Windows 10: BSOD CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (& Others) On Some Games

Discus and support BSOD CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (& Others) On Some Games in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I've had Multiple BSOD's While playing (High End) games. While playing games such as GTA IV or Player Unknown i have had multiple BSOD, this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by dtex, Aug 5, 2017.

1. dtex Win User

BSOD CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (& Others) On Some Games

Hi,

I've had Multiple BSOD's While playing (High End) games. While playing games such as GTA IV or Player Unknown i have had multiple BSOD, this only seems to happen on games that require a lot of power to run. I have played games like ORI & Blind Forest and Counterstrike for 4 hours+ Without any errors.

Specs:
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz
    16.0GB Dual-Channel
    ASUS Z170-P
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit

BlueScreen View:

Hal.dll
    Ntoskrnl.exe
    IntelPPm.sys

BSOD Exprienced:

Clock_Watchdog_Timeout
    Driver_IRQL_NOT Less or Equal
    IRQL_NOT Less or Equal
    Kmode_exception_Not_Handled

After contacting my supplier he suggested a number of things to try fixing the issue, and now he has got to the point of suggesting i need a new graphics card. I do however not believe however the issue is solely a faulty graphics card.

I have tried the following fixes:
    • Reformatted Windows
    • uninstall all Nvidia and Graphics drivers and fresh install
    • Installed all updated Drivers
    • Memtest (4 Hours)
    • GE Benchmark

I presume someone would want to look at the minidumps? Please let me know and i will edit on to this post, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Connor

:)

dtex, Aug 5, 2017

2. Multiple BSOD Problems (maybe caused by Hardware, Driver)

And another BSOD. This time "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)". I uploaded the DMP File to the Subfolder.

Abaddon287, Aug 5, 2017
  3. NaniKpr Win User
    Computer BSODs

I have had BSODs with clock_watchdog_timeout, or just computer freezing while playing games on browser that used Macromedia Flash on a totally fresh start after a full system format. I got clock_watchdog_timeout error before the format, built a new rig using
    old Hard Drives, and GPU from previous PC.

I tried uninstalling Flash, uninstalling browser(Chrome), uninstalled audio drivers. Reinstalled Chrome, tried again. And same hard freeze/clock_watchdog_timeout every time.

Minidump always identifies a different program as the fault. One time it was Chrome, one time it was Steam, and so on. Ran driver verifier, ran multiple Flash games and after a while driver verifier produced a BSOD. Speccy64 was also running during this,
    and the dump identifies it as the program. The first link has this dump, and another dump that was from the time before Speccy64 was installed.

So far, Macromedia Flash is the only reliable freeze/bsod causer besides Speccy. I've played World of Tanks on max settings, and other intensive video games, and not a single freeze or bsod during them. Nothing came up during memtest. Prime 95, less than
    2 minutes of running and bsod. Noted nothing happening on worker8, and prime95 simply said error for it. Checked CPU and Motherboard, no bent pins. Cpu had plenty of thermal paste, even got it on my fingers taking it off.

[edit]Odd, the process of taking off the CPU to inspect it, then putting it back on seems to have fixed the issue for prime95. Worker8 is now working and prime95 did not bsod the computer when running it for 10 minutes. However turning on driver verifier
    then rebooting produced WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124). Starting up after that, no error. Second link is the minidump for this.

Tried running multiple macromedia flash games during driver verification, computer bsodded just when I started Speccy64. 3rd link is memory and minidump for this instance, would seem to link Speccy64 as a reliable BSOD causer. Uninstalled it and trying to
    BSOD with just Macromedia Flash right now. So far, games that previously reliably produced a BSOD before cpu inspection are not doing so, but will have to test for this longer given previously they sometimes ran without issue.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz 8-core

GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 285 O.C. 2 Gt GDDR5

Memory: Four Corsair Vengeance 4 GB PC3-12800, 1600MHz, 240 DIMM 4 GB modules

Motherboard: Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 990X

PSU: Corsair CX750W V2 CX-series 750 W

Windows Hard Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 120 Gt 2,5" SATA3

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag_oGXM7aD7ngQfRFRSpxeDyNVnY

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag_oGXM7aD7ngQhOBKx_xYLli2Bf

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag_oGXM7aD7ngQkktIknys9xEcRO

NaniKpr, Aug 5, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

zbook, Aug 6, 2017
  5. dtex Win User
    Hi guys,

Just attached file, sorry for not doing it the first time.

Bump.

