Windows 10: BSOD CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT on New PC Build

Discus and support BSOD CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT on New PC Build in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, Built a new PC about a month ago and since then I have been plagued with an intermittent CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error. Happens usually when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by heyjaso, Aug 21, 2017.

1. heyjaso Win User

BSOD CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT on New PC Build

Hi all,

Built a new PC about a month ago and since then I have been plagued with an intermittent CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error. Happens usually when playing games like Hearthstone or TF2. Also has happened right after a reboot. I have tried to update any drivers in device manager that I come across that can find and install an update. Attached is my system info. Is there anything I am missing?

:)

heyjaso, Aug 21, 2017

2. Multiple BSOD Problems (maybe caused by Hardware, Driver)

And another BSOD. This time "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)". I uploaded the DMP File to the Subfolder.

Abaddon287, Aug 21, 2017
  3. BSOD [CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT]

Still no change I think im gonna try to just reset my system and see if that fixes it

RussD.Edwards, Aug 21, 2017
  4. heyjaso Win User

lol, literally while reading this forum another crash happened just now. *Smile No game running, just Chrome with a number of bookmarks.

heyjaso, Aug 21, 2017
  5. Spectrum Win User
    Hi heyjaso,

I'm not seeing any crash dumps in the zip you posted. Do you see any .dmp files in C:\Windows\Minidump\? If so please post them in a .zip. Otherwise see if C:\Windows\memory.dmp exists.

If you those are not present, let's check that you have crash dumps enabled.

Open the start menu -> type "sysdm.cpl" -> Enter

Under the Advanced tab, under "Startup and Recovery " click the Settings button.

Under "System Failure" make sure "Write an event to the system log" is enabled.

Under "Write debugging information" make sure "none" is *not* selected. The default option is normally "Automatic memory dump" which will produce minidumps in C:\Windows\Minidump\ and a memory.dmp in C:\Windows.

Spectrum, Aug 21, 2017
  6. heyjaso Win User
    Thanks for the help, Spectrum!

There were no files in \Minidump. Had to give myself administrator access to open it. However, the memory.dmp does exist and it is...738mb in size. Is that normal? Should I post here?

Incidentally, I checked and I do have crash dumps enabled.

heyjaso, Aug 21, 2017
  7. Spectrum Win User
    After looking into the eventlog I'm seeing some errors like:

Code: Event[3985]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting Date: 2017-08-21T17:25:34.896 Event ID: 1005 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: ENDICOTT-PC Description: Unable to produce a minidump file from the full dump file.[/quote] Try switching from "Automatic" to "Small memory dump (256k)" since I'd imagine it will be a bit annoying for you to upload 700+ MB file to dropbox/onedrive/<whatever> and post it here.

If your system still won't produce .dmps in C:\Windows\Minidump\ after further blue screens, go ahead and post the memory.dmp.

As far as additional troubleshooting I would suggest the following:

1.) Is any hardware overclocked? If so please revert any changes, and see if BSODs are still occuring at normal clockspeeds.

I see that you have two services erroring out OcButtonService and EasyTune Engine Service, I believe these are part of Gigabyte's overclocking software. Please make sure that you have reset everything to factory defaults, and remove those programs at least temporarily to make sure they are not causing the problem.

2.) Test your disks with HDTune and Crystalmark, take a screenshot of the results and post it here.

HD Tune website
    Download Center - Crystal Dew World

3.) Test your RAM with memtest86+, start this before you go to bed and let it run for 8+ passes, which could take until the next evening. *Any* errors found indicate bad RAM, which will mean we will need to test each DIMM (stick) one-by-one. It would be great if you could take a picture of the results with your phone/camera and post it here so we can confirm your RAM passed.

MemTest86+ - Test RAM Windows 10 BSOD Tutorials

4.) Update your firmware to the latest version, you are currently on release F4, but F7 is out.
    GA-Z270-HD3P (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE

Spectrum, Aug 21, 2017
  8. heyjaso Win User

After several days of using the computer sporadically with no crashes, got the same crash today!

Minidump is attached. I also ran HD Tune on both drives, no errors (screenshots attached), but have not yet done the memtest.

Re: overclocking I made no changes to the system for overclocking and indeed I'm not even sure where I would go to check/disable it.

