Windows 10: BSOD, Black Screen, and General Freezing while gaming on Windows 10 1909

Discus and support BSOD, Black Screen, and General Freezing while gaming on Windows 10 1909 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Recently I was sent a preinstalled Windows 10 Pro 1909 SSD, unable to reinstall different OS version or downgrade without voiding a warranty. Now, I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by BeardedGamerGuy, Feb 27, 2020.

1. BSOD, Black Screen, and General Freezing while gaming on Windows 10 1909

Recently I was sent a preinstalled Windows 10 Pro 1909 SSD, unable to reinstall different OS version or downgrade without voiding a warranty. Now, I am essentially stuck on Windows 10 1909 and while utilizing it I have run into a specific repeatable issue that I have tried numerous strategies to repair with no success.

Specs:

• Alienware 17R4
    • Windows 10 1909 Build 18363.657
    • 256 GB NVMe M.2 SSD OS Drive
    • 1TB HDD Secondary Drive
    • Nvidia GTX 1080 Notebook edition
    • Intel i7-7820HK CPU
    • 16GB Memory

Problem: When playing any graphically demanding game will list a few below, within ~5-20 minutes, the computer will Crash to BSOD various errors/not consistent message, Crash to Black Screen, or just simply freeze; all of which require a hard reboot of the device.

• Two of the BSOD errors [UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP and KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED].

Troubleshooting Attempts: Thus far I have tried the following to see what the issue might be

• Ran various hardware performance utilities to diagnose any current hardware issues None found
    • Installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled different Nvidia graphics drivers Same issue persists
    • Reinstalled fresh edition of Win 10 1909 OS Same issue presists
    • Reinstalled fresh Nvidia driver version 442.19 after Win 10 reinstall Same issue persists
    • Installed only minimal software to replicate the problem Steam with 1-3 games Same issue persists [Game Examples: Assassins Creed Odyssey, The Witcher 3, Session, and Wolcen]
      • Was able to play a non-graphically demanding game Roblox without crashing
    • Installed different gaming software to see if the issue was related to Steam - Blizzard Launcher+ Diablo 3 Same issue persists
    • Tested if problem occurs while not gaming, running HD video, etc. Issue does not occur; can run for hours or even days with no problem as long as games are not played

At this point, I am unable to determine the next best course of action to resolve this issue.

:)

BeardedGamerGuy, Feb 27, 2020

2. Unable to play video games on Windows 10, black screen after log-in screen

Hi Natasha,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the Windows 10 operating system, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• From where are you trying to play the video games (downloaded/ from website)?
    • If you are playing games from website which browser are you using?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message when the game crashes?
    • Are you able log-in to your computer?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ outdated display drivers.

As you see black screen while logging to the desktop, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article about this issue, try the troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Also, I suggest you to install all the pending updates on your device.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 27, 2020
  3. jds63 Win User
    Black Screen after Log on

So this is not a BSOD ? Have a Windows 10 disc or USB Flash Drive made ? How are you getting to task manager Ctrl.+Alt+Del ? Any cursor on screen ?

jds63, Feb 27, 2020
  4. TootleDoo Win User

BSOD, Black Screen, and General Freezing while gaming on Windows 10 1909

BSOD, freezes and black screen on desktop and in a variety of games

Greetings TenForums,

I assembled this new PC back in March. Due to a defective RAM stick, I have had to wait until recently to actually put it to use.

Unfortunately, I am experiencing problems when playing games, and in one instance even just messing around on the desktop.

After a seemingly random amount of playtime, either the image freezes (sound can still be heard) or the screen goes black (monitor claiming "no input signal"). Whether the gameplay returns after freezing seems to also be random, and in the event it does not, a hard reset is required.

Only one BSOD has happened so far, which was almost immediately after restarting from a black screen.

A friend with almost identical hardware had experienced a similar issue, and recommended updating the Ethernet driver. After having done so, the problems unfortunately still persist, with the exception of BSOD, which has yet to happen again.

I have attached both the DM and Beta Log collector files.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

TootleDoo, Feb 27, 2020
Thema:

BSOD, Black Screen, and General Freezing while gaming on Windows 10 1909

1. BSOD, Black Screen, and General Freezing while gaming on Windows 10 1909 - Similar Threads - BSOD Black Screen

2. Black screen while gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen while gaming: Before I start explaining the issue here are my specs + os:OS: WIndows 11MB:B450 TOMAHAWKGPU: RX 580CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight CoreI've been having this issue for almost more than 2 months my screen has been going black under load and the pc has still been running mouse and...
  3. Black screen while gaming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen while gaming: Before I start explaining the issue here are my specs + os:OS: WIndows 11MB:B450 TOMAHAWKGPU: RX 580CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight CoreI've been having this issue for almost more than 2 months my screen has been going black under load and the pc has still been running mouse and...
  4. PC occasionally freezes on black screen while gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC occasionally freezes on black screen while gaming: I recently built a computer back in July which had some kinks that I thought I worked through, but now my PC has been freezing only while gaming with this black screen where some of the colours are distorted. Looks like this I've looked through the minidump files in effort to...
  5. PC occasionally freezes on black screen while gaming

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC occasionally freezes on black screen while gaming: I recently built a computer back in July which had some kinks that I thought I worked through, but now my PC has been freezing only while gaming with this black screen where some of the colours are distorted. Looks like this I've looked through the minidump files in effort to...
  6. PC occasionally freezes on black screen while gaming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. PC freezes, goes into black screen, then restart while gaming.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC freezes, goes into black screen, then restart while gaming.: I reinstalled windows yesterday and started to notice this kind of issue.When I'm gaming, my pc would freeze for a second or two, then goes in to black screen when all the LEDs in the cases were still on, and then restart. This happened multiple times within a day. I zipped...
  8. PC freezes, goes into black screen, then restart while gaming.

PC freezes, goes into black screen, then restart while gaming.: I reinstalled windows yesterday and started to notice this kind of issue.When I'm gaming, my pc would freeze for a second or two, then goes in to black screen when all the LEDs in the cases were still on, and then restart. This happened multiple times within a day. I zipped...
  9. Black Screens While Gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Screens While Gaming: I’ve been noticing whenever I game on pc both of my monitors will go black for about 2 seconds, it brings me to the desktop and my discord will turn completely black. I can still hear friends talking in discord app but I just can’t see anything. This has been happening more...
  10. BSOD, freezes and black screen on desktop and in a variety of games

BSOD, freezes and black screen on desktop and in a variety of games: Greetings TenForums, I assembled this new PC back in March. Due to a defective RAM stick, I have had to wait until recently to actually put it to use. Unfortunately, I am experiencing problems when playing games, and in one instance even just messing around on the desktop....