Windows 10: BSOD, lost C drive, cannot reinstall Windows, missing NTFS file?

Discus and support BSOD, lost C drive, cannot reinstall Windows, missing NTFS file? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi. I'm tearing my hair out with an 11 month old laptop. It rebooted and I got the BSOD. Subsequent reboots just went through to the set up screen,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Whtrz, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Whtrz Win User

BSOD, lost C drive, cannot reinstall Windows, missing NTFS file?

Hi. I'm tearing my hair out with an 11 month old laptop.

It rebooted and I got the BSOD. Subsequent reboots just went through to the set up screen, and then to the Troubleshooting options, none of which did anything to help.

It was obvious it just couldn't find the C drive - when going to the cmd prompt it kept saying X: and didn't recognize "C:"

With everything on cloud back up, I thought i would just reinstall W10 and start from scratch - but it won't let me install it. After selecting the option for 64 bit install and loading files it just says "windows failed to start", tells me to restart the computer and select "Repair your computer" (an option that doesn't ever come up) and says

File: \windows\system32\Drivers\ntfs.sys
    Status 0xc0000098
    The operating system couldn't be loaded because of a critical system driver is missing or contains errors

...I'm at my wits end and have no idea how to get around this. Any help would be appreciated.

Joseph

:)

Whtrz, Mar 29, 2019
  2. Jobber Win User

Reinstalled Windows XP; Hard Disk Drive(CBSOD, lost C drive, cannot reinstall Windows, missing NTFS file? :) Still Has 251 GB of Used Space

Due to a missing or corrupt System\32 file, I had to reinstall Windows XP with my manufacturer's Recovery disk.

I knew this would wipe out my access to all my files and computer programs, and it did.

Starting fresh again with Windows XP, I decided to defragment the disk drives, perform an Error Check, and scan for any viruses or spyware.

To my amazement, all the old files and programs I had before reinstalling Windows are somewhere still on the computer's C: Drive!!!

So I did a Disk Cleanup and compressed some of the old files.

However, these files and programs are still taking up 251 GB of space, over half the space of my computer's capacity of 451GB.

I only have 214GB of free space left.

I was not able to uninstall or remove or delete the old files and programs before I reinstalled Windows XP; my operating system was not working at all.

Questions:

So, my questions are:

1) Is there anyway to access the old files and programs after reinstalling Windows XP???

(My understanding is it is basically impossible to do so).

2) If I cannot access the old files and programs, how do I get rid of them and free up the 251 GB of Disk Space on my C: Drive???

Jobber, Mar 29, 2019
  3. Bootable USB with ISO - What am I missing?

Just don't suggest what you don't understand mate...

Ferrum Master, Mar 29, 2019
  4. SirJangly Win User

NTFS File Allocation Size

Gah, I set it to default *Frown BSOD, lost C drive, cannot reinstall Windows, missing NTFS file? :(

Is the windows 7 partition C drive? Thats what mine is, and I is for everything else. Problem is, programs like to default to that C drive, a pita.

SirJangly, Mar 29, 2019
Thema:

1. BSOD, lost C drive, cannot reinstall Windows, missing NTFS file? - Similar Threads - BSOD lost drive

2. NTFS Drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NTFS Drives?: I did all the windows updates all at once and now when I try to access my drives it says NTFS? When I try to open the drives file names are not showing up either any quick fix to this? I can’t access the recovery options as well the buttons are not working there...
  3. NTFS Drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NTFS Drives?: I did all the windows updates all at once and now when I try to access my drives it says NTFS? When I try to open the drives file names are not showing up either any quick fix to this? I can’t access the recovery options as well the buttons are not working there...
  4. Cannot Save Files to the C Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Save Files to the C Drive: I have changed my permissions to full and ensured that I am a Administrator, but I still cannot save a csv file to the C drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-save-files-to-the-c-drive/e3c88010-6f73-49cc-a4f2-db7e820e11dc
  5. Cannot Save Files to the C Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Save Files to the C Drive: I have changed my permissions to full and ensured that I am a Administrator, but I still cannot save a csv file to the C drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-save-files-to-the-c-drive/e3c88010-6f73-49cc-a4f2-db7e820e11dc
  6. windows, and microft files missing and cannot reinstall them

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    windows, and microft files missing and cannot reinstall them: So my photos app seized working so I went and attempted to reinstall it with microsoft store but every time I attempt to use microsoft store. It simply does not start as if there are files missing entirely from my microsoft apps folder. which most likely came from me...
  7. Lost all files in C Drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost all files in C Drive.: I need help from technical support urgently. I lost all my files in all folders - Music, Download etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-all-files-in-c-drive/2c95561b-1182-47fe-8b2f-96cf46b9c2c6"
  8. The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive.: My win 10 has updated yesterday, and after that I got blue screen with error NTFS.SYS when I run chkdsk C: /f /r /x I got the following: The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. What I should do?...
  9. The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive.: My win 10 has updated yesterday, and after that I got blue screen with error NTFS.SYS when I run chkdsk C: /f /r /x I got the following: The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. What I should do?...
  10. cannot create a file on c drive

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot create a file on c drive: Hi, Anywhere on the c drive, I cannot create files. I can only create folders. How can I change this ? Where in Windows 10 can I set myself as the power user ? 61559