually got to the point of creating the zip.

I've tried re-downloading, running as administrator and straight from start-up. Still the same.

Duncan, Apr 2, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    It doesn't freeze, the msinfo32 is large and takes some time.

axe0, Apr 2, 2016
  7. Duncan Win User
    Thanks for the patience, finally got it to run fully, files attached.

Attachment 72794

Duncan, Apr 2, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

It is the USB network driver that causes the crashes which is outdated.
    Either update/reinstall the drivers or remove it if updating/reinstallation doesn't help.
    Code: ******************************************************************************* * * * Bugcheck Analysis * * * ******************************************************************************* Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information. BugCheck 19, {20, ffffe001ffe6f250, ffffe001ffe6f310, 40c0005} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for athuwbx.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for athuwbx.sys Name [00000003] NETGEAR WNA1100 N150 Wireless USB Adapter Adapter Type Ethernet 802.3 Product Type NETGEAR WNA1100 N150 Wireless USB Adapter Installed Yes PNP Device ID USB\VID_0846&PID_9030\12345 Last Reset 03-Apr-16 12:30 AM Index 3 Service Name athur IP Address 192.168.0.3, fe80::6021:fdb:d4c0:dc9c, fdaf:b1aa:a30a:0:8134:48a:7cb9:9370, fdaf:b1aa:a30a:0:6021:fdb:d4c0:dc9c IP Subnet 255.255.255.0, 64, 128, 64 Default IP Gateway 192.168.0.1 DHCP Enabled Yes DHCP Server 192.168.0.1 DHCP Lease Expires 04-Apr-16 8:48 AM DHCP Lease Obtained 03-Apr-16 8:48 AM MAC Address ‪E0:91:F5:47:00:E7‬ Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\athuwbx.sys (10.0.0.28, 2.58 MB (2,702,336 bytes), 14-Dec-15 8:37 AM) 20-Nov-13 3:43:49 AM C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\athuwbx.sys[/quote]

axe0, Apr 2, 2016
  9. Duncan Win User
    Thanks for the reply, good to know what it is, just need to sort out the problem.

The driver version says 10.0.0.28 (19th Nov 13). I uninstalled this driver, went to Netgears website, downloaded the latest

WNA1100 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Version 2.2.0.1 is labelled as supporting Win 10. I installed the driver only from that zip, labelled as WNA1100_DriverOnly_1.2.0.2_signed this was installed and I rebooted. Upon opening the driver details again, it's exactly the same as the old driver. When right-clicking "Update Driver Software" in Device Manager, it also says its got the latest.

When you say there's a newer one, which one were you meaning?

If this doesn't work, and I need to uninstall the driver permanently, do I need to replace the hardware or is there an unofficial driver?

Thanks,

Duncan, Apr 3, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    I didn't say that, I didn't check so I didn't know if there were updates which is why I wrote 'if updating OR reinstalling doesn't help' (updating/reinstalling). So if updating wouldn't work because no updates were available another option would be there which was reinstalling.

If reinstalling doesn't help, you need to remove the device and driver, the rest is up to you.

11. Duncan Win User
    This has had a similar issue happen after 6 days of being OK. Albeit a slightly different error (VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE), I've attached the required zip, is it related?

Attachment 73977

thanks,

Duncan, Apr 8, 2016
  12. axe0 New Member
    The zip is empty, try to upload it again.

13. axe0 New Member

Normally a TDR crash isn't related to the first analysis, but it may be this time what can be tested by removing the USB adapter and see what happened.

Besides of that, you need to update your BIOS
    Product Support | Dell US

Thema:

1. BSOD - BAD_POOL_HEADER - ntoskrnl.exe - Similar Threads - BSOD BAD_POOL_HEADER ntoskrnl

2. BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe: KUKutter_UKFirstly, I would like to say that I am posting this again because after having an instant reply from an 'Andrew', and posting my dmp files as requested on July 24th I haven't heard anything back since! I have responded a couple of times but nothing is happening to...
  3. BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe

BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe: Hi there, My new machine around 8 months old now runs perfectly most of the time. Uptime 3 - 6 weeks at a time. NO issues at all - I am a heavy PC user: Gaming, Audio Work and some 3D modelling, so my machine goes through its paces.Every now and then on boot, I get the error...
  4. BSOD ntoskrnl..exe

BSOD ntoskrnl..exe: My computer has crashed a few times often when i play games. I bought more ram because i thought that it was the issue but it didn't help. It did work a few days but then the crashes came back. After that i fixed the BSOD´s by lowering the graphics and the resolution on the...
  5. Windows 10 BSOD BAD_POOL_HEADER

Windows 10 BSOD BAD_POOL_HEADER: Hello, I'm looking for some help for a BSOD I frequently having been getting recently. I have the minidump file here: Link to file https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TG5j2dL9dOnjQe75mfouQRlkhjmBRCjz I have already tried: sfc /scannow DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image...
  6. BSOD ntoskrnl..exe+1b35e0

BSOD ntoskrnl..exe+1b35e0: Help. Getting 4-5 of these a day. Running latest Windows 10 Pro, Xibo signboard, Docker with Xibo server. Always the same 'Caused By Address'. Put in new memory, ran memory test, no errors, all drivers up to date. Change disk type to AHCA, made sure windows driver was...
  7. BSOD-Bad_Pool_Header

BSOD-Bad_Pool_Header: I've only just upgraded to Windows 10 and have gotten the BSOD several times during the upgrade. The upgrade did complete, but now the BSOD is random although opening Edge does seem to set it off. Any help would be most appreciated. 31335
  8. Bsod bad_pool_header

Bsod bad_pool_header: My computer bsod randomly when i'm browsing the internet (once every 6 days or so). I'm thinking it's a driver issue but am unsure which drivers to reinstall. This computer is around 3 months old which i built. 71048
  9. BSODS, again :( BAD_POOL_HEADER

BSODS, again :( BAD_POOL_HEADER: I had solved my last Blue Screens replacing my RAMS, but now i've got a BSOD.*Mad I was downloading BLACK OPS 3 on Steam and Browsing Internet (Chrome), while editing a file with WordPad. Logs attached. 37087
  10. BAD_POOL_HEADER BSOD, Dump File attached

BAD_POOL_HEADER BSOD, Dump File attached: Hi, I've finally given up and looking to windows 10 experts to help :( I randomly receive BSOD caused by tcpip.sys (so it says). For instance, i received one 10 minutes ago after waking up in the morning (5.30am AEST), turning my monitor on, pressing 'enter' to log on,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bad pool error ntoskrnl.exe

2. bad pool header dxgkrnl.exe ntosknl.exe