Windows 10: BSOD: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT, this has been happening for years

Discus and support BSOD: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT, this has been happening for years in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I built my current setup about 5 years ago. i5, 8th gen processor Geforce GTX 970 8Gb RAM 256 SSD where windows is stored 1Tb HDD I had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AndrewKrall, Feb 9, 2020.

1. BSOD: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT, this has been happening for years

Hello,

I built my current setup about 5 years ago.

• i5, 8th gen processor
    • Geforce GTX 970
    • 8Gb RAM
    • 256 SSD where windows is stored
    • 1Tb HDD

I had issues when I first built it, as you do. Originally I had issues with it freezing at random. Turned out the mobo wasn't up to date. Updated it.

About a year later, I'm playing a game I've always played, and suddently, I have my first encounter with this BSOD, Error code CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT.

I have tried everything. I've even done a full wipe of the computer it's all gaming software, I never store anything personal on it, and this BSOD continues to occur at the weirdest times. The first time it would repetitively arise was when I was playing Destiny. Moderately heavy game, so that's understandable. Did some troubleshooting, got it fixed. The BSOD started coming up again for other graphics heavy games. Troubleshot and fixed again. Then it started popping up if I was running any software other than a browser. At that point, I was fed up, and did a full wipe.

It kept happening. So I reformated the SSD, then reformatted it AGAIN back to allow windows to be put on it to make sure it was really, REALLY wiped.

Haven't had issues since.

Until tonight. What caused it?

Minecraft. Are you serious? I've played this game countless times, and it is not that heavy of a load for the computer. I am at a complete loss at this point. I can no longer figure out what to do to get this BSOD to go away. I feel like I'm being haunted by it at this point. Please help.

:)

AndrewKrall, Feb 9, 2020

2. CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (BSOD) happening on Windows 10 constantly

I built this computer back in 2015 and it's been as powerful as it has been frustrating to maintain and constantly troubleshoot. I'm using it as a gaming PC, and lately it has started freezing then crashing to a BSOD with a "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT". Anecdotally, it seems to happen after it has gone to sleep and then woken back up. However, restarting does not bypass this issue.

I can't specifically recreate it other than just playing a videogame for 15-20 minutes. It's not limited to a single game, either. When it freezes, I'll hold down the power button and restart the computer. Often it'll crash again on startup, but then load to the desktop after that (and then eventually freeze again).

Some more (possibly red-herring clues):

• A few years ago I used OBS to record my gameplay and it would cause a freeze like this- however, at the time I had always restarted it not knowing it would eventually trip to a BSOD, so I can't say for sure it was a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT. But it looked exactly the same as what's happening now.
    • I stopped using OBS, but Nvidia GeForce has since introduced a feature that records gameplay. Even though I've disabled it, I have a hunch in the back of my mind that it could be the culprit.

If I just let Windows sit at the desktop (or do normal computer-related things), this problem will never happen- it appears to only be when gaming.

What I've done to troubleshoot this (this is the part where I complain about how awful Windows is):

• I've tried booting into Safe Mode, but apparently all the USB ports on my computer don't work on the screen where it asks what number I want (in order to finish booting into Safe Mode). My wired keyboard is completely unrecognized on this screen.
    • I ran "sfc /scannow" and it found corrupted files, but could not fix, so I tried DISM but it could not find the source files... So a tutorial said to configure it in the Local Group Policy Editor, but apparently my computer doesn't have that...? (May be a non-issue- see below)*
    • I just finished completely reformatting and reinstalling Windows 10 and I thought that solved the problem because the computer lasted for hours afterwords. However, after coming back to it (after it had gone to sleep) it froze and crashed just like before (15ish minutes into gaming).
    • *I've since ran another "sfc /scannow" after re-installing Windows and this time it says it did not find any integrity violations.

Since I've reformatted, I'm certain my drivers are all up-to-date, but I'm open to other suggestions there. I really don't want to install third-party tools all willy-nilly unless it's absolutely necessary.

Any idea how to narrow this issue down? My complete guesses are that it's either Nvidia's software or something to do with Windows 10 sleep. If it's hardware, what parts are typical culprits?

I'll try to answer any follow-up questions as best as possible. My primary computer is a Mac, so admittedly I'm not very intuitive (or patient) with Windows. I'm trying to enjoy gaming as a stress-reliever, but instead it only spikes my stress levels.

