Windows 10: BSOD: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f) and VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR after update to Windows...

Discus and support BSOD: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f) and VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR after update to Windows... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've been experiencing BSODs with increasing frequency - up to a few times a day - and the occurrences seem to be random: whether idle, under load, on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Joel Ong, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Joel Ong Win User

BSOD: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f) and VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR after update to Windows...

I've been experiencing BSODs with increasing frequency - up to a few times a day - and the occurrences seem to be random: whether idle, under load, on batter power (and battery saver) or on AC power. As far as I can remember, they started after updating to Windows 10 1903. I've tried updating drivers ( particularly the graphics drivers, Nvidia MX150 + intel graphics) resetting Windows (both while saving documents and a complete reset). A few confounding factors:

1. The 1903 update was done through the Windows updater tool instead of OTA updates via windows update
    2. I'm running a Ubuntu - Windows Dual Boot

The .dmp files and system information are below:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_RzRLBPcih_t6mKOhfUcy86Vlvjql2do

:)

Joel Ong, Sep 3, 2019

2. BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f) HELP

A. Analysis Results

File Name: 012419-10859-01.dmp

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)

IMAGE_NAME: nwifi.sys

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for VBoxNetLwf.sys

B. Third Party Drivers

VBoxNetLwf.sys - Virtual Box

Driver Date - 8-Nov-2018

C. Recommendations

1. Create a system restore point so that if something wrong happens you can revert.

Type restore point in Cortana Search > Create a Restore point > Check whether against your drive, Protection is ON or not. If not ON, click Configure button below to Make it ON > Now press Create to create a restore point

2. Update your Virtual box to latest. Your driver date is 8-Nov-18 and see if you get a driver later than this. If Virtual box is not required, get it uninstalled.

Vijay_Verma, Sep 3, 2019
  3. Knots23 Win User
    BSOD when running on battery - driver_power_state_failure

***Merged***

Hello,

Since a few months my laptop - MSI GS60 2PE running Windows 10 Home - started giving BSOD's with the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE after a seemingly random time when running on the battery. As I'm using it every day for work,
    I depend on the machine and managed by just plugging it in.

While that works, I know it should be possible to make it work on the battery...

I've recently "reset this pc" using the build in option in Windows 10, after which I installed all "latest" drivers from the MSI site. I also re-installed all programs required to do my job and play some games.

Yesterday, Windows wanted to install the Fall Creators Update: I did. Booting the laptop while unplugged now gave me another BSOD, though with a different message: VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR. This seems to point to the Intel HD 4600 or Nvidia
    GTX 870M.

To sum up some other issues I was starting out with...

Syptoms

• When unplugged, a BSOD occurs after a seemingly random time. (driver_power_state_failure)
      • After updating to the fall creators version, it also throws video_dxgkrnl_fatal_error; feels like a coin flip which one it will show.
    • Bluetooth was failing after a couple of minutes, regardless whether I used it or not and whether the laptop was plugged in or not.
    • Shutting down Windows would sometimes just heat up the CPU, make the fan go haywire and do nothing but turning the screen off.

I've tried / did:

• All drivers are up to date. This was verified by using DriverView and manually going over all of the non-Microsoft drivers.
      • This step fixed symptom 2 described above. Next to the latest version there was some patch (or 3 major versions ago) that couldn't be removed by conventional means. The build in troubleshooter actually removed it and bluetooth is now working
        as it should.
      • The HD4600 drivers were removed from the device management and I installed the latest according to the Intel site.
      • DDU was used in safe mode to remove the Nvidia driver and the latest one was installed.
    • BlueScreenViewer shows the minidumps and lots of drivers.
      • The one created when the driver_power_state_failure occurred is useless, as nothing is marked but the ntoskrnl.
      • The one created when the video_dxgkrnl_fatal_error occurred shows ntoskrnl, watchdog and dxgkrnl.
    • A clean boot (disabling all non-Microsoft services and disabling all startup programs) still results in the BSOD.
    • Booting the laptop while plugged in, letting it run for a couple of minutes so everything is started and then unplugging it also seems to work.
      • Yesterday, I unplugged it and could work with it for about 2.5 hours before it called out for power: I doubt the battery is the issue.
      • I was asked to run a battery check (powercfg -energy -output ...) but that doesn't seem to show any issues. (design capacity '55031' Last full
        charge '38556'. The laptop is over three years old.)
    • Starting in safe mode with networking will not result in a BSOD. (At least not within the hour I left it on.)
    • Unchecking 'turn on fast startup' - as suggested in so many posts - in the power settings only causes issues.
      • When unchecked, windows won't shut down properly.
      • When checked, it does shut down normally. This seems to be the
        fix for symptom 3.
    • Running various Windows troubleshooters didn't do much. Only the 'Windows Update' said it had some fixes regarding the database and 'fixed' it.
    • The bios is up to date. (Version E16H2IMS.112)

Any help would be welcome.

