Windows 10: BSOD Everytime: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT 0x0000001a 00000000`00004477

Discus and support BSOD Everytime: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT 0x0000001a 00000000`00004477 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello all, First time poster, thanks in advance for all tips and assistance. This one has me stumped! I am getting a BSOD (BC shown in title), exact... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by rfrance67, Dec 26, 2015.

1. rfrance67 Win User

BSOD Everytime: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT 0x0000001a 00000000`00004477

Hello all,

First time poster, thanks in advance for all tips and assistance. This one has me stumped! I am getting a BSOD (BC shown in title), exact same one, every time I put my laptop into sleep, hibernate or power off.

I've done all the usual stuff, listed here, plus other things I am probably forgetting like safe mode etc... Now running Driver Verifier (for the first time). Seems like I should be able to figure this out since it is the same one, but I don't have VC setup with debug symbols to see the failing line of code. So I am hoping someone who does this more often will be able to check it out and/or offer any other insight.

I have attached the .zip file with all the logs, output from CPU-Z and a couple of minidumps found here
    Attachment 55634
    Attachment 55635
    Attachment 55636

Since they are all the same (or very, very close) I just attached two. My theory was that the pagefile was not getting written fast enough or something, but haven't been able to change anything that modified or alleviated the BSOD.

Notes on what I have tried so far:

Read tons of related articles on here, MS forums, T. Hardware, .... Didn't keep a list, it is a lot, figured surely someone had seen this. Interestingly I can't find this exact error code (para 1 is 0x...4477) documented anywhere, including MS and here:
    BSOD Index (Great reference, thanks John Carrona!)

SSD system
    Tried three different SSD SanDisk Extreme II, SanDisk Extreme, SanDisk Ultra II

Upgraded new memory 4GB to 8GB (previously done, but suspecting memory issue, tried a bunch of working sticks to verify sockets and see if something wrong with these, can't find anything)
    Tried both orders; tried original 4GB set, both orders; tried 4GB set from other laptop, worked fine from other upgrade, both orders; tried 8GB upgrade from other laptop, working fine in other laptop

1. Did driver updates (used a tool to find latest versions)
    2. Did sfc, ok
    3. Did chkdsk, ok (new image on new SSD in 2/3 cases anyway)
    4. Did memtest, memtest.org, ok (on new sticks, currently in)
    5. Updated BIOS (latest is 9c.25.00)
    6. Swapped memory sticks (see full list above)
    7. Verified pagefile is full sized. Tried with no pagefile (in case of timing issue with SSD) small file and full file. Currently at full file size.

After driver verifier (assuming it doesn't turn up the smoking gun) I am thinking maybe retrograde the BIOS, and see if that has any impact. They did several spins for thermal issues on the GPU I am not seeing, so maybe the latest isn't required. I have no way to adjust timings on this laptop, and if I did, not sure I would want to mess around with that. Laptop that has to stay on but works is much nicer than a brick!

Thanks in advance!

:)

rfrance67, Dec 26, 2015

2. BSOD - Windows 10 - ntoskrnl.exe+16c388

This shows up on the blue screen as Memory_Management. Happens 3 or 4 times a day. Anyone have any clues? On a Lenovo Z570 with 8GB RAM. I have a minidup dump if anyone wants it.

BlueScreenView shows: 081615-5906-01.dmp 8/16/2015 12:54:41 PM MEMORY_MANAGEMENT 0x0000001a 00000000`00061941 00000000`02d43f98 00000000`0000000d ffffd000`226c5b00 ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.exe+14dd00 x64 ntoskrnl.exe+14dd00
    C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081615-5906-01.dmp 8 15 10240 282,784 8/16/2015 12:55:39 PM

Larry E Williamson, Dec 26, 2015
  3. two BSOD on connecting Sony Camera

Hi

I've had two BSOD stop 0x1a in the past 10 days. Both are Memory Mgt, both have been 5 seconds after connecting a Sony camera.

