Windows 10: BSOD every few hours or few days - very random

Discus and support BSOD every few hours or few days - very random in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm confused. Are you saying the XPS 8700 as currently configured does not have sufficient cooling for the GeForce card? I don't want to damage the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by stonerobertc, Sep 3, 2015.

1. BSOD every few hours or few days - very random

I'm confused. Are you saying the XPS 8700 as currently configured does not have sufficient cooling for the GeForce card? I don't want to damage the computer from overheating, but getting a new cpu or computer was not part of the plan. It is not used daily as Ina full time job computer, but it is used daily in varying amounts.

stonerobertc, Sep 11, 2015
  2. axe0 New Member

I am saying that if you were planning to do those stuff on a very regular base, then you might need a better cooler for the i7-4770 because this CPU would produce a lot of heat, or you would need a CPU producing less heat with the same amount of tasks.

Just be careful to not do it for too long, so you need to check a few things in the begin (CPU temperature, fans blowing good etc.).

3. Thanks for the response regarding heat. I am monitoring processor temps.

I unloaded the IRST program in the control panel since I had already disabled IRST in services. It worked fine from 8 this morning until a few minutes ago (5pm my time). It crashed a few minutes ago with "attemped execute of non-execute memory" on the BSOD. Here is the latest dump info.
    Attachment 37175

The latest version of Lightroom has the option for Lightroom to use the graphics processor. Lightroom says it is compatible with my GPU, but maybe not. I have disabled Lightroom's use of the graphics processor on the chance they really are not playing well together. Does that make sense to you?

stonerobertc, Sep 12, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

BSOD every few hours or few days - very random

"attemped execute of non-execute memory" is usually caused by drivers.

But I cannot find traces of a driver.
    Again, please update your software, there are some drivers that need updating.

5. I thought I had updated every driver I could find. Can you tell me which ones you are talking about? I have gone through everything in the device manager and checked for updates. I have done as many as I can directly from the manufacturer's web site. Some like Spyder3 don't have updates, but that has been disabled. Are there some I have missed or are there other ways to do it?

stonerobertc, Sep 12, 2015
  6. Shiekh Win User
    After installing windows 10, I am unable to get past the option select screen for timezone/keyboard languages and such without a critical process failure/bsod. Often times I will not even get that far, and it will simply crash the moment it boots. I have already attempted uninstalling and reinstalling, but this has had no effect, and the problem persists.

Shiekh, Sep 12, 2015
  7. axe0 New Member
    Checking of everything is updated via device manager isn't the way, because device manager mostly will say that the driver is up to date. I'm experiencing it with a driver from 2006 that certainly has updates.

From Pure Networks, I don't know what Pure Networks is, but there are a few drivers
    Code: 6/6/2009 2:06:44 AM C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\pnarp.sys 6/6/2009 12:32:06 AM C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\purendis.sys[/quote] Western Digital has an old driver
    Code: 4/16/2008 4:39:08 AM C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wdcsam64.sys[/quote]

8. Shiekh Win User

After swapping out the power supply and RAM, to no effect, I finally put some silicone oil on the CPU pins; has been rock solid ever since...

Shiekh, Sep 12, 2015
  9. axe0 New Member
    Hi @Shiekh,

Please don't repeat what you already said in other threads.

10. Shiekh Win User
    My apologies, just felt it might be relevant to many threads, and useful to others.

Wondering if it was just coincidence or related to how Windows 10 seems to use the hardware more efficiently.

Shiekh, Sep 12, 2015
  11. axe0 New Member
    We appreciate you share your solution, but the difficulty with BSOD's is that the causes are pretty much every time different.
    For you it is cleaning the CPU pins, for someone else it is updating a single driver related to hardware, for another it is updating a peace of software, for another it is a bad hard drive etc.

12. After much frustration in trying to find the offending driver(s), I finally decided to do a fresh install of Windows 10. I did that Sunday and thought things looked good. However, it crashed again yesterday. Attached is the dump file. Attachment 37617

I would appreciate any thoughts. I think all drivers are new. I am not sure what else to do or check. It suggests to me there is a hardware problem, but I have run tests on everything and nothing shows up.

stonerobertc, Sep 14, 2015
  13. axe0 New Member

Apologies for the delay, I've been quite busy.

