Windows 10: BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE randomly after cold boot/sleep

Discus and support BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE randomly after cold boot/sleep in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For the past month I have been getting random BSOD's all with driver power state failure. They happen randomly, usually within the first 5-10 minutes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ElderJohn, Oct 10, 2018.

1. ElderJohn Win User

BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE randomly after cold boot/sleep

For the past month I have been getting random BSOD's all with driver power state failure. They happen randomly, usually within the first 5-10 minutes of cold booting or waking my computer. Steps I have taken to attempt to fix the problem:
    • Reinstalled GPU drivers/ tried old drivers
    • Fresh installed Windows 1803, still happened, then fresh installed 1709
    • Disabled Fast Boot
    None of these things fixed the issue, any help would be much appreciated at pinpointing the issue. Thanks

:)

ElderJohn, Oct 10, 2018
  2. Jetsys2 Win User

driver_power_state_failure BSOD during specific cold boot-ups

Here is my unusual BSOD challenge - any assistance you can provide would be very much appreciated:

The fault appeared immediately after upgrading from win 7 to win 10:

Following every windows shut down command (windows-menu>power>shutdown), the subsequent cold boot is interrupted by a BSOD with the “driver_power_state_failure” message, followed by a long duration “black screen” that delays the boot-up. The boot-up completes without any user intervention.

In all other aspects the computer works perfectly - there are no further crashes or BSODs in normal operation.

The net effect is to extend boot-up time by four or more minutes. Also the hard disk free space is reducing by about 0.4 Gb after each BSOD.

The problem is consistent and occurs after every cold boot that follows a shut down using the windows menu>power>shutdown command.

Curiously, it does not happen in any of the following boot-up cases:
    1. After a shut down from a third party program command (example after a shut-down command from the “Cobian” back-up program on completion of a back-up), then cold boot.
    2. After the computer is powered off using the physical power button, followed by cold boot.
    3. On warm boot (windows-menu>power>restart).
    4. Any boot-up from or within Safe Mode (cold boot, warm boot, or power button off - then cold boot).

The following actions have not corrected the problem:

Updated drivers using MS updater and third party driver software.

Ran Verifier on multiple reboots to determine a jmcr.sys (driver for Jmicron SD card reader) violation:
    “A device driver attempting to corrupt the system has been caught. This is because the driver was specified in the registry as being suspect (by the administrator)”.
    Have attempted to update this driver, but Windows returns a message that it is up-to-date. This appears to be confirmed at Acer’s website where the latest driver (win 7 only) is the same date as my installed driver.

The limit of my knowledge is reached here!

The attached Zip file includes all information that was requested in your excellent tutorial.
    Please Note:
    Minidump 042616-20078-01.dmp reports information on Verifer’s crash and the violation it detected in the jmrc.sys driver.
    Minidump 042716-27421-01.dmp reports on the undiagnosed driver_power_state_failure BSOD during cold boot following a “normal” Windows shut down (windows-menu>power>shutdown).

Only two minidumps are included - your data gathering utility was unable to complete when it attempted to collect copies of all available minidumps.
    Computer details:
    Name: Acer Aspire 8930 Laptop

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 32-bit

Many thanks, in advance, for any assistance you can give.

Jetsys2, Oct 10, 2018
  3. Memory Related BSOD Every Cold Boot

First let me list my specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming

CPU: i7 8700k @ stock

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 2133 MHz

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 TI

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO SSD (Windows Installed) 240GB

Seagate FireCuda 2TB HDD

Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD

I cannot find anyone to help me with this problem, so when the i7 8700k came out I bought a new motherboard, RAM and the CPU. But ever since i installed the parts I am now plagued with Memory Management and Kernel Security Check BSODs on cold boots only,
    it will keep giving me these errors seconds after the PC boots for almost a dozen times and then itll be fine until the next cold boot, if I restart the PC it wont give me the BSOD.

Ive reinstalled Windows 2 times but nothing, and I have tested the RAM multiple times with no errors and the PC is fine in Safe Mode.

I think it may be driver related but I dont know where to look.

Adam Garcia, Oct 10, 2018
  4. bbmarley Win User

BSOD randomly

friend keeps getting BSOD
    any suggestions?

BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE randomly after cold boot/sleep 2e3s7lz.png

bbmarley, Oct 10, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE randomly after cold boot/sleep - Similar Threads - BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE randomly

2. Cold boot BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cold boot BSOD: Everyday at startup I get a BSOD. This only happens once and then never for the duration the pc is on. The BSOD errors sometimes vary but this is a analyzed dump file from a recent one:******************************************************************************** **...
  3. Cold boot BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cold boot BSOD: Everyday at startup I get a BSOD. This only happens once and then never for the duration the pc is on. The BSOD errors sometimes vary but this is a analyzed dump file from a recent one:******************************************************************************** **...
  4. BSOD/Crash on Cold Boot and at Random Times

BSOD/Crash on Cold Boot and at Random Times: Starting a few months ago, I always get a BSOD on a cold boot, usually a minute or two after Windows boots up. The system would function fine for a certain amount of time before I would get either another BSOD or white, black, pink or other colored screen crashes. The...
  5. BSOD "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE" after resuming from sleep

BSOD "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE" after resuming from sleep: Hi, My computer BSODs every time I resume from sleep, usually after a minute or two, with the "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE" error. I've tried to update all my drivers and done some troubleshooting on my own, but I can't seem to find the cause of the crashes. I would love if...
  6. BSOD with Driver_Power_State_Failure after waking from sleep

BSOD with Driver_Power_State_Failure after waking from sleep: Ever since updating to Windows 10 I have periodically had a problem with my computer when I wake it from sleep. The symptoms of this are as follows: The machine will wake from sleep fine and I'm able to put in my password etc. After 30s to a minute, the machine will give me...
  7. BSOD DRIVER POWER STATE FAIL after cold boot of PC

BSOD DRIVER POWER STATE FAIL after cold boot of PC: Hello TenForums,newly system built last week, keep getting BSOD after a few seconds into windows login. After the restart everything works normal (games, videos, browsing the internet). Like the title says only happens after the cold boot when i turn the PC next day in the...
  8. driver_power_state_failure BSOD during specific cold boot-ups

driver_power_state_failure BSOD during specific cold boot-ups: Here is my unusual BSOD challenge - any assistance you can provide would be very much appreciated: The fault appeared immediately after upgrading from win 7 to win 10: Following every windows shut down command (windows-menu>power>shutdown), the subsequent cold boot is...
  9. BSOD on cold boot.

BSOD on cold boot.: I have been getting a variety of BSOD's on cold boots. After the first BSOD, everything runs smoothly thereafter; any amount of stress on the PC doesn't cause any BSOD. Things I have tried: Updated bios and all the motherboard related whatnot. Tried to update all my...
  10. BSOD on sleep, DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

BSOD on sleep, DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE: This has been a problem even before upgrading to 10 from 8.1, but its getting worse. I reviewed my drivers in Device Manager and most look up to date. I realized I didn't have a chipset driver installed and that helped for a day or two, but its happening again. Any help...