BlueScreenView v1.55 by Nir Sofer tells me:

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    0x0000001a
    storahci.sys
    storahci.sys+658e
    MS AHCI Storport Miniport Driver
    10.0.15063.332 (WinBuild.160101.0800)
    x64

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    0x0000001a
    USBXHCI.SYS
    USBXHCI.SYS+f33d
    USB XHCI Driver
    10.0.15063.0 (WinBuild.160101.0800)
    x64

Both Device drivers appear to be new with 10.0.15063 and are dated 6/June/2017.

Camera works fine after the restart.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Eric-Moore, Dec 26, 2015
  4. rfrance67 Win User

Hello all,

Finished running Driver Verifier for 24 hours no results. Looks like downgrading the BIOS is problematic, so I'll wait to see if anyone here has any thoughts before I go that route. Still hopefully that a look at the minidumps with symbols will reveal something as the BSOD all look identical and are 100% occurring.

Read a few other threads on power/sleep related BSOD, but none are the same BC and the have done the debugging steps listed in any case.

Thanks all!

PS - looks like most people here reply rather than edit their posts, haven't seen many edits or anything in the guidelines. I know if I am doing a bump it should be in the other thread. thanks....

rfrance67, Dec 27, 2015
  5. axe0 New Member
    Please remove / disable items from the startup in taskmanager
    These programs could interfere with the boot process giving you trouble and increase the boot time.

How many passes have been completed with the memtest?
    What settings have you used for driver verifier?

6. rfrance67 Win User
    Hello,

Thanks very much for the help, will reply back after disabling all the startup programs.

rfrance67, Dec 28, 2015
  7. rfrance67 Win User
    Hello again,

Ok, interesting results. I started with safe mode, absolute minimum everything, dump called minimal services. Hibernate and shutdown OK. Then I turned off minimal, but stayed in safe mode, so still small list. Hibernate and shutdown OK. dump called SafeModeNotMinimal. Then I turned off safe mode, but manually disabled every service that was not a MS service. So no third party at all, even for track pad etc... Failed on hibernate. Did full capture, Selective startup shows the MS services running and also did a full capture with the collector tool.

I thought i had the collector tool still on the laptop when I was in safe minimal, but i didn't so I just did an export of the services list.

So It seems like it is something with one of the MS services. Any way to tell without just turning them on one by one until it fails? I can do that, but with a few minutes per power cycle and lots of services, it would take a pretty long time. Hopefully there is a hint somewhere?

Also captured a bootlog, but I didn't see anything in there, but I attached it anyway.

It seems the good news out of this though, is that it is another data point that it is not the HW. Will continue to dig around until I hear back....

Appreciate your help,

rfrance67, Dec 28, 2015
  8. axe0 New Member

There is a hell of a list of drivers that need updating/removing/reinstalling.

Please post a link from your manufacturer to the drivers, bios and software updates, I can't find anything.
    Is according to your manufacturer your laptop ready for Windows 10? I see some drivers dating 2006, 3 years before the release of Windows 7.

9. rfrance67 Win User
    Hello,
    It is an older laptop, Gateway only supported it through W7. The MS checker said it was W10 compatible, and other than this issue, everything seems fine.

There is no direct link, it is some kind of dynamic page. The drivers there have not been updated there in a while. I am using a program called DriverMax to help identify the latest version of drivers. There are only a few not at the latest according to it, so they may be old, but not sure there will be many newer ones. I don't know how good the tool is, but when I used it the first time during my refresh, it did help me update quiet a few.
    The ones it lists as not updated are as follows:
    Attachment 55990
    So I didn't think they were critical, but I will update them to finish getting everything caught up.

I can uninstall some probably, but not sure how I know which ones are still used. I use this laptop for a ton of very different things, many of which require some type of large installation that has drivers that I don't follow the details closely. For example the robotics program I am involved with install a ton of National Instruments software, and it includes various updaters and drivers.