Did you have anything connected to your pc when the crash occurred?
    The cause is a USB driver, this could mean a few things
    • If anything was connected
      • a faulty port
      • damaged connection (the device that was connected has a faulty USB connection)
    • Corruption in the system files

14. I had the things attached that I would normally have attached to the computer, which is a lot. Trying to not change too many things at one time. I have 10 USB ports, 6 USB 3.0 and 4 USB 2.0. All but 3 of the ports have something attached. There are two USB hubs. One is USB 2.0 and the other is USB 3.0. The USB 2.0 hub has 4 external drives with their own power supply attached. The USB 3.0 hub has two external drives with their own power supply. I have a mouse, a wireless keyboard fob, a film scanner (not turned on) and a Wacom tablet attached to USB 2.0 ports. There is a USB 3.0 card reader attached to the other USB 3.0 port. The only thing added with the new monitor and video card was the USB 3.0 hub. However, it seems to work fine.

I switched back to my original video card Monday night, but with two monitors. The 4k monitor was only at 1920x1200 on the old card. Things seemed to work fine for at least 24 hours (Monday night to Tuesday night). It then occurred to me that I had only tried the second 4K card (GeForce) after the clean reinstall and had not tried the first 4K card (quadro k620) with the fresh operating system. So, last night I reinstalled the quadro k620 card and it was fine overnight. Not sure what I will see when I check it this evening. All of these changes have been made with the same USB items attached.

I have had some issues recently with a power surge error when I plugged USB powered external drives into either of the two front USB 3.0 ports, but those ports have been empty during all of this.

stonerobertc, Sep 15, 2015
  15. axe0 New Member
    That indeed is a lot
    Please try sfc again to see if any changes have occurred

Thema:

1. BSOD every few hours or few days - very random - Similar Threads - BSOD every few

2. Random BSOD every few hours

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random BSOD every few hours: My computer crashes intermittently even if I'm not there doing anything and it's asleep every once in a while, I don't know what's causing it. The error code reads 139, so following instructions I found on here and used the Driver Verifier, crashing as a result of it, then...
  3. Random BSOD every few hours

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random BSOD every few hours: My computer crashes intermittently even if I'm not there doing anything and it's asleep every once in a while, I don't know what's causing it. The error code reads 139, so following instructions I found on here and used the Driver Verifier, crashing as a result of it, then...
  4. Getting BSOD randomly after few days or hours.

Getting BSOD randomly after few days or hours.: I randomly get BSOD in few days and even few hours of keeping on my computer this issue has started most probably after a powercut but i installed new Windows just 2 days before because of the same problem it happens randomly and my system works fine for some hours like today...
  5. Random BSODs every few days

Random BSODs every few days: For the past few months I've been random BSODs for seemingly no reason, the computer isn't being stressed or doing anything 'unique' at the time it happens, the BSOD errors include : 01/06/23 : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA01/03/23 : Memory Management : WARNING: Unable to...
  6. Random BSODs every few days

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random BSODs every few days: For the past few months I've been random BSODs for seemingly no reason, the computer isn't being stressed or doing anything 'unique' at the time it happens, the BSOD errors include : 01/06/23 : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA01/03/23 : Memory Management : WARNING: Unable to...
  7. Random BSODs every few days

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. BSODs Every Few Hours

BSODs Every Few Hours: Hello, my laptop has been having various BSODs throughout this year. In a day it can restart once every two hours. The most common errors are memory management, unexpected store exception, kernel data inpage error, critical process died, bad system config info and invalid...
  9. BSODs Every Few Days

BSODs Every Few Days: Hello, I recently upgraded my PC with new mobo/gpu/cpu/ram, and have been having BSODs on and off since. They have only happened when I was away from the computer, so I didn't realize they were happening until one occurred while my wife was using Autodesk Revit. She has...
  10. BSOD every few hours

BSOD every few hours: Hello Community, i'm pretty well tech educated but i am running into some issues with a pc built for my uncle that is experiencing frequent blue screens of death. But we are having issues figuring out which hardware component or driver is failing. The Error/BSOD:...