Windows 10: BSOD & hard crashes playing Steam games and/or using Netflix/Hulu apps

Discus and support BSOD & hard crashes playing Steam games and/or using Netflix/Hulu apps in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello! My Dell XPS L502X laptop is constantly having hard crashes, watchdog BSODs, and extremely high disk (and sometimes memory) usage. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by robotparrot, Sep 9, 2016.

1. BSOD & hard crashes playing Steam games and/or using Netflix/Hulu apps

Hello!

My Dell XPS L502X laptop is constantly having hard crashes, watchdog BSODs, and extremely high disk (and sometimes memory) usage. This normally occurs while using the Netflix/Hulu apps or running games in Steam, both separately or simultaneously. I can generally get almost an entire day of Netflix/Hulu, and sometimes am able to play a game for awhile before the crashing occurs.

For reference, here are a list of the errors I have encountered:

• BSOD "video_scheduler_internal_error"
    • BSOD "Clock_Watchdog_Timeout"
    • NVIDIA OpenGL "Unable to recover from a kernal exception. Error code 3 (subcode 2)
    • Display driver stopped responding and has recovered "Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version (XXX.XX)** stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
    • stuttering, checkered pattern (only on secondary monitor) locking up entire system

**I used several different drivers
    Games absolutely crash 9/10 times more than Netflix/Hulu or even YouTube (which I don't think has ever caused a crash.....goodguyyoutube.jpg). Most games don't even make it past 5 minutes.

The levels of usage observed in Task Manager as follows:

Memory: 30%-49%
    Disk: 70%-100%
    [This primarily occurs when launching pretty much any application or performing a task]
    Things I have done to problem solve:

• 3-5 clean installs of Windows 10 64bit Home Edition
    • DDU+ clean install of either older drivers or updated drivers
    • sfc /scannow | dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • Monitored all temps under 70°
    • removed Malwarebytes and Spybot
    • FurMark GPU Stress Test (min:44C - max: 53C)
    • ran Driver Verifier (couldn't read the faulting driver's name)
    • compatibility mode
    • underclocking under 100 with MSI Afterburner
    • disabling 540 GT
    • unplugging secondary monitor
    • updated bios
    • disabled and stopped running Windows Services "Superfetch" and "Windows Search"
    • turning off "show me tips about Windows", "Show app notifications", "Show app notifications on the lock screen", "Show alarms, reminders, and blah blah", "Hide notifications while presenting".
    • increased virtual memory

I also have a secondary monitor, a Sharp TV.

For reference, here is a list of the games I currently (try to) play:

• Sid Meier's Civilization V
    • Prison Architect
    • Always Sometimes Monsters
    • Dead State
    • Project Zomboid
    • Fallout: New Vegas
    • The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
    • State of Decay

I sincerely thank anyone and everyone who tries to help out! THANK YOU.

Attachment 100659

:)

robotparrot, Sep 9, 2016

2. Windows 10 and Hulu and Netflx

I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday. I really like it. When I went to play Netflix or Hulu or a movie on Vudu, they wouldn't play, the one on Netflix would play but I could only hear it, Hulu wouldn't play at all and neither would the movie on Vudu.
    Anyone know what I need to do to fix this.

M. AndreaHebert, Sep 9, 2016
  3. DGEbio Win User
    Netflix Error Message

NETFLIX and HULU points to windows. Windows points to netflix and Hulu. It seems like the only real option is to give up on windows phones. Does anyone have a fix for these apps for a windows phone?

DGEbio, Sep 9, 2016
  4. BSOD & hard crashes playing Steam games and/or using Netflix/Hulu apps

Hello robotparrot and welcome to 10 Forums! *Smile

Most of the BSODs were caused by nvlddmkm.sys which is the Nvidia Graphics Card driver, I noticed that you are running an older version of it:

Code: nvlddmkm 1/22/2016 7:25:59 PM[/quote] I would recommend that you update the drivers for maximum stability.

Drivers | GeForce

Edit: Oh and when you install the drivers be sure to select custom installation and there should be a tick box for doing a clean installation! It will basically remove the old drivers etc.

Cheers, Boris *Smile

BorisTheAnimal, Sep 9, 2016
  5. I would recommend that you update the drivers for maximum stability.

Drivers | GeForce

Edit: Oh and when you install the drivers be sure to select custom installation and there should be a tick box for doing a clean installation! It will basically remove the old drivers etc.