Anyway, the official location is here:
    Drivers & Downloads, then select the Notebooks, P-Series, and P-78 options to get to the doc/downloads.
    Attachment 55992

Can you tell anything from the logs or minidumps about where the crash is occurring and/or which driver is causing it? I can do additional cleanup, but I was hoping that since it is always in the same place the debugger would give us some direct hint?

Do you know any better/additional driver management tools?

Again, thanks!

rfrance67, Dec 29, 2015
  10. axe0 New Member
    The best driver management tool is yourself, do it manually and prevent corrupted drivers/wrong driver installations.
    Manufacturers alter their drivers what forces you to only install their drivers, any other driver will cause you problems.

I recommend to revert back to Windows 7. Microsoft says your laptop is compatible but the drivers delivered by your manufacturer aren't, because your manufacturer doesn't bring updates. That is the problem for you.
    Microsoft can only check hardware compatibility, but nothing more. Someone shouldn't always do something because someone else tells him to do it.

11. rfrance67 Win User
    Hello,
    I agree it would be best to manage each driver individually, but that is difficult as there isn't always a lot of information available about each one and digging takes time and may not reveal anything. I need to be on W10 for other software, so reverting isn't really an option unfortunately. I thought of that too, my month isn't up yet. I have some questions about reverting, but I'll need to see if there is a different forum for that. I am afraid reveting wilnot be a clean process and I end up having to reinstall. I don't have media, had to buy a W7 license just to upgrade to W10. And I would have to get another W10 laptop, which isn't an immediate option.

Although you haven't explicitly stated it, I'm assuming there is no information to be had from the minidumps or other logs identifying either the line of code (e.g. what it is doing) or which driver/service is causing the issue? I had hoped, but wasn't counting on it. If you have any other debugging tips that would be great. In the meantime I guess I'll have to keep digging into which driver/service it is and hope I can find it, and that it is not critical. Fortunately it is just on sleep/hibernate/poweroff, and the machine is stable while running.

One other last thought, I haven't seen any signs of any HW issue and you haven't mentioned it. Since it can be modulated by super restricted safe mode and 100% of the time not in that configuration, I am pretty sure this is a software/driver issue of some kind. Just mentioning it in case you did see any signs of HW issue in any of the logs that I might have missed.

thanks...

rfrance67, Dec 29, 2015
  12. axe0 New Member
    Most likely the main causes are the outdated drivers, some are 9 years old.
    Some you can update by updating programs or reinstalling programs like Malwarebytes, but others are drivers your manufacturer provides.

You can't really fix the problem for Windows 10 due to outdated drivers, I can show you what drivers are outdated but I can't do much more.

13. rfrance67 Win User

Hello,

Ok, that would be helpful. I will update all the ones I can. I have uninstalled all the NI software for now, and a bunch of other stuff. No luck yet. Next I will update what I can then start picking away at the list of MS services that get disabled in the SafeBoot Minimal. If I can figure that out, it will be a good hint towards the issue....

rfrance67, Dec 29, 2015
  14. axe0 New Member
    Like I said, the problem with your system is the drivers, you never will be able to update them to Windows 10.

15. rfrance67 Win User
    Hello ,
    So I figured it out. It is the softmodem driver. Once I figured out using WinDbg, it was actually fairly straightforward. Here are some details for others with similar consistent BSOD that produce minidumps.

1. Go to Microsoft and download the standalone WinDbg. It is easy to find, and there is plenty of help, for example:
    Debugging Using WinDbg - Windows 10 hardware dev

I think this is easier than full Visual Studio, YMMV.

2. Load the minidump into WinDbg. I loaded symbols from Microsoft public server, you may not need to do this, but it is very helpful. In my case it didn't have the symbols for the driver, so it complains about it, and means I found mine without those symbols. You will get a whole bunch of output about symbols you can ignore, looks like this:
    Attachment 56500
    3. When you get a command prompt, type in: !analyze -v, and you'll get output (hopefully) like this:
    Attachment 56501
    4. Pretty easy to see the culprit here: CAX_CNXT.sys which is a driver for the softmodem
    5. You can find is on your computer in the drivers folder, or use the LMVM command to locate it:
    Attachment 56502

So I unloaded this driver, and I can go in and out of sleep fine. Hurray!

