Windows 10: BSOD daily while gaming & watching videos

Discus and support BSOD daily while gaming & watching videos in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Running: GPU - R9 380 4gb. CPU - i5 4460. RAM - 8gb balistix ram. PS - CS550 M corsair. Mobo - MSI b85 G41 I have been crashing very... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by frebreez3, Aug 1, 2016.

1. frebreez3 Win User

BSOD daily while gaming & watching videos

Running:
    GPU - R9 380 4gb.
    CPU - i5 4460.
    RAM - 8gb balistix ram.
    PS - CS550 M corsair.
    Mobo - MSI b85 G41

I have been crashing very frequently while running Overwatch (exists out of the program) as well as occasional 1-2 a day *BSODS usually during game. This is more rare when idle on the desktop screen. I ran Win10 verifier in order to investigate what could be causing this, it seems like an AMD driver.

The reason I suspect it is AMD is because of the error message I received when trying to investigate what is causing all these issues (by running verifier to stress my drivers)

ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmpag.sys
    Probably caused by : atikmpag.sys ( atikmpag+105c )

However, not all the BSODS that occur while gaming point to the GPU. The BSODS have been ranging in type such as irql_not_less_or_equal, various memory issue ones, paging file size, as well as a 'attempted to write to read only position' (or something).

Various fixes and diagnosis I have tried:

• Install a fresh copy of windows
    • Make sure all other drivers are updated (including bios)
    • Changed various graphical settings ingame (ranging from lowest to highest, all crashing, as well as various different screen rates)
    • Ran the *more* stable Crimson 15.11.1 beta driver, still crashes .Tried 16.3 crashes, now running 16.7, still crashes.
    • Set a longer TdrDelay value (now currently at 8)
    • Ran memtest86 overnight to check ram. Passed 6 full tests, no errors.
    • Used DDU and reinstalled only the AMD video driver(Crimson 15.11.1) (went to Realtek website for most recent audio driver . Didn't restart, used CMD and typed:
      'expand.exe atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys' (found in AMD folder)
      'expand.exe atikmpag.sy_ atikmpag.sys' (found in AMD folder)
      **Moved these back into my System32->drivers folder, seemed to be a bit more stable at first, but then returned back to crashing. (This was a fix I found online that some reported would help).

I uploaded the general zipfile that is instructed to be posted. But I also uploaded a folder containing four separate debugging reports I had during the bsods (just started collecting them and saving the crash reports).

** It should be noted that this has been frequently referenced as poor driver software from AMD, but I really would like you guys to take a look at it and see if there's anything else I can do other than wait.

:)

frebreez3, Aug 1, 2016

2. Constant BSODs while gaming, watching videos, general browsing.

Hi Eric,

This could be due to an internal conflict in the system which could be caused by a corrupted file or an issue with the hardware itself. To isolate the issue, please provide the following information:

• Aside from the error message, are you receiving any error codes as well?
    • Have you made any recent changes prior to the issue?

For starters, we suggest checking this support article as initial troubleshooting in resolving the issue:
    Troubleshoot blue screen errors. The support article will walk you through the process of addressing the
    issue.

Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any update.

Arthur Rui, Aug 1, 2016
  3. EricM9 Win User
    Constant BSODs while gaming, watching videos, general browsing.

Hello. I have been having this problem for a while now. I will get a BSOD with error messages like SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED,
    etc. while playing a game or general internet browsing. Memtest could not detect any errors and I've done a clean install of the latest Nvidia drivers.

System information:

Windows 10 Pro Version: 10.0.16299 Build 16299

Motherboard: BIOSTAR Group TA970 x64-based PC

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor, 3500 Mhz, 3 core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 4.6.4, 1/14/2013

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti

Here are the latest minidump files on my PC: minidump.zip

EricM9, Aug 1, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello frebreez3 and welcome to TenForums *Smile

I would tend to agree with your diagnosis so far. I captured a few pointers from the dump files below and these confirm there are problems with the AMD drivers. You are using the most recent dated 18 Jul 2016.

Code: fffff801`c63bb838 fffff801`37e5bd94Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atikmpag.sys, Win32 error 0n2 *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmpag.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmpag.sys atikmpag+0xbd94 0: kd> lmvm atikmpag Browse full module list start end module name fffff801`37e50000 fffff801`37ed1000 atikmpag T (no symbols) Loaded symbol image file: atikmpag.sys Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atikmpag.sys Image name: atikmpag.sys Browse all global symbols functions data Timestamp: Mon Jul 18 21:32:52 2016 (578D3CF4) CheckSum: 0008A233 ImageSize: 00081000 Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4 BugCheck D1, {ffffe0001c717080, 2, 0, fffff801378e0bf0} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys Probably caused by : dxgkrnl.sys ( dxgkrnl!DxgNotifyVSyncCB+0 )[/quote] There is evidence of memory corruption but I would guess it is more to do with the drivers than bad RAM. However, I should point out that we do not confirm that RAM is error free until at least 8 passes of the Memtest86+, you would need to repeat the test and leave it for longer to be sure you have tested your RAM thoroughly.

philc43, Aug 1, 2016
  5. frebreez3 Win User
    At first I was frustrated I was going to have to run another memtest on my system, but low and behold, there was a ram error on pass # 6 and #8! (Was on 10 when I stopped it). Just my case alone should be used as an example for why its important to run the FULL 8 tests.