Here are the specs of this PC:

• Intel Core i7-4790K
    • Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH Motherboard
    • Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB RAM (2x8GB)
    • Samsung 850 EVO SSD (x2)
    • 3TB HDD
    • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970
    • Corsair Carbide 500R Case
    • Corsair 760 Power Supply

Edit: To add to it, I got a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION the last time it froze/crashed to BSOD.

Edit 2: I re-flashed the BIOS, but the error still happens. I also tried disabling broadcasting in Steam just for good measure. Still no luck. I'll keep updating this as I try other things in case it could possibly help anyone else sometime.

GreatBlakes, Feb 9, 2020
  3. BSOD [CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT]

I've recently been experiencing computer freezes and BSOD [CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT] It happens regardless of what I'm doing. I went looking online and found a wiki telling me to upload a link to my DMP files so here it is.

Crash Info

Please help me I've done everything I can possibly think of to fix this.

RussD.Edwards, Feb 9, 2020
  4. Tintai Win User

BSOD: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT, this has been happening for years

BSOD whea_uncorrectable_error and clock_watchdog_timeout

Hello,

After Cmos reset and clean Windows 10 install I'm started getting some BSODs.
    First time I've got whea_uncorrectable_error and some time later clock_watchdog_timeout.

Now I'm getting clock_watchdog_timeout all the time when I try to start AIDA64 stability test and in the middle game of CS:GO.

Here is dump from bluescreenview:
    http://tintaiexcess.com/dmp.htm

And here is the dump files from "C:\Windows\Minidump":
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/q2oy1mc5ku7girx/080315-7468-01.dmp
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/ap25qa4ilr4gtc0/080315-7359-01.dmp

My CPU is running at 4.6G at 1.328V. RAM at 1866Mhz at 1.5V.
    Stock looks stable.

Thanks
    Tintai

Tintai, Feb 9, 2020
Thema:

BSOD: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT, this has been happening for years

1. BSOD: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT, this has been happening for years - Similar Threads - BSOD CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT has

2. BSOD - Clock_Watchdog_Timeout constantly happening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD - Clock_Watchdog_Timeout constantly happening: In the last couple days, despite no real updates to the PC, I have begun experiencing constant BSOD's with an error code of Clock_Watchdog_timeout. These crashes are becoming very frequent; sometimes immediately upon startup, sometimes a few minutes in, or sometimes shortly...
  3. BSOD - Clock_Watchdog_Timeout constantly happening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD - Clock_Watchdog_Timeout constantly happening: In the last couple days, despite no real updates to the PC, I have begun experiencing constant BSOD's with an error code of Clock_Watchdog_timeout. These crashes are becoming very frequent; sometimes immediately upon startup, sometimes a few minutes in, or sometimes shortly...
  4. Need help with BSOD that has been happening frequently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with BSOD that has been happening frequently: Hello all, I've recently had a frequent amount of BSODs and I am trying to narrow down the possibilities of a driver issue. The dump files can be found here:...
  5. Need help with BSOD that has been happening frequently

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help with BSOD that has been happening frequently: Hello all, I've recently had a frequent amount of BSODs and I am trying to narrow down the possibilities of a driver issue. The dump files can be found here:...
  6. Need help with BSOD that has been happening frequently

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. BSOD "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT 101" This happen Randomly

BSOD "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT 101" This happen Randomly: Hi AllBuild new computer over 2 weeks ago, The specs are as followsWindow 20h2 Did install 21h1 but just BSOD on booti9 11900k not overclockedSamsung 500GB 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD - MZ-V8P500BWCorsair 32gb Ram - CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 Bios setting to power 1.35 as stated on...
  8. Bsod: Clock_watchdog_timeout

Bsod: Clock_watchdog_timeout: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. - log v2 Windows 10 1909 18363.1016 I've upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 3600, with new mobo and DDR4 ram to boot. Everything was fine for the first month or so, but now I got multiple BSOD of the...
  9. CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD: Hello All, My computer has been experiencing BSOD's starting last week. The BSOD will only occur while I am playing a videogame and even then the time in which the BSOD occurs will vary each time. I could have just booted the game or have been playing for an hour. The error...
  10. BSOD clock_watchdog_timeout

BSOD clock_watchdog_timeout: So I got this bsod CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT. PC froze at 30% while it was auto restarting. Added 2 more ram sticks and this happens a day after. Had issue with the ram's software (to control RGB). They are G.skill Trident Z RGB. Installed the software after adding ram, pc...