I hope that might help other people. Now I am looking on the best way to permanently delete/disable the driver. Things that don't work so far:
    1. Using device manager to uninstall and delete does not work
    2. Deleting the driver files directly, even if I do both .inf and .pnf, even if I do step 1 first
    3. gpedit - I have Win10 Home, so sadly no gpedit for me
    4. pnpuntil - holds promise, Win10 home does have that. Going to play with that to either do it once (I guess this will fail as 2. above fails and I think Win10 will auto update it) -OR- create a batch file or something to run pnputil either before sleep or after waking up. I think this will work in some fashion.

So now that I invested the time to figure out how to use WinDbg a little, I think analyzing BSOD in the future will be easier and faster, with less trial and error. I hope the tips above might help others do the same. And there are tons of other things you can debug with these tools. It seems pretty easy, but I do have a background in developing (long time ago on Windows though), but there are tons of help files and it is all free.

I am going to mark as solved because I found the BSOD root cause, even though I am still automating the fix, which seems a different project to me.

Good luck to you all, and regards,

rfrance67, Dec 31, 2015
Thema:

1. BSOD Everytime: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT 0x0000001a 00000000`00004477 - Similar Threads - BSOD Everytime MEMORY_MANAGEMENT0x0000001a00000000`00004477

2. BSOD everytime

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD everytime: Hello,I bought a computer a few monthes ago, I had no problem at the beginning but now it always crashes with a BSOD.... I tried a lot of things, changing RAMS, HDD etc... but I still have the problem.I cant do anything, can anyone help me to understand where the problem come...
  3. BSOD everytime

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD everytime: Hello,I bought a computer a few monthes ago, I had no problem at the beginning but now it always crashes with a BSOD.... I tried a lot of things, changing RAMS, HDD etc... but I still have the problem.I cant do anything, can anyone help me to understand where the problem come...
  4. Different BSOD errors everytime.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Different BSOD errors everytime.: Hello everyone, I bought one and a half motnths ago different PC-Parts see list below and build my own PC. I didn't use it a lot at first, but when I started using it I noticed that it crashed a lot, with blue screen errors and I tried many solutions posted on the internet....
  5. PC crashes and gets bsod everytime

PC crashes and gets bsod everytime: For the past week I have been having some problem in my computer. I leave my computer on to auto farm some stuff in this game while I sleep overnight and my pc has autoshutdown on everytime. I have been doing this for almost 1 month without problems until this week my pc...
  6. multiple BSODS everytime

multiple BSODS everytime: so I recently upgraded to windows 10 and I'm getting a lot of different bsods every time sometimes MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and sometimes UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION I'm getting those every time I'm in the middle of any game so there are the 2 dmp files I got...
  7. WHEA BSOD Everytime PC Is Turned On

WHEA BSOD Everytime PC Is Turned On: Windows 10 Pro v1903 Beginning about two weeks ago, every time I power on my PC, I get a BSOD with the WHEA stop code. After making a system dump, the PC restarts and all works fine until I next power the PC off. I have run "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth",...
  8. WHEA BSOD Everytime PC Is Turned On

WHEA BSOD Everytime PC Is Turned On: Windows 10 Pro v1903 Beginning about one week to ten days ago, every time I power on my PC, I get a BSOD with the WHEA stop code. After making a system dump, the PC restarts and all works fine until I next power the PC off. I have run "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image...
  9. BSOD everytime

BSOD everytime: Ok so I am having a very strange issue. Background: so basically i just built a brand new computer, bought all the parts and built it myself and everything seemed to be working fine, even though i installed windows 2 times (the first time i formatted harddrive because i...
  10. BSOD everytime open browser

BSOD everytime open browser: Hi, as title, i try uninstall the driver ( AMD ) but everytime restart it auto install. i already disable window update but still keep getting BSOD. please find attach file. thank you. 41731