Cheers!

PS: yes this post looks a lot like my
    previous post
    , but that was marked answered because a moderator thinks all checks suggested can be performed within three days, next to a daily routine.

Knots23, Sep 3, 2019
  4. BSOD: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f) and VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR after update to Windows...

BSOD Error: VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR , DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE & WatchDog.sys after clean install Windows 10 1809

A. Analysis Results

1. File Name: 120818-44593-01.dmp

VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR (113)

IMAGE_NAME: dxgkrnl.sys

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for dxgkrnl.sys

*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys

*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys

2. File Name: 120818-46656-01.dmp

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)

*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys

3. File Name: 120818-50140-01.dmp

VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR (113)

B. Third Party Drivers

nvlddmkm.sys - nvidia

Driver Date - 29-Nov-2018

C. Recommendations

1. Create a system restore point so that if something wrong happens you can revert.

Type restore point in Cortana Search > Create a Restore point > Check whether against your drive, Protection is ON or not. If not ON, click Configure button below to Make it ON > Now press Create to create a restore point

2. Your nVidia driver is very new. The driver date is 29-Nov-18. If BSOD started happening after 29-Nov-18, you have two options

Roll back nVidia driver

Go to computer manufacturer's website and see if any driver is released after 29-Nov-18.

Vijay_Verma, Sep 3, 2019
Thema:

BSOD: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f) and VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR after update to Windows...

1. BSOD: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f) and VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR after update to Windows... - Similar Threads - BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR

2. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 9f BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 9f BSOD: Hello everyone,I'm having trouble with a constant blue screen after upgrading my computer's hardware. I have a Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 install, and i just changed out the GPU, CPU to an Intel i5 12600K, Ram to 32gb G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series, and Motherboard to a Gigabyte...
  3. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 9f BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 9f BSOD: Hello everyone,I'm having trouble with a constant blue screen after upgrading my computer's hardware. I have a Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 install, and i just changed out the GPU, CPU to an Intel i5 12600K, Ram to 32gb G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series, and Motherboard to a Gigabyte...
  4. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 9f BSOD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE & VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE & VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR BSOD: Hello, i've been having some trouble lately on my personal laptop with bluescreens lately. The bluescreens seem to happen most whenever i'm gaming or doing video-editing.I've used WinDbg to try and analyze some of the bluescreens and below i've listed what i've found.Does...
  6. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE & VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE & VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR BSOD: Hello, i've been having some trouble lately on my personal laptop with bluescreens lately. The bluescreens seem to happen most whenever i'm gaming or doing video-editing.I've used WinDbg to try and analyze some of the bluescreens and below i've listed what i've found.Does...
  7. BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 9f

BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 9f: Hello,I purchased a new laptop, and I've been constantly getting crashes due to the same error code: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 9f. I tried a couple of options, made sure all drivers are up-to-date, but none helped. Is it possible to get some help? Here are the 5 Minidump...
  8. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE and VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE and VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR: Hi whoever may be reading this; Over the last couple of months, my Asus laptop has intermittently crashed with the blue error screen dozens of times even after trying multiple fixes. I have performed a an in-place upgrade repair, updated all my driver using intel's tool,...
  9. BSOD Error: VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR , DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE & WatchDog.sys after...

BSOD Error: VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR , DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE & WatchDog.sys after...: Hi, I'm re-posting my issue.and i wish i will get proper solution. i used to update all of my Driver for my Device using "Driver Booster 6". and after update all of my driver and install "NVIDIA Graphic Driver" i'm getting BSOD. and i download intel and NVIDIA driver...
  10. BSOD Error: VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR & DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE after updating to...

BSOD Error: VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR & DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE after updating to...: Hi Dear, I'm using "ASUS Vivobook 15 X542UN" Notebook. Previous Day i download windows 10 1809 from Microsoft website and clean install it. After That i download intel driver from intel official website according to my Notebook Processor...