Thanks,
    Connor

dtex, Aug 6, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    There were 4 bsod mini dump files debugged from 7/29 and 7/30.
    The debugging displayed rt640x64.sys as a misbehaving driver.

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:

1) sfc /scannow

2) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

3) chkdsk /scan

4) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

5) Update rt640x64.sys using this method:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...=1436753520149

Lately there has been a noticeable increase in the number of Realtek/Asus misbehaving drivers. In laptops we have been rolling back drivers. If this update produces another bsod then the next step will be to roll back the driver.

Code: Event[2464]: Log Name: System Source: volmgr Date: 2017-07-13T13:21:22.921 Event ID: 161 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-0DFO1CJ Description: Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.[/quote] Code: Event[5452]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-StartupRepair Date: 2017-08-03T19:46:50.865 Event ID: 1002 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-0DFO1CJ Description:[/quote] Code: BugCheck A, {b0, ff, 51, fffff803c56b2d27}Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiPageFault+23d )[/quote] Code: ffffb700`9b8c6668 fffff804`19f10737Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\rt640x64.sys, Win32 error 0n2*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for rt640x64.sys*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for rt640x64.sys rt640x64+0x20737[/quote] Code: BugCheck A, {3510, ff, 0, fffff803195fee79}Probably caused by : intelppm.sys ( intelppm!C1Halt+2 )[/quote]

Code: BugCheck D1, {0, ff, 0, 0}Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiPageFault+23d )[/quote]

Code: rt640x64 Realtek RT640 NT Drive Realtek RT640 NT Drive Kernel Manual Running OK TRUE FALSE 4,096 933,888 0 26/05/2017 08:02:29 C:\Windows\system32\drivers\rt640x64.sys 8,192[/quote]

Code: Name [00000001] Realtek PCIe GBE Family ControllerAdapter Type Ethernet 802.3 Product Type Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Installed Yes PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_86771043&REV_15\4&34076315&0&00E3 Last Reset 04/08/2017 21:53 Index 1 Service Name rt640x64 IP Address 192.168.1.242, fe80::ed66:df6:d6e3:3ebb IP Subnet 255.255.255.0, 64 Default IP Gateway 192.168.1.1 DHCP Enabled Yes DHCP Server 192.168.1.1 DHCP Lease Expires 08/08/2017 18:25 DHCP Lease Obtained 07/08/2017 18:25 MAC Address ‪9C:5C:8E:83:35:8F‬ I/O Port 0x0000D000-0x0000DFFF Memory Address 0xF7104000-0xF7104FFF Memory Address 0xF7100000-0xF71FFFFF IRQ Channel IRQ 4294967293 Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\rt640x64.sys (10.18.526.2017, 960.97 KB (984,032 bytes), 23/06/2017 11:27)[/quote]

zbook, Aug 6, 2017
  7. dtex Win User
    Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063](c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow Beginning system scan. This process will take some time. Beginning verification phase of system scan. Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.15063.0 Image Version: 10.0.15063.0 [==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully. The operation completed successfully. C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /scan The type of the file system is NTFS. Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 192768 file records processed. File verification completed. 5316 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 256832 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found. Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ... Security descriptor verification completed. 32033 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 40200880 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed. Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required. 233849855 KB total disk space. 149245724 KB in 150111 files. 101820 KB in 32034 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 308559 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 84193752 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 58462463 total allocation units on disk. 21048438 allocation units available on disk. C:\Windows\system32>[/quote]

dtex, Aug 6, 2017
  8. dtex Win User

Hi,

Sorry for being a noob! but what would i need to uninstall?

The Realtek PCIe in network adaptors?

Thanks,
    Connor

dtex, Aug 6, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
    When there is a bsod you will want to find out the cause.
    The cause could be a misbehaving hardware driver, software driver, or malfunctioning hardware.
    For the bsod that you had is displayed a misbehaving hardware driver.
    Once the driver is identified you can choose one or more of these:
    1) uninstall and reinstall
    2) update
    3) roll back
    4) if you choose uninstall there could be different uninstall methods (device manager uninstall, search > uninstall, use software to uninstall, etc.)
    5) if you choose reinstall there could be different reinstall sources (computer manufacturer, component manufacturer, etc.)

