Windows 10: BSOD for no reason on New Win10Pro install. Possible USB related.

Discus and support BSOD for no reason on New Win10Pro install. Possible USB related. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there, I have the Asus P9x79 Pro motherboard. Windows 10 jacked up my system some time ago and the latest update caused a several minute lag on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by stephenpten, Jan 11, 2017.

1. BSOD for no reason on New Win10Pro install. Possible USB related.

Hi there,

I have the Asus P9x79 Pro motherboard. Windows 10 jacked up my system some time ago and the latest update caused a several minute lag on my login screen. I also ran into DCP Watchdog violation BSOD at least once a day.

I did a clean install using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool (I created a bootable USB disk to use). I got it up and running but now every couple of hours it seams I get a BSOD with the Driver_Power_State_Failure. I looked into it using BlueScreenViewer but only see ntoskrnl.exe being problematic. But reading about that it sounds like it's a different issue causing problems with the ntoskrnl.exe. As you can tell, I don't know anything about this stuff. But, I did attach the info you request in the Posting Instructions.

For what it's worth. I suspect this issue is related to USB drivers. Usually I didn't notice anything stop working before or after the BSOD, and the BSOD never happened at a consistent time or manner (that I can pick up on at least). Sometimes while opening an email, other times while editing video, and other times as I was out of the room. However, this last time after I rebooted, my USB keyboard did not respond when I trying typing in my Windows password. Unplugging it and plugging it into an external hub allowed it to work.

So, can anyone be so kind as to help me tackle this? I despise the Asus P9x79 Pro motherboard- I've had nothing but troubles with it...

Thank you for your help!

-Stephen

:)

stephenpten, Jan 11, 2017
  2. DB5169 Win User

Activation transfer

Hi...I recently purchased a OEM license key for Windows 10pro x86/x64. Installed a MS usb flash drive downloaded version of Win10pro x86/x64 not version 1511...on to my older AMD motherboard and processor. It activated no problems. My question is...Can
    I transfer this Win10pro OEM key license to my new motherboard and processor legally, so it will activate ? Of course I'll be using the SSD from the first install on the new motherboard. thanks for any advice.

DB5169, Jan 11, 2017
  3. Tony_FCB Win User
    Window 10 PRO updates

Hi,

I would like to know if I am using WIN10 PRO and if there's any new WIN10 updates how do I do it without connection to the Internet. Due to some security reason the PC running on WIN10 PRO has no Internet connection.

1. Can I manually download the new WIN10PRO update from another PC/Laptop, then copy and install it onto the PC running WIN10 PRO? If this is possible what is the procedure and steps?

2. Do advise if there other methods.

Thank you!

FCB

Tony_FCB, Jan 11, 2017
  4. BSOD for no reason on New Win10Pro install. Possible USB related.

It's BSOD 3 times since posting the request for help *Sad This last time the keyboard stopped working again, but I unplugged the mouse and plugged in the keyboard (I moved the mouse to a different port) fixed it. So I wonder if there's a chance the keyboard is bad. Just now I swapped the keyboard out with another keyboard to see if that makes a difference. Also attached is the latest log.

stephenpten, Jan 11, 2017
  5. Just wanted to update you so you're not wasting time trying to help me. It seems to be stable right now after updating the BIOS on the mobo, updating the firmware, uninstalling USB 3 controllers in the Device Manager, booting into BIOS to disable all USB 3 ports, reseating all plugs inside (front panel USB), Clearing the CMOS, booting back to windows and reinstalling the ASM USB drivers (I don't recall if they were from ASUS or from somewhere else- I did this multiple times so I don't remember...).

So far it seems to be stable. No crash in over 4 hours, which is HUGE! Here's what I came across online: Asus P9X79 Pro USB 3.0 ports - AnandTech Forums Again, because I tried so many things and so many different sequences, I don't know exactly what worked, but hopefully this could help someone.

Or tomorrow it starts crashing again and I'm back here again... But I hope not. I'll mark it as Solved if it can run for 24 hours without crash. Otherwise I'll be back with another zip file.

Thanks,
    -Stephen

stephenpten, Jan 12, 2017
  6. Scratch that. I just got another BSOD. The zip is attached. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Stephen

stephenpten, Jan 12, 2017
  7. Ztruker Win User
    Latest dump indicates a problem with partmgr.sys and asstahci64.sys.
    Code: BugCheck 9F, {3, ffffcb8713798060, ffffb9818cdf9960, ffffcb87114bebd0} *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for partmgr.sys *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for asstahci64.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for asstahci64.sys Probably caused by : asstahci64.sys[/quote] Code: Driver Description: Asmedia 106x SATA Host Controller Driver Driver Update Site: ASMedia Technology Inc. 祥碩科技 or - http://alldrivers.****.net/news/asmedia_drivers/1-0-17[/quote] You probably have the 3.1.6.0 version dated Jun 16 2015. There is an updated driver Asmedia ASM-106x Sata 6G controller Drivers Version 3.1.9.0 WHQL. See if that makes any difference.

partmgr.sys is a OS file, not the cause of this problem. though it does have to do with hard drives like asstahci64.sys.

You have a lot of hard drives!!!!!!!!

Ztruker, Jan 13, 2017
  8. BSOD for no reason on New Win10Pro install. Possible USB related.

Ztruker,
    Thank you so much for your help! I was able to find Version 3.1.9.0 and updated it via Device Manager. Man, I hope this works! If it does work, should I investigate any further into partmgr.sys?

I'll give it a day and see what happens!

And yes, I have a ton of hard drives!! I do video editing and have multiple projects on different drives (I have a few internal, but most are set up as RAID drives within 4 bay enclosures. I'm trying to figure out a better system *Smile

Thank you again for your help, I really appreciate it.
    -Stephen

stephenpten, Jan 13, 2017
  9. I hate to report that I had another crash last night. I didn't get a bluescreen, at least not one that I saw. But when I came into the office the screens were blank and the computer was unresponsive. Using BlueScreenView I see it was another "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE"

I've attached the latest zip for you to see. Thank you for any help you can provide!

stephenpten, Jan 14, 2017
  10. Ztruker Win User
    The last 4 dumps I looked at all show a problem with asstahci64.sys.
    Code: BugCheck 9F, {3, ffffcb8713798060, ffffb9818cdf9960, ffffcb87114bebd0} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for asstahci64.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for asstahci64.sys Probably caused by : asstahci64.sys[/quote] Code: Driver Description: Asmedia 106x SATA Host Controller Driver Driver Update Site: ASMedia Technology Inc. 祥碩科技 or - http://alldrivers.****.net/news/asmedia_drivers/1-0-17[/quote] Definitely need to update the driver if possible.

Ztruker, Jan 15, 2017
  11. Code: Driver Description: Asmedia 106x SATA Host Controller Driver Driver Update Site: ASMedia Technology Inc. 祥碩科技 or - http://alldrivers.****.net/news/asmedia_drivers/1-0-17[/quote] Definitely need to update the driver if possible.[/quote] I currently have driver version 3.1.9.0 for the "Asmedia 106x SATA Controller". Is there another instance of this driver that I also need to replace, or should I roll back to a previous version (2 versions ago)?

Thank you,
    -Stephen

stephenpten, Jan 15, 2017
  12. Ztruker Win User
    Since there is no newer driver, try rollung it back, see if that resolves the problem. If not then not sure what can be done.

Is this an add-on card or on-board?

Ztruker, Jan 17, 2017
  13. BSOD for no reason on New Win10Pro install. Possible USB related.

Thanks for your help on this. I ended up doing a clean install on a different hard drive, but this time following the x79 Windows install method which has me custom install the drivers before windows installs. (I followed several forums posts, but most were from this forum). I set my BIOS to RAID and after manually installing the correct drivers I proceeded to install Windows. Finally, I went back to BIOS and changed from RAID to AHCI and reinstalled the ASMedia drivers again. I thought this was a hack of the past, but it seems it's still a thing, I guess. So far no Blue Screen... Time will tell. I'll mark it as Resolved tomorrow... hopefully.

Thank you again for your help!

-Stephen

stephenpten, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

BSOD for no reason on New Win10Pro install. Possible USB related.

1. BSOD for no reason on New Win10Pro install. Possible USB related. - Similar Threads - BSOD reason Win10Pro

2. Issue on new Win10Pro install on new system.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issue on new Win10Pro install on new system.: Hi. I am Fiaz. I have an odd issue on a new install of win 10 Pro on a brand new new system. Fail to make a successful install to the new kit. Can see the USB key and start the install process. Mainly fails after showing the blue windows logs on screen. Got to the...
  3. Computer freezing, possibly related to usb

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer freezing, possibly related to usb: I've been having an issue with my computer for the past few weeks. The video and sound will freeze completely and after a few seconds, the sound will return with the sound notification as if something has been plugged into a USB port but the video does not unfreeze. When I...
  4. BSoDs Possibly Tablet Related?

BSoDs Possibly Tablet Related?: Hi, so I keep on getting frequent different errored blue screens and I think it may have something to do with my tablet driver. Although they used to happen almost 5+ times a day before, a quick system reinstall fixed it. They now only seem to reliably happen when I'm using...
  5. BSOD Win10pro with Lenovo

BSOD Win10pro with Lenovo: BSOD, especially when using Teams, on Win10pro. I checked with bluescreenviw but no error string, nothing to show that a device/driver is causing the issue - seems to be the kernel itself. Dumps and sysinfo can be found here:...
  6. Abrupt reboots, no BSOD, dump files enabled, possibly USB-related

in Windows 10 Support
    Abrupt reboots, no BSOD, dump files enabled, possibly USB-related: Note: The computer in question is my second PC on my system specs, not the one with the Asrock motherboard. My computer has been randomly rebooting on me. I could be doing something and then it'll reboot, which is causing me a massive headache. I also have it set so that it...
  7. BSOD - Possibly hardware related?

BSOD - Possibly hardware related?: Hi all, I have an MSi GT70 20C Laptop that I've had numerous problems with. When I first ordered this laptop it was dead on arrival, and had to be shipped back for fixing. Since i've gotten it back, I have had BSODs ranging from 0-2 times a week up to 6 times in a...
  8. Bugcheck possibly USB drive related

Bugcheck possibly USB drive related: Hi find attached the bug check report, only two things that I can think of that would have caused this is USB drives attached, using KeepAliveHD to have my Western Digital My Book Drive not go to sleep or the GEFORCE drivers, which is updated but I do know there is issues...
  9. Frequent BSODs of unknown reason. Possibly caused by new PC component

Frequent BSODs of unknown reason. Possibly caused by new PC component: Hi. I have recently upgraded my PC. The upgrade included: A 2GB DDR2 Kingmax RAM stick. A 250GB SATA II Hitachi hard drive, which is a replacement for my old broken hard drive. An NVIDIA GeForce 210. I performed a clean install of Windows 7 after the hardware...
  10. Occasional BSOD - Possibly internet related?

Occasional BSOD - Possibly internet related?: I have had my computer BSOD 5-6 times in roughly the past 2 weeks. The error on the BSOD is always CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, and it typically happens when I am surfing the web. Once, it happened while watching a video file on my drive. Before the BSOD shows up, the computer...