Haven't updated the firmware for my motherboard yet, but I suppose that and a memtest are next unless the dump file helps pinpoint the problem somewhere else.

heyjaso, Aug 25, 2017
  9. Spectrum Win User
    Updating your motherboard's firmware to the latest revision is a very good idea.

I'm seeing an issue where a processor core is not responding to a a clock interrupt for an extended period of time. Unfortunately minidumps aren't going to be the most helpful in this case.

Do you see a file called "memory.dmp" in C:\Windows? If so, please use google drive/dropbox/onedrive/<cloud provider> to upload it, and post a link here.

Spectrum, Aug 25, 2017
  10. heyjaso Win User
    Alright, I'll research the best way to update the motherboard bios, unless someone knows offhand. I have to think Gigabyte has an app or utility.

Here's a link to the ZIP of the memory.dmp:

MEMORY.zip - Google Drive

heyjaso, Aug 25, 2017
  11. heyjaso Win User
    Looks like the motherboard uses QFlash, so I'll update to the newest F7 bios.

heyjaso, Aug 25, 2017
  12. Spectrum Win User
    Here is the link to the current release of your board's firmware: Version F7

It looks like you are running version F4, which is a few releases behind.

Spectrum, Aug 25, 2017
  13. heyjaso Win User

Thanks! I'm putting it on a USB stick and going through the process shortly.

heyjaso, Aug 25, 2017
  14. heyjaso Win User
    BIOS updated to F7 successfully. I'll try and put the machine through its paces, but if you see anything in the memory.dmp I posted, please let me know!

heyjaso, Aug 25, 2017
  15. Spectrum Win User
    Unfortunately it looks like the memory.dmp is corrupted, I'm getting a lot of context errors and missing information.

Spectrum, Aug 25, 2017
Thema:

1. BSOD CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT on New PC Build - Similar Threads - BSOD CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT Build

2. BSOD on new PC Build

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD on new PC Build: I could really use some help. This is a bit above my paygrade.I've build two new identical computers. They contain: ASUS z790-A Gaming WIFI motherboard with 128GB of Corsair Dominator DDR5 5600 RAM XMP disabled, running slower.They both exhibit the same behavior. When I...
  3. CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD on new build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD on new build: I recently replaced all the components in my Digital Storm and have been running into the CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT blue screens from time to time. Not when I'm just browsing, only when I've been playing SW: TOR, not a very graphics-intensive game, which I uninstalled and...
  4. CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD on new build

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD on new build: I recently replaced all the components in my Digital Storm and have been running into the CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT blue screens from time to time. Not when I'm just browsing, only when I've been playing SW: TOR, not a very graphics-intensive game, which I uninstalled and...
  5. New build. BSOD: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New build. BSOD: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT: Hi, I'd be really grateful for every bit of your help. I'm getting CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD randomly when I play games. It usually happens when the game is about to start loading or just after exiting the game. I tried everything I was able to: - Windows 10 reinstallation...
  6. Bsod: Clock_watchdog_timeout

Bsod: Clock_watchdog_timeout: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. - log v2 Windows 10 1909 18363.1016 I've upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 3600, with new mobo and DDR4 ram to boot. Everything was fine for the first month or so, but now I got multiple BSOD of the...
  7. New PC Clock_WatchDog_Timeout and random Freezes

New PC Clock_WatchDog_Timeout and random Freezes: Hi all I bought and built a custom PC about 3 days ago: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, Asus Strix Radeon Rx 590, 16gb Corsair Vengeance, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ml240r rgb cooler, Cooler Master mwe 650w bronze 80+, Firecuda 1tb 3.5" SSHD and Samsung 860pro 512gb (installed OS on this...
  8. CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD: Hello All, My computer has been experiencing BSOD's starting last week. The BSOD will only occur while I am playing a videogame and even then the time in which the BSOD occurs will vary each time. I could have just booted the game or have been playing for an hour. The error...
  9. Brand new Build. BSod CLock_Watchdog_Timeout and Freezes.

Brand new Build. BSod CLock_Watchdog_Timeout and Freezes.: I spent all weekend building up a new computer: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X41 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB)...
  10. BSOD clock_watchdog_timeout

BSOD clock_watchdog_timeout: So I got this bsod CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT. PC froze at 30% while it was auto restarting. Added 2 more ram sticks and this happens a day after. Had issue with the ram's software (to control RGB). They are G.skill Trident Z RGB. Installed the software after adding ram, pc...