Follow these steps to uninstall the misbehaving driver: rt640x64.sys Realtek PCI-E Family controller or RT640 driver.
    1) Open the Asus website
    2) Enter the computer's serial or product number and the operating system
    3) view available drivers and identify the Realtek driver.
    4) download the driver to the desktop
    5) disconnect from the internet (turn off wireless mechanically if there is a hardware button and disconnect any wired connection.)
    6) open device manager and expand network adapters
    7) look for the Realtek driver > right click to view menu then left click properties > left click driver > left click driver details > confirm that it is driver rt640x64.sys > ok > uninstall device
    8) reinstall driver downloaded to desktop

There have been recent increase in bsod with Realtek/Asus and this driver may need to be replaced with a roll back driver.
    We will monitor and process any new bsod mini dump file if there is one.

zbook, Aug 7, 2017
  10. dtex Win User
    Hi,

I got another BSOD:

Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_Equal - Ntoskrnl.exe (From BSOD Viewer) 0x000000d1

What is the next step in identifying this driver issue?

Thanks,
    Connor

11. zbook New Member
    Please post an updated zip: BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

Please open the Asus website > enter serial or product number > view available Realtek drivers > post images into the thread.

View drivers for windows 10, windows 8.1 and windows 7.

The 2015 driver we have been rolling back to.

zbook, Aug 11, 2017
  12. dtex Win User
    Hi,

Thanks so much for your continuing support!

I remembered using Driver Booster (Third Party Software) to install new drivers for my system, i have read some criticism of these types of software. Would it be worth doing a full install of these available drivers from the asus website?

Please see attached

Thanks,
    Connor

13. zbook New Member

The driver installation or update software should be uninstalled along with any of the drivers that it had installed.
    If you cannot do the above steps you reported in the opening post that you formatted the drive.
    If you can perform a clean install (delete partitions, format the drive, make an unallocated drive, install new copy of windows 10 version 1703) that is the best starting point. Then install drivers from the computer manufacturer's web site.

zbook, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (& Others) On Some Games - Similar Threads - BSOD CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT Others

2. CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT and 2 other BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT and 2 other BSOD: Hi I have recurring problem with my pc. Whiling Im playing games I get a clock_watchdog_timeout bsod about every hour. This sometimes happens without putting stress on pc. I already tried most of the recommended fixes in the internet, but non of them helped this...
  3. CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT and 2 other BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT and 2 other BSOD: Hi I have recurring problem with my pc. Whiling Im playing games I get a clock_watchdog_timeout bsod about every hour. This sometimes happens without putting stress on pc. I already tried most of the recommended fixes in the internet, but non of them helped this...
  4. Bsod: Clock_watchdog_timeout

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bsod: Clock_watchdog_timeout: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. - log v2 Windows 10 1909 18363.1016 I've upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 3600, with new mobo and DDR4 ram to boot. Everything was fine for the first month or so, but now I got multiple BSOD of the...
  5. CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD: Hello All, My computer has been experiencing BSOD's starting last week. The BSOD will only occur while I am playing a videogame and even then the time in which the BSOD occurs will vary each time. I could have just booted the game or have been playing for an hour. The error...
  6. BSOD CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101) While playing games

BSOD CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101) While playing games: Hello. Im getting this BSOD while playing games, randomly. Most of the time it happens late in the game session. I need to know if its a driver issue or a hardware-overclocking issue. My i7 4770k is at 4.7ghz at 1.29v, but it seems stable, besides Im not getting the typical...
  7. BSOD for some games but not others.

BSOD for some games but not others.: Dear tenforum members, For about six months now, I have experienced crippling BSOD's while playing some games (eg supreme commander/warhammer total war/Crysis 2) but other games run completely fine at demanding settings (eg World of warcraft/europa universalis). The...
  8. BSOD CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT playing any Game

BSOD CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT playing any Game: Constantly getting CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT, while playing anything. GTA V it happens 10-20 minutes of starting the program. CS:GO it crashes 20-30 minutes later. I've tried analyzing the DMP files but they point to ntkrnlmp.exe. I've reloaded the OS on the entire PC...
  9. CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD among a multitude of other problems

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD among a multitude of other problems: Man, I don't even know what to do with this computer anymore... Just a few days ago, out of the blue, my laptop blue screens with the CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error every other startup, literally. Google Chrome is refusing to open. I have done a System Restore, a sfc /scannow,...
  10. BSOD clock_watchdog_timeout

BSOD clock_watchdog_timeout: So I got this bsod CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT. PC froze at 30% while it was auto restarting. Added 2 more ram sticks and this happens a day after. Had issue with the ram's software (to control RGB). They are G.skill Trident Z RGB. Installed the software after adding ram, pc...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. intelppm bsod clock_watchdog_timeout