Windows 10: BSOD hardware failure while playing modern games on Lenovo gaming laptop

Discus and support BSOD hardware failure while playing modern games on Lenovo gaming laptop in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo IdeaPad L340 Gaming Laptop that I just got at the last weekend of November this year. The specs should allow it to run modern games, at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JosephBerida, Dec 22, 2019.

1. BSOD hardware failure while playing modern games on Lenovo gaming laptop

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad L340 Gaming Laptop that I just got at the last weekend of November this year. The specs should allow it to run modern games, at least on Low to Medium graphics settings.

I was able to play The Outer Worlds from start to finish for 30 hours on mostly High settings, with the game only crashing once.

Now I'm playing Control with all the settings bumped down to the lowest, and I've been able to play about 8 hours, but not without getting BSOD crashes. The laptop boots right back up just fine.

I'm thinking it's got to do with the CPU, GPU, or RAM. I know Control is one of the most graphically intensive games out right now, but it actually runs well on the lowest settings with a pretty solid framerate.... until the laptop just decides to crash.

I've been monitoring my laptop's CPU and GPU temperatures. It only gets really high when I bump up the graphics going past 90 degrees celsius!, so I've settled on playing it at the lowest settings to keep the temperatures around 45 to 65 degrees celsius. I've done some undervolting as well to help with that.

It's just been inconsistent, because I was able to play for hours in one session without crashing, and then for another session it just crashed not even 30 minutes in.

I wouldn't be sweating it and posting here though if it was just the game crashing and kicking me back to the desktop. It's the BSODs that worry me.

I've updated all my drivers using Windows Update.

I've uninstalled the antivirus software that came with the laptop, which were McAfee and Avast.

I've run chkdsk before and it didn't fix this issue.

Windows Troubleshoot isn't recommending any BSOD fixes.

Specs:
    CPU: Intel Core i5-9300 @ 2.40GHz
    RAM: 8GB
    Motherboard: LENOVO LNVNB161216 U3E1
    GPU: 4095MV NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Lenovo
    Storage: 1TB WD HDD, 500GB SSD

Link to msinfo: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak9zBEBtVV9KgjaLO3PquPX_uXPU?e=kmDDvX

Link to latest crash minidump: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak9zBEBtVV9KgjMh2Vu-gMG-6KFs?e=Llrlw8

I'm ready to accept the most obvious solution that I just shouldn't play Control anymore because my computer can't handle it, but I'd like to hear from people who can actually analyze BSOD crash dumps to point out if there might be a bigger underlying problem with my relatively new computer.

:)

JosephBerida, Dec 22, 2019

2. BSOD When playing games

Hi Jackson,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Please share the information requested below:

• Does the BSOD occur while playing a particular game?
    • Is the game downloaded from Windows Store?

I suggest you to update the Graphic Card drivers by following the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters.
    • Right click on the driver and select Update Driver Software.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts to update.

Refer the link below for more information:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Dec 22, 2019
  3. gaming

i have a 2017 gaming laptop and i want to play some of my old pc games. i want to play the games listed below and i hear that older games cannot run on modern laptops. i checked on windows store and steam,
    they are not purchasable there. is it still possible to play?

• driver 2: the wheelman is back
    • driver 1: you are the wheelman

Dead Eye 9432, Dec 22, 2019
  4. BSOD hardware failure while playing modern games on Lenovo gaming laptop

gaming

i have a 2017 gaming laptop and i want to play some of my old pc games. i want to play the games listed below and i hear that older games cannot run on modern laptops. i checked on windows store and steam,
    they are not purchasable there. is it still possible to play?

• driver 2: the wheelman is back
    • driver 1: you are the wheelman

Dead Eye 9432, Dec 22, 2019
Thema:

BSOD hardware failure while playing modern games on Lenovo gaming laptop

1. BSOD hardware failure while playing modern games on Lenovo gaming laptop - Similar Threads - BSOD hardware failure

2. Lenovo laptop BSOD when playing games while plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lenovo laptop BSOD when playing games while plugged in: My laptop goes BSOD when I play games while it is plugged in. I open a game while plugged in and then it crashes, fans go really loud and the goes to blue screen saying video dxgkrnl fatal error. I tried playing without plugging it in and it runs well the fps is not that...
  3. Lenovo laptop BSOD when playing games while plugged in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lenovo laptop BSOD when playing games while plugged in: My laptop goes BSOD when I play games while it is plugged in. I open a game while plugged in and then it crashes, fans go really loud and the goes to blue screen saying video dxgkrnl fatal error. I tried playing without plugging it in and it runs well the fps is not that...
  4. BSOD while playing games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD while playing games: Hi i've a problem with my pc. Usually while gaming with games like Diablo,Baldur's Gate 3 my pc crashes and restart alone and i don't know why. I've found some minidumps of the crash that are happening. I tried to check what was inside the mindump, but i don't know how i can...
  5. BSOD while playing games.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD while playing games.: I posted this in the general forums section before I really knew what I was doing, but this time I actually followed the proper instructions posting the minidumps, using the v2 log collector, and now I did it right. So for that, I apologize. I have been getting BSODS while...
  6. BSOD WHILE PLAYING GAMES

BSOD WHILE PLAYING GAMES: So I've been getting bsods while playing gamesall games. My hdd and ram are perfectly fine. I've tried running mem diag tool, sfc scannow and crystal disk info no errors and in good condition. Has been happening for a really long time. Windows keeps getting corrupted, hdd...
  7. BSOD while playing a game

BSOD while playing a game: It was happening before and then I fixed it by uninstalling my drivers and updating them, but then a couple days later it starts happening again various codes like driver irql not less or equal and others. https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgMhnEImXryNinz5leQW4KkIe1Kx...
  8. BSOD while playing games

BSOD while playing games: My computer crashes to BSOD while playing various games, the BSOD varies from SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED to HAL INITIALIZATION FAILED. The only information I gained while doing a driver check was that cmuac.sys was causing one of the BSOD's...
  9. BSOD while playing a game

BSOD while playing a game: I recently updated my computer by installing a new MB, CPU, RAMs, and an M.2 SSD. I also purchased and installed a new copy of WIN10 professional because of the MB change. It turns on fast and works nicely, except that it goes into BSOD sometimes when I start a game. The...
  10. BSOD while playing games

BSOD while playing games: Hi, I'm new here and I discover this forum from the HP support. I have BSOD from the half of May when I play some games. The weird thing is that I have the blue screen only on some games not all. Like GTA V or the forest while with other games I'm fine. I'm sure this is not...