Windows 10: BSOD Critical_process_died at startup

Discus and support BSOD Critical_process_died at startup in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For several months now (update 1803?), I've experienced BSODs on a steady basis on my Alienware 17R3 running Windows10. At least 1 a day and up to 5... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Lambda_993, Sep 16, 2018.

1. BSOD Critical_process_died at startup

For several months now (update 1803?), I've experienced BSODs on a steady basis on my Alienware 17R3 running Windows10.

At least 1 a day and up to 5 or 6, mostly during the first minutes after a restart or wake-up. Often even before I sign in.

BSOD are of the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED variety. No error code is displayed.

I turned fast startup off.

I kept my drivers updated through Windows and Dell SupportAssist.

Over the summer, I restored my laptop to factory settings and reinstalled my software and stuff.

I checked my hardware thoroughly and several times (disks, RAM…) using various tools (Windows, SupportAssist, and dedicated software) without finding any problem.

I performed several full antivirus scans: no problem detected.

I used recommended methods to test and restore my system's health (SFC /scannow, DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth…) with no problem found and no effect.

I uninstalled my Antivirus suite.

BSODs still occurred. The system freezes even before I sign in and no minidump is created.
    SupportAssist doesn't even have a single log entry related to the issue.

And those crashes occur even during a clean boot.

All I can do is force the system off with the power button, then start again and hope for the best.

Over the last 7 days, Windows Event Viewer recorded:

• 41 occurrences of Kernel-Power critical event "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
    • 79 occurrences of AppModel-Runtime critical event "0x3D55: Package family Microsoft.XboxGameOverlay_8wekyb3d8bbwe runtime information is corrupted. Attempting to correct the issue."

I've read a lot of articles online, so I've been able to clear most of the probable causes for BSODs.

My problem may be related to this known issue related to update 1803 and SSD hard drives, supposedly fixed by further updates.

Would you please advise me of a proper method to investigate?

Thank you for your help,

:)

Lambda_993, Sep 16, 2018

2. Critical_Process_Died BSOD

Hi,

In order to resolve your concern, we suggest that you to follow these steps:

• If you've installed any new apps or devices, uninstall or unplug them and restart your PC.
    • Make sure your PC has the latest updates:
    • Go to the search box.
    • Type Windows Update then Enter.
    • Select Check for updates.
    • In the Settings menu, select Check for updates button.
    • When it's finished, restart your PC.

You may also check this
    link
    for more troubleshooting steps regarding critical_process_died error message.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Sep 17, 2018
  3. Critical_process_died at startup

Several times since Windows 10 has been updated (see attached file) I have received a "Critical_process_died" notification. Sometimes at startup & at least one time during normal browsing. Have talked with a local computer shop about various problems & he suggested a clean install. Attached is the dump file per your instructions.
    Appreciate any suggestions.

Barbarrosa1, Sep 17, 2018
  4. Avedis53 Win User

BSOD Critical_process_died at startup

Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Sep 17, 2018
Thema:

BSOD Critical_process_died at startup

1. BSOD Critical_process_died at startup - Similar Threads - BSOD Critical_process_died startup

2. BSOD - CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED: Hello Masters, Please help.. I have a problem with several users at work after installing Sophos anti-virus as follows: Dump File : 112620-10421-01.dmp Crash Time : 26/11/2020 08:42:26 Bug Check String : CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED Bug Check Code :...
  3. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED bsod

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED bsod: Hi! I've been having bsod for quite some time now and decided to perform a clean Windows 10 install a few days ago as a last resort. Today it happened again.. I tried to get more information use windbg myself but couldn't find anything informative. Please help!...
  4. BSOD about 10-15 minutes from startup (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED)

BSOD about 10-15 minutes from startup (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED): My laptop randomly BSODs about 10-15 minutes from boot with the code "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED". I am running Windows 10 1909 build 18263. It BSODs even in safe mode, and on examining the dump file, it tells me that services.exe crashed due to an Nt!KeBugCheckEx() call. I have...
  5. Bsod critical_process_died

Bsod critical_process_died: I used this computer a couple of years with ubuntu. I do not think it crashed once. I then installed windows 10 pro to a new SSD and the problems started. BSOD are sporadic, sometimes days between, other times hours. Most BSOD happens when the computer is unattended. It...
  6. Critical Process Died BSOD on Startup

Critical Process Died BSOD on Startup: Hello all, I just recently started having this issue. When I boot the PC, it immediately goes to this BSOD. Auto repair obviously wasn't able to fix it. I can't really post a crash dump as I can't even get into Windows. I don't really know what this error means, but here is...
  7. BSOD Critical_Process_Died

BSOD Critical_Process_Died: Hello, I have various BSOD Crashes. They occur during normal Browsing. Firstly it was a "Unexpected Store Exception" in the help in another Forum at that time ( 2 weeks ago ) we managed to do a perfect SFC-Scan and a perfect DISM-Scan, which apparantly did not...
  8. Bsod: Critical_process_died

Bsod: Critical_process_died: The BSOD: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED occurred while playing Spider Solitaire, which is by itself not a critical process. A BSOD was previously posted for this system, but while the system was using an SSD drive. I've returned to the original HDD to avoid the SSD-related BSODs....
  9. Critical_process_died at startup

Critical_process_died at startup: Several times since Windows 10 has been updated (see attached file) I have received a "Critical_process_died" notification. Sometimes at startup & at least one time during normal browsing. Have talked with a local computer shop about various problems & he suggested a clean...
  10. BSOD: "Critical_Process_Died"

BSOD: "Critical_Process_Died": 5 year old Toshiba netbook, purchased with Win7 Starter installed was eligible for and did free Win10 install in July has worked fine, up til last Thursday (October 8, 2015) 10/8/15 began crashing, "Critical_Process_Died". Allows me to restart computer, but BSOD's every two...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 0x3D55: Package family Microsoft.XboxGameOverlay_8wekyb3d8bbwe

2. 0x3d55 package family microsoft external hard drive

3. 0x3d55: a(z) microsoft.xboxgameoverlay_8wekyb3d8bbwe