Windows 10: BSOD - Fault in hardware?

Discus and support BSOD - Fault in hardware? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello community, I ran into a BSOD yesterday. Two stop codes I am getting are. "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED" My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Mat_ThomasZA, Feb 10, 2020.

1. BSOD - Fault in hardware?

Hello community,

I ran into a BSOD yesterday. Two stop codes I am getting are.

"IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL"

"SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED"

My hardware is new 3 Months Old

Ryzen 3600, Corsair veng. Mem. & ROG Strix B450 F System running at default values

have changed out memory and tested in other system - all fine

I turn on PC,it displays "preparing automatic repair" - after a few seconds it BSOD and displays one of the two stop codes mentioned above, then resets and trys to repair itself for a few hours then crashed again. completely unable to access windows even in safe mode.

I thought my m.2 was at fault so removed it.

Have disconnected all my hard disks. except for a new SSD.

decided to try install fresh copy of OS.

have made USB boot disks. 2x windows ISO and 1x Ubuntu.

PC at start does hardware checks DEBUG led's on Motherboard report all is well

I select "F8"boot options , i select boot from USB, PC starts to load from USB then Crashes and resets. Same result from all Boot up from USB, inc the linux ISO.

when trying to load in on a linux system i get "some sort of kernel stop error"

for ubuntu system - shows "purple screen" at start of boot from USB then crash.

Would anyone else suspect faulty CPU or Motherboard ?

:)

Mat_ThomasZA, Feb 10, 2020

2. GTA IV and the dreaded BSOD

One (or more) of the cores in the CPU could be failing. Games can't ever cause a BSOD unless they are dabbling in affairs that they shouldn't be (namely hardware configuration without interfacing via the drivers).

Does the BSOD list a faulting module (e.g. mom.exe, nv4_disp.dll, ccc.exe, etc.)?

FordGT90Concept, Feb 10, 2020
  3. Msap14 Win User
    BSOD Hardware Caused???

they do weird things like that, which all seem like something else is failing.
    One of the worst things to diagnose, they seem to only quit when they want to.

Memtest is a good next step, if you rule out RAM and Power Supply make sure you disconnect all unnecessary peripherals and try to start the system with as little hardware as possible, if it works then, you can narrow down the culprit by trial and error.

the follow was taken from some website:

It's very difficult to determine if a failure is caused by the CPU because many other components can cause the same symptom when they fail.

1. System fails to boot
    2. System re-boots intermittently
    3. General Protection Fault
    4. Illegal Operation
    5. Stop Error, or BSoD (Blue Screen OfDeath)

Actually, CPUs rarely fail, and about the only way to determine if the CPU is causing the failure is to swap it out with a known working CPU of the same type and speed. Since this is difficult, the best bet is to first rule out every other possibility.

Before suspecting the CPU, rule out all the possibilities listed below.

1. The Operating System
    2. A peripheral port device
    3. A bad memory module
    4. The hard disk drive
    5. The power supply
    6. The motherboard

If you have ruled out out all the other possibilities, investigate the items listed below.

1. Overheating
    2. A short circuit
    3. ESD

Msap14, Feb 10, 2020
  4. Blaine Win User

BSOD - Fault in hardware?

BSOD: Page Fault in nonpaged area File: cdd.dll

I'm running windows 10 build 14393 on a laptop.

Some backstory: I've been getting very frequent BSODs with the error being "kernel security check failure"- about once every 2 days. I think I finally narrowed the issue down to being caused by my new usb 3 hub. I unplugged the hub and got no BSODs for about a week- at least until today.

Today I got a BSOD but instead the error was "Page Fault in nonpaged area" (a message that I've never seen on this computer before). The file concerned was cdd.dll. What could be causing this type of BSOD?

My ram is new (got it around the same time as the USB hub- 2 months ago). However, this is the first time I've gotten the page fault error message in the 2 months with the new ram, and the "kernel security check failure" errors kept occurring when I put the old ram in as a test. Memtest also completed 1 pass fine. Other than that, no hardware has been "changed" per-se, but I did open my laptop and put it back together to replace the screen which had broken.

If you'd like to read the above paragraphs in bullet form:

• 2 months ago: Replaced screen
    • 2 months ago: Changed RAM
    • 1.6 months ago: Started using new USB hub
    • 1.5 months ago: Started getting BSODs "Kernel security check failure" fairly regularly.
    • 1 month ago: Put the old ram back in
    • 1 month ago: Memtest completed successfully
    • 1 month ago: Continued to receive kernel security check failure BSODs
    • 1 week ago: Stopped using USB hub
    • 1 week ago: stopped receiving kernel security check failure BSOD
    • Today: got a BSOD "page fault in nonpaged area" with the file being cdd.dll
    • Today: chkdsk completed succesfully

Blaine, Feb 10, 2020
Thema:

BSOD - Fault in hardware?

1. BSOD - Fault in hardware? - Similar Threads - BSOD Fault hardware

2. BSOD Page Fault

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Page Fault: Hi support,I have been getting a regular BSOD Page fault for a month now. I have updated NVIDIA drivers , AMD chipset drivers and removed things that were installed just before the fault started happening. I have done memory checks and error checking with no faults apparent....
  3. BSOD Page Fault

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD Page Fault: Hi support,I have been getting a regular BSOD Page fault for a month now. I have updated NVIDIA drivers , AMD chipset drivers and removed things that were installed just before the fault started happening. I have done memory checks and error checking with no faults apparent....
  4. BSOD Page Fault

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. critical_process_died blue screen - cant find hardware at fault

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    critical_process_died blue screen - cant find hardware at fault: Hello, at the end of January I had a problem with my computer which I initially thought was a problem with the system, but now I have no idea what the cause is.The situation now as well as back then is as follows: there is no problem when I am on the desktop of any program I...
  6. Lost windows activation due to hardware fault and reinstall.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost windows activation due to hardware fault and reinstall.: I have recently switched out my pc hardware and reinstalled windows 10 on a new drive using the media creation tool. I had a digital license linked to my Microsoft account. Once installed, I used windows update to upgrade to windows 11. Worked fine. I didnt know however that...
  7. Black screen crashes but not the fault of the hardware

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black screen crashes but not the fault of the hardware: Hello iv had my descktop for about a 4 months now and a week or so ago i had a couple of balck screen crashes took inot the shop to get a helath checl they ran a **** ton of diagnostics everything came back perfect we just assumed it was something to do with the music...
  8. BSOD seemingly caused by hardware fault

BSOD seemingly caused by hardware fault: Hi Guys, Been battling with a BSOD for a while that according to blue screen viewer is being caused by hal.dll. Traced this to mean some sort of hardware error so have tried cleaning out PC to eliminate and heat issues and run memory tests a couple of times which have...
  9. Sick PC, multiple faults. Software or hardware?

Sick PC, multiple faults. Software or hardware?: Hello and thanks for having me *chuckle To cut a long story short my computer is now a brick, or potato etc etc *Sad It's stuck in a continuous blue screen death loop. I'm getting multiple fault messages, to name a few : Your PC ran into a problem and needs to...
  10. bsod memory fault?

bsod memory fault?: I have a brand new laptop asus n752vx: 2 weeks old. I have used treesize a number of times*Redfacence when i started to scan the c: drive the laptop freezes for 3 seconds and then there was a bsod.I didn't regard to the message on the bsod screen but the windbg tool says me...