I have two sticks of 8 gb's of RAM; however, I only had one in because I have been trying to diagnose what is wrong with my system. I have now put in my OTHER stick of ram(#2). (the test was run on only one of my sticks of ram (#1) because I knew there was a small chance it could be RAM related). My most recent install of my OS and all my gaming has been done on this one stick of RAM (#1), so perhaps this could be the problem in the end. However, from my knowledge it could also be my DIMM slot for my ram?

In summary, the most recent results came from having 'RAM stick 1' in my DIMM #2 slot. I have now put in 'RAM stick 2' into my DIMM #4 slot. I will run a memtest probably tomorrow night and get back to you to see what I get. If this configuration comes back clean, then it means both the 'RAM stick 2' and the DIMM slot #4 are good. Which makes me want to go test my other RAM stick in this slot #4 to verifiy if its the 'RAM stick 1' thats corrupted or the DIMM slot #2.

Regardless of the outcome, it indicates my OS was installed using faulty RAM (slot/ram doesn't matter still corrupt). Will I need to do a full OS install again? Also, what else will I need to do to get a stable system?

frebreez3, Aug 2, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    Once you have completed the tests on both sticks and also on the slots you will know whether it is just the RAM or if it is the slot on the Motherboard. Either continue with 8GB or buy a new matched pair of memory sticks to use the dual channel mode. Having a matching pair is most important so unless you know that you can buy an exact match to your current good stick it is not worth the time or money saved.

You should not need to do a OS install but note that the new Anniversary Update is here so you will get a new install anyway *Smile

philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD daily while gaming & watching videos - Similar Threads - BSOD daily while

2. BSOD while watching videos on Edge

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD while watching videos on Edge: Since the beginning of August, my Dell laptop keeps experiencing Critical Process Error Blue Screens of Death intermittently but they occur only when I am watching Netflix or YouTube on Microsoft Edge. I have 4 minidump files on this link:...
  3. BSOD Issues while Gaming or Watching videos

BSOD Issues while Gaming or Watching videos: Hello dear Support people, I've been having Multiple BSOD issues while playing games or even watching Videos with a PC I built myself and I have been hoping someone might be able to help me find out what is the cause of all of them and how to fix them. Here is the Event...
  4. BSOD while gaming / watching videos / randomly

BSOD while gaming / watching videos / randomly: I have been getting errors and crashes for a few months, but it's been happening more and more frequently and it's driving me crazy. I just finished doing a fresh install of Windows 10 and now it's still occurring. I upgraded all my drivers and it didn't help. I tried sfc...
  5. Cant watch video while gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant watch video while gaming: Hi, Dont know if this is the right place to post this but i give it a try. I am unable to watch a movie or look at youtube videos when i am gaming at the same time. The symptom is that the video laggs but the audio is fine sometimes. its like its dropping frames but when i...
  6. Bluescreens while gaming/watching videos

Bluescreens while gaming/watching videos: Hey, Over the past few days, I've had bluescreens while playing Dota 2 and watching videos on Youtube and Crunchyroll in google chrome. Could someone please take a look at the attached files and help out? Your time is much appreciated, thanks a lot! 62932
  7. BSOD while watching a youtube video and playing a game

BSOD while watching a youtube video and playing a game: the bsod seems to always happens when i watch a Youtube video and play a small game like Zombidle. i've also had my computer freeze completely, as in the monitor is on with what i was doing but i couldn't move my mouse or do anything at that point i would do a hard reset to...
  8. BSOD while watching a youtube video

BSOD while watching a youtube video: Hello. System specs: CPU: I5-4690k RAM: Kingston Fury 2x4GB MOBO: Z97-D3H GPU:R9 280x PowerColor PSU: NZXT Hale v2 Browser: Google Chrome OS: Windows 10 x64 I was watching a youtube video with ~10 tabs open and I received a BSOD saying that I have kdcom.dll missing...
  9. BSOD while watching YouTube videos

BSOD while watching YouTube videos: I've gotten three BSODs in the past hour or so while watching fullscreen youtube videos. after the first 2 and some googling it seemed to point to my GPU drivers. I used the AMD uninstall tool to wipe them and then reinstalled the latest drivers. I got another BSOD about 10...
  10. BSOD While watching Youtube Videos

BSOD While watching Youtube Videos: Hey all. For the past few months, I have had BSODs while watching youtube videos. It has happened on both Chrome and Edge, so I don't believe its the browser. I also watch Twitch a lot, and it has never happened while watching that. I've attached the logs as the forum...