Windows 10: BSOD error 0xc000185 when booting

Discus and support BSOD error 0xc000185 when booting in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Before I begin, I can't post the dm logs as per the instructions, as I can't boot my pc to windows. So, about 2 weeks ago, my pc began to experience... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ryanjohn, Jul 18, 2016.

1. ryanjohn Win User

BSOD error 0xc000185 when booting

Before I begin, I can't post the dm logs as per the instructions, as I can't boot my pc to windows.

So, about 2 weeks ago, my pc began to experience some lag spikes in windows itself. It would take a good minute or two to open a file that was normally next to instantaneous before. This slowly got worse to the point where I would get BSOD crashes (I forget the error it flagged up at the time, and I can't get back into my pc to check it now)

This came to a head last week, when I couldn't boot my pc, at the first go. It crashed, then rebooted into the BIOS. If i tried restarting the PC, it just went straight back inot the BIOS screen. It took a hard power off, then switch back on to get back into windows.

Now it boots to the Windows 10 'Diagnosing your pc' screen, which takes about 5-10 to get passed. Then it forwards to the recovery screen, none of which the options there do anything. Most just crash the pc and force it to reboot back to either the same diagnosing screen or the BIOS.

I tried inserting a windows disk to format the hard drive, but after the 'press any key to boot from disk' screen, I press a key and it comes up with a page stating that i can't access the disk, citing error 0xc000185 'a required drive isn't connected or cannot be accessed'

A friend who is good with computers said I probably need a new hard drive (the best advice he could give without testing it himself) so I did exactly that. Installed the new hard drive last night to exactly the same error.

Can anyone help, I will give as much info as I can get from the pc

:)

ryanjohn, Jul 18, 2016

2. Blue screen of death

Yeterday my hp pavilion 23 had restarted itself now when I try to turn it on. I am getting a blue screen stating

file efi microsoft boot bcd

Error 0xc000185

Have tried making a iso disk but I can't get it to work. I can't get my computer to go past that. What do I do?

ShaneAdams, Jul 18, 2016
  3. error codes 0xc000185

have windows 10 and get this error. will reboot and get selected boot image did not authenticate , press to continue screen, then at times will get a harddisk error.... i have replaced the harddrive, the cr 2032 internal battery, and still continues to
    have same issues... after turning on and off a number of time then it boots up with no problem. if i turn it off for some time the process starts all over.. have no idea what is going on.

MANNYBARCENA, Jul 18, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

philc43, Jul 18, 2016
  5. ryanjohn Win User
    Well as I swapped my old hard drive for a brand new, blank one last night, and I still got the same issues, wouldn't that remove the possibility of the hard drive being faulty or software issues?

ryanjohn, Jul 18, 2016
  6. ryanjohn Win User
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm only an amateur learning the ropes, trying to get my head around the issue

ryanjohn, Jul 18, 2016
  7. philc43 Win User
    I suggested the USB method because you seemed to be having problems getting the DVD to boot the windows disk. Perhaps I misunderstood.

philc43, Jul 18, 2016
  8. ryanjohn Win User

No you're right, I do have that issue. It wont boot from the disk.

Windows installs on the hard drive though, correct?
    If it was a windows issue, I'd assume you'd fix it by formatting and reinstalling Windows.
    Failing that, a new hard drive should fix the issue (maybe even overkill, depending on the problem)
    If the same issue crops up on a brand new blank hard drive (as you observed, I can't get windows to install on it), then I'd assume the issue is elsewhere, even if I can get windows to install on my hard drive via flash drive

ryanjohn, Jul 18, 2016
  9. philc43 Win User
    Yes, you could have a motherboard issue.

At the moment we do not know if the hard disk is the problem but you suspect that it is. Did you replace the old hard drive with the new one or did you add the new one alongside?

The first problem will be trying to boot with either the DVD or USB media so that you can repair the old hard disk or install Windows on the new one.

philc43, Jul 18, 2016
  10. ryanjohn Win User
    I took the old one out and completely switched it for the new.

If the old hard drive was causing software issues, I wanted to get it as far away from my machine as possible, to verify the suspected hard drive issue BSOD error 0xc000185  when booting :p

Then I put my windows 7 disk (the only one I have to hand at the moment) in said blank hard drive and still got the error, hence scratching that off the list as a solution.

My next thought was motherboard as well, even though it's only 1 - 1 1/2 years old

ryanjohn, Jul 18, 2016
  11. philc43 Win User
    You will be much better downloading a new W10 installation disk rather than going back to W7. Because you already had W10 activated it will be registered as a digital entitlement on your Motherboard and so it will automatically activate again.

Of course you will need to do this on an other computer and create the media; either a DVD or USB drive with a matching W10 system. Select the 64bit HOME and the English International language.

philc43, Jul 18, 2016
  12. ryanjohn Win User
    I'll do that tonight when I go home. I'm using a pc in work at the moment, and once I go home, I wont have internet access until tomorrow. Unless I fix my pc tonight.
    If that doesn't work, do you have any solutions/preparations I could be doing in the meantime?

ryanjohn, Jul 18, 2016
  13. philc43 Win User

If you have a manual on your motherboard you could check that or download it so that you can be ready to check any of the BIOS settings or reset them to optimized defaults in case you continue to have problems getting anything to boot.

philc43, Jul 18, 2016
  14. ryanjohn Win User
    Already rest everything to default in the BIOS, didn't change a thing, sadly *Sad

ryanjohn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD error 0xc000185 when booting - Similar Threads - BSOD error 0xc000185

2. Error code: 0xc000185

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error code: 0xc000185: When I wanted to open my Acer laptop which is from 2012, I encountered a problem.After a while of loading by loading I mean showing the Acer logo for a long time it gave me an blue screen giving me a 0xc0000185 error.When I pressed Enter to try again, it gave me a bit more...
  3. Error code: 0xc000185

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error code: 0xc000185: When I wanted to open my Acer laptop which is from 2012, I encountered a problem.After a while of loading by loading I mean showing the Acer logo for a long time it gave me an blue screen giving me a 0xc0000185 error.When I pressed Enter to try again, it gave me a bit more...
  4. Error code: 0xc000185

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. BSOD when booting PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when booting PC: Hi, I am having an issue where I randomly get a BSOD on boot of the system. I have two dump files which i have attached in this link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B_rtpEKy1pujzfjeR6YQ7pIKYAmhogD6/view?usp=sharing Thanks for any help...
  6. BSOD error on booting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BSOD error on booting: Hi, Today I started my PC to work, usually it starts in 30 sec. But this time it took around 2-3 min which was a sign of something wrong. The moment I had this intuition my PC crashed with blue screen error and its not booting up and i am unable to do my work. Any help will...
  7. error code 0xc000185 and 0xc000000f

error code 0xc000185 and 0xc000000f: So I recently started having problems with my pc... Whenever I try to boot it up I get this message: [ATTACH] sorry for the overly large picture F1 doesn't work It just loads on my monitor to return to the recovery screen. F8 doesn't do anything I haven't been...
  8. Error: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO, BSOD when booting the PC

Error: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO, BSOD when booting the PC: My laptop: Dell vostro 3550 I've just disassembled and cleaned my laptop just the main and fan, everything even test laptop work well . But that night laptop shows BSODError: Bad_systems_config_info. I've tried boot in safemode but still this error! I've tried system...
  9. BSOD when booting

BSOD when booting: I bought a new PC about a week ago and i have to deal with BSOD errors during startup and when I shut it down, for example when I see the Windows logo, the screen is stuck but only occurs once a day. Everything is up to date, I have already tried to run Memtest86 one passe...
  10. BSOD error 0xc000185 when booting, unable to boot past blue screen.

in Windows 10 Support
    BSOD error 0xc000185 when booting, unable to boot past blue screen.: I have tried using the repair tools on the windows 10 media installer. Although, on the system restore option, it just takes me to a small window that says I need to select an operating system, and that I need to restart the laptop, choose an operating system and go back to...