Cheers, Boris *Smile[/quote] Hey Boris, the reason I am using an older driver is because the newest one basically insta hard crashes my entire system. I clean install all of my drivers after of course booting into safe mode and using DDU to uninstall all previous drivers. I outlined in my post everything I have done and all the types of errors I have encountered. Trying the latest drivers (clean installed, of course) is one of the listed methods attempted. Thanks!

robotparrot, Sep 9, 2016
  6. Okay.

I think that it's crashing because the integrated graphics (Intel HD Graphics 3000) drivers are outdated and it causes errors.

So I would like for you to test these drivers:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...-bit-N-Series-

I've also seen a lot of people having problems with Windows 10 and this notebook GPU.

Oh and I also saw this on Dell's support page:

Code: Dell is not testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for this product. If you choose to upgrade, some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected.[/quote] Cheers, Boris *Smile

BorisTheAnimal, Sep 18, 2016
  7. Cheers, Boris *Smile[/quote]

"This installation package is not supported by this processor type." *Sad

robotparrot, Sep 19, 2016
  8. BSOD & hard crashes playing Steam games and/or using Netflix/Hulu apps

Alright well that's kinda odd but try this one instead:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...ml?iid=dc_iduu

It will scan your PC for outdated drivers and update old ones if it finds any.

Cheers, Boris *Smile

BorisTheAnimal, Sep 20, 2016
  9. Upon attempting to install the newest chipset, I was given an "unknown error". I've attached a screenshot and the log.Attachment 102505Attachment 102504

robotparrot, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

BSOD & hard crashes playing Steam games and/or using Netflix/Hulu apps

1. BSOD & hard crashes playing Steam games and/or using Netflix/Hulu apps - Similar Threads - BSOD hard crashes

2. Steam Games Crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steam Games Crashing: Hi! Can anyone help me? My steam games keep crashing mid game randomly. I only have steam, OBS streaming, and a browser open. Even when I have just steam and a browser open my the same problem occurs. I have a Nvidia RTX 4090, AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 16-Core Processor, and 64GB of...
  3. Steam Games Crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Steam Games Crashing: Hi! Can anyone help me? My steam games keep crashing mid game randomly. I only have steam, OBS streaming, and a browser open. Even when I have just steam and a browser open my the same problem occurs. I have a Nvidia RTX 4090, AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 16-Core Processor, and 64GB of...
  4. Problem when using second display to stream apps like Netflix - hulu

Problem when using second display to stream apps like Netflix - hulu: Hi, I have currently two displays connected to my pc one is my main 24-inch monitor the second is my 55-inch tv when I start to use sites like Netflix or Amazon Prime on my tv the show I'm watching constantly keeps disconnecting when I use streaming websites otherwise works...
  5. BSOD with Netflix app

BSOD with Netflix app: Hello, I seem to be having consistent bsod when using the Netflix app on my windows 10 laptop. Doesnt seem to happen with other video files. The stop code I receive is: THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVERS_M dxgkrnl.sys I have updated my display drivers and bios and I still...
  6. Netflix and Hulu Stutter and Crash PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Netflix and Hulu Stutter and Crash PC: (If you watch the video be careful with the sound, there's a loud thump when i set my phone down). I have a very very annoying problem with these websites. Anytime I pull up Netflix or Hulu, my system stutters hard for a second, then my monitor turns black. This has never...
  7. SCREEN RECORDING SOFTWARE WHILE USING NETFLIX/HULU

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SCREEN RECORDING SOFTWARE WHILE USING NETFLIX/HULU: A few days ago, I've been using ShareX's screen recording software recording shows from streaming services like Netflix/Hulu & etc. & suddenly, when I watched a video after I screen captured it. I keeped seeing a blank screen with the audio portion still being herd. I've...
  8. Netflix app and Netflix on Edge = hard lock

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Netflix app and Netflix on Edge = hard lock: The issue... Randomly, when using the Netflix app or Edge to stream Netflix, the entire PC will lock up. No error, nothing in events. Hard reset only option. My setup... Windows 10 latest i7 @ 3.7ghz 32GB DDR 3 @ 1333 AMD 850+ GPU multi monitor output - 2 x HDMI, 1...
  9. my pc want play movies from hulu but will play netflix

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my pc want play movies from hulu but will play netflix: my pc want play movies from hulu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-want-play-movies-from-hulu-but-will-play/4e601d6f-c66b-40c1-9994-cc881359d9c5
  10. Netflix causing BSOD while using the Netflix app and internet browsers

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Netflix causing BSOD while using the Netflix app and internet browsers: I have been experiencing BSOD while watching Netflix in both the app from the Microsoft store and a variety of internet browsers. As far as I can tell my drivers are up to date. Any